• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    7.63 is not cheap and zero surplus avail

Agreed. With the foreign market drying up, I am looking at more domestic produced C & R handguns and rifles. The only down side is the price of many of models.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Like most ammo, Tok ammo can be found with some looking. Found some myself at the last Lancaster Gun show; $19/50. Vendor had plenty

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    19/50 corrosive is sucky prices, maybe not now, but unheard of two years ago.
    I Really think that these ammo rushes we keep having every 4 years or so are hurting [ or helping if your a seller] the surplus market in terrible ways. People flock to available surplus ammo and shoot that until 9mm comes back. Unfortunately, surplus never comes back, when it's gone, the surplus is gone, and you pay for current manufacturer prices. I don't mean to be a tinfoil hat guy, but I seriously foresee the end of surplus as we know it coming soon. Look at Rguns or SOG. They had warehouses full of 7.62x54 no more than a year ago [ I know, I've got the calendar :)] , now they are sold out. How long can this cold war stash hold out? R guns was selling it at 150.00 with a free mosin rifle not more than a year and a half ago as part of their Obama stimulus package. Dark days are coming in the C+R world and mosins may very well be the next tokarevs, which are fast becoming the nagant pistols of shooting.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I hate to say this, but lack of cheap ammo is what has kept me from buying a Romanian TTC 7.62x25. If I ever stumble on a cheap Polish Tokarev, I'll probably pick it up, but the lack of ammo is depressing.

I'm even more surprised since the Yugo Tokarevs are still available as new mfg from SOG. (FFL-01 req'd).

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    new production x25 ammo is no more expensive than 9mm. barrels are easily changed with 9mm barrels, same magazine is used too.

x25, is a very powerful round too. Rumor has it that it will go through level II body armor.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    new production x25 ammo is no more expensive than 9mm. barrels are easily changed with 9mm barrels, same magazine is used too.

x25, is a very powerful round too. Rumor has it that it will go through level II body armor.

My reading said level III body armor...... either way that's reason alone to get a Tok!!!!!

edit; HERE's a Youtube video; not a scientific study but effective. It was the surplus round that went through, but not the modern Winchester round.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    From the youtube vid's I've seen, a trauma plate will stop it, but Kevlar alone doesn't.

I like the whole John Browning clone design, but since I've gotten my C&R license I seem to have fallen into the gun-a-month club. This, unfortunately, is unsustainable due to the mandatory Colt EBR purchase earlier this year.

So now I am checking the ads for an actual JB designed Sistema 1927. Hoping to pickup a <really cheap> shooter like reverendbeer did here.

:fingerscrossed:

elwojo

File not found: M:/Liberty.exe
    Dec 23, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    From the youtube vid's I've seen, a trauma plate will stop it, but Kevlar alone doesn't.

I like the whole John Browning clone design, but since I've gotten my C&R license I seem to have fallen into the gun-a-month club. This, unfortunately, is unsustainable due to the mandatory Colt EBR purchase earlier this year.

So now I am checking the ads for an actual JB designed Sistema 1927. Hoping to pickup a <really cheap> shooter like reverendbeer did here.

I saw that Ballester and thought to myself "why wouldn't I want one of those!" Damn beautiful gun! Just one gun per month?!

I honestly like my Tokarev - but depending on how easy ammo is to come by, it might be more of a learning experience into how to buy a C&R shooting weapon rather than how to use and maintain a C&R weapon... :sad20:

I am sure hoping that a magic crate or 10 full of x25 comes to port sometime soon!

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011

II and IIIA. Did this test just two days ago. Using Bulgarian Surplus from a Romanian TTC. Distance was 7 yards.

I also, just out of curiosity, did 9x18 (CZ-82), 9mm (M&P Compact), .40S&W (M&P Full size). None of these rounds fully penetrated the vest.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    i have a tough time believing it is all gone.

its no coincidence that since obama took office ammo has skyrocketed in price and surplus has dried up.

guaranteed they are making it a lot tougher to import certain ammo.

long term though i have to agree that tok ammo is still good ammo, and its still on par price wise with shooting 9mm, so dont let the ammo price scare you off buying a gun.

of course its easy for me to say while sitting on a decent stash. :D

oh and they still use x54r for various guns, so i dont think it will run out, just get a little more pricey.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010

Why not go the few extra $$ and get the real Sistema Colt? Unlike the Ballester, 100% of parts are interchangeable with the Colt 1911 so easy to find and replace. Only a few of the Ballester parts are interchangeable. I just found a 1961 Argentinian Sistema Colt for <$500

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    im thinking with this new UN arms treaty, we might not be getting ammo or surplus guns anymore.

certainly possible.

a lot of surplus sadly died over the past decade to laws abroad.

for example i had a french competition shooter tell me a few years back, i think it was in 2006 that the government there made a final decision not to sell anymore surplus, and they destroyed the remainder of surplus in their possession.

they sent off thousands of mas -36, mas-40, mas-49 and mas 49/56 rifles to the smelter.

same thing has been happening in lots of european countries, and its starting to spread to eastern europe too.

several years ago there was that video going around from some eastern european country where they had politicians and military officials out at some recycling center, and they were showing off a new recycling processor, and they demonstrated it by dumping in a half dozen pallet sized plastic containers full of makarovs and toks into the new grinder.

they were all in cosmo and wrapped in wax paper.

must have been thousands of each and more magazines than you could count.

the old saying goes, guns only have 2 enemies, politicians and rust.

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    Wish I bought more when I had the chance.

Attachments

• DSCN0446.JPG
      DSCN0446.JPG
      74.2 KB · Views: 60

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Why not go the few extra $$ and get the real Sistema Colt? Unlike the Ballester, 100% of parts are interchangeable with the Colt 1911 so easy to find and replace. Only a few of the Ballester parts are interchangeable. I just found a 1961 Argentinian Sistema Colt for <$500

Yeah, I linked to a Ballester, but I'm looking for a Sistema. Sarco has some promising items, assuming any are in stock...

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    Yeah, I linked to a Ballester, but I'm looking for a Sistema. Sarco has some promising items, assuming any are in stock...

I have both pistols and each is nice. But the Sistema is a better choice just due to the fact is has interchangeable parts.

When I contact Sarco they refused to sell to any FFL in MD. About 3 months ago...

Sirex