• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • elwojo

File not found: M:/Liberty.exe
    Dec 23, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Anyone know where there is an affordable source of 7.62x25mm ammo? I haven't seen a whole lot in stock anywhere, and most importantly: what I have seen borders around $1/round? I don't care if it is corrosive or not - just something to shoot at paper targets.

Any leads would be appreciated...

Also on the lookout for 7.62x54R - but that seems to be more plentiful at $0.20-ish/round.

x25 is all dried up. I doubt you will ever see any more surplus. Welcome to the days of $15-$20 boxes of 50rds.

yep....seems pretty much the same for 8mm Mauser.
    Last tins of the 8mm Romanian I saw pop up were over $200 per tin.
    Everyone with a Mosin should pick up a couple tins....that stuff can't last forever either.
    At a minimum it will still be a value at that point, even at the current prices.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    no bull, 7.62x25 dried up damn near overnight, I remember buying it a 6.00 for 70 rounds from sog, then [ word has it] when they came out with AR 7.62x25 uppers, one of the private security companies bought it all up as an affordable training tool. What ever happened to it, the market never recovered and the surplus is gone, it sells now for higher than nine mil prices.
    Just a heads up, watch your other surplus calibers closely

.303 wasn't made nearly as long or by as many a factory as Russian or german ammo. Get it now because it will disappear soon.

8mm is drying up, jg sales has some now in stock at pre crazy prices, buy it while you can because this is not a cold war round, it is a WW2 round and it has been being bought off for years.

7.62 nagant, already gone, you might as well buy new ammo.

7.62x54, there is still time, buy it while you can because it will disappear, I am.

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    What's a good price? How much you looking for? I may be willing to spare some. I have been thinking about selling my cz52. I shoot my tok more, but I don't even shoot that much.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    yep....seems pretty much the same for 8mm Mauser.
    Last tins of the 8mm Romanian I saw pop up were over $200 per tin.
    Everyone with a Mosin should pick up a couple tins....that stuff can't last forever either.
    At a minimum it will still be a value at that point, even at the current prices.

no bull, 7.62x25 dried up damn near overnight, I remember buying it a 6.00 for 70 rounds from sog, then [ word has it] when they came out with AR 7.62x25 uppers, one of the private security companies bought it all up as an affordable training tool. What ever happened to it, the market never recovered and the surplus is gone, it sells now for higher than nine mil prices.

.303 wasn't made nearly as long or by as many a factory as Russian or german ammo. Get it now because it will disappear soon.

8mm is drying up, jg sales has some now in stock at pre crazy prices, buy it while you can because this is not a cold war round, it is a WW2 round and it has been being bought off for years.

7.62 nagant, already gone, you might as well buy new ammo.

7.62x54, there is still time, buy it while you can because it will disappear, I am.

No to thread jack, but who has the best price right now?

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Classic has it at about $110 for a 440 rd spam can. Widener's is about $200 for 880 rds. Big Dog in Dahlgren had some recently for $150 a can of 440 rds. (they also had a rack ful of 91/30s).

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    truth be told, If I could afford a couple pallets of the Russian stuff, I would get it and sit on it, would probably be a great investment. The stuff ain't getting cheaper.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Most of us haven't seen any surplus 7.62x25 ammo available at a reasonable price in several years. With more than a few CZ-52's and Tokarev's to feed I fortunately stocked up when ammo was cheap.

Starline has brass backordered, but expected at the end of the month. Good luck finding dies an molds now, but it's not a tough round to reload.

Machodoc is correct. 7.62x25 is not a difficult round to load. In fact, forming 7.62x25 cases out of .223 Rem is pretty simple - if you can find a set of RCBS case forming dies. The dies were cheap 20 years ago - not today. :sad20:

Lee makes a 100 gr/.311 mold. The boolits work well for plinking: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/53...caliber-311-diameter-100-grain-2-ogive-radius The problem is chasing down all the cases. Certain pistols have a well known reputation for ejecting cases into the next county.

Once the well runs completely dry on 7.62x25 ammo, I can go back to Plan B if I have to. But that's where I started.

Attachments

• RCBS Die Box DSC07550.jpg
      RCBS Die Box DSC07550.jpg
      40.6 KB · Views: 310
    • RCBS Die Box Inside DSC07551.jpg
      RCBS Die Box Inside DSC07551.jpg
      55.7 KB · Views: 327
    • DSC07552.jpg
      DSC07552.jpg
      75.5 KB · Views: 205

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I just double checked Wideners, $100 a tin plus shipping. Gulfwarsub is right about the $70 dollar days gone. Oh well, I guess its like everything else, get it while you can

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    get the silver tip, I'm pretty sure all the surplus has steel core, but the silver tip just makes you feel special.

It was Easter weekend, 2010. On Good Friday it was everywhere for <$100 for a 1260rd tin. Come the Monday after Easter it was gone. I still don't understand how it happened so quickly.
    I remember because that was the weekend I got my CZ-52. I was able to score one tin and after that the '52 went bye-bye. Didn't like it too much, even less for "full priced" ammo.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    It was Easter weekend, 2010. On Good Friday it was everywhere for <$100 for a 1260rd tin. Come the Monday after Easter it was gone. I still don't understand how it happened so quickly.
    I remember because that was the weekend I got my CZ-52. I was able to score one tin and after that the '52 went bye-bye. Didn't like it too much, even less for "full
    priced" ammo.

I remember that. I was just getting ready to buy my Tok and some ammo but there was none to be had!

chevellenut71

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Cape Saint Clare / Annapolis
    I was lucky and picked up a few tins before it went south. Then Engineerbrian sucker me into selling him one:D also picked up a set of dies and powder and reloading info when I bought a cz off a member here. Just wish I had a Press and knew how to reload.:sad20: working on that though.:D one day.

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    There is always 7.63 Mauser to use as an alternative. Not a cheaper alternative mind you, but still an alternate source of ammo to feed our 7.62 x 25 toys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom