• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdsteele

May 21, 2013
    I may want to at least put in a purchase order for an AR-15 lower before 1 Oct.

(My grandson is expected to be born on/about 1 Oct, and I'd like him to have an actual banned 'Assault Rifle', exactly as old as he is, transferred from father to son to son on his 21st birthday)

Can I order an AR-15 lower online, and pay for it online before 1 Oct, have it sent to my FFL, and fill out the 77 paperwork after 1 Oct?

Or do I have to actually buy an actual AR-15 lower from an actual gun store and fill out the 77 paperwork before 1 Oct?

If so, does anyone know of any dealers on the Eastern Shore of MD that have lowers in stock now?

enjoi1968

Streets Closed Pizza Boy.
    May 10, 2013
    Purchase order (ie: paid in full receipt showing payment before 10/01/13) is the bare minimum to get grandfathered (see what I did there) in past Oct. 1

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I'm thinking there are only three ways to transfer it to him post 10/1:

1) If he lives in MD at the time you die, he can inherit it as long as he can possess a regulated firearm.
    2) He has residence out of the state of MD at the time you wish to transfer it to him.
    3) MD law changes and allows the transfer within MD at some point.

jdsteele

May 21, 2013
    The lower, per ATF, is the firearm.

Per SB281, a "purchase order" is valid if executed before 10/1.

You'll be fine if you get on it (AND DOCUMENT THE ORDER) in the next few days.

So if I order online on Monday 30 Sep, my credit card is charged, I have an email receipt, then that shoud be good enough? Even though it would take a few days to be shipped to my FFL and for me to fill out the 77 paperwork?

That's the way I read it. Just checking with you guys.

It just occurred to me that this would be a cool thing to do for my new grandkid. Plus, I could break the gun in for the next 20 years.

Last edited:

jdsteele

May 21, 2013
    1) If he lives in MD at the time you die, he can inherit it as long as he can possess a regulated firearm.

Maybe when he just turns 21, we could just move out of the state for a while.
    To avoid the me dying thing.

JailHouseLiar

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 26, 2013
    Timonium, Maryland
    So if I order online on Monday 30 Sep, my credit card is charged, I have an email receipt, then that shoud be good enough? Even though it would take a few days to be shipped to my FFL and for me to fill out the 77 paperwork?

That's the way I read it. Just checking with you guys.

It just occurred to me that this would be a cool thing to do for my new grandkid. (Imagine if you could go back and do this in 1985 before the full-auto ban). Plus, I could break the gun in for the next 20 years.

If you can find one. Several online places have already stopped MD sales. Best bet is to find one from a local gun store.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Maybe when he just turns 21, we could just move out of the state for a while.
    To avoid the me dying thing.

Absolutely. He would have to move with you too. I hope that "avoid the me dying thing" works out for you. Let me know your secret! :lol:

Personally, I think the change the MD law thing is the best option.

jdsteele

May 21, 2013
    Personally, I think the change the MD law thing is the best option.

Personally, I agree. Less stressful than me dying or moving.

I'll call around the Eastern Shore for lowers. If no luck, the Engage Armament deal sounds good, so a 300 mile round-trip may be in my near future. I kind of like that it has my old hometown "Rockville MD" stamped on it. Thanks for the tip.

orangecrush

Aug 9, 2009
    cecil co.
    Even if you were to move out of state and he has the gun transferred to his name he would never be able to move back into Maryland with said gun. The gun would have to stay out of Maryland.

Best bet is buy him a Colt Hbar for his 18th birthday.

jdsteele

May 21, 2013
    Even if you were to move out of state and he has the gun transferred to his name he would never be able to move back into Maryland with said gun. The gun would have to stay out of Maryland.

Oh yeah, I forgot that part. Isn't there some provision for transferring a gun between family members, aside from leaving it in a will?

I may just have to stay alive, and 'lend' it to my grandson, when he turns 21.

Broadside

Mar 20, 2012
    Virginia
    There is an attorney on the Forum that advertises doing Maryland trusts.

You could contact him and ask him about doing a trust and putting the regulated firearms into the trust with your grandson as the beneficiary.

I don't know if it would work or not.

As already mentioned, there is no way to transfer a "pre-ban assault long gun" after 10/1/13 except through inheritance.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    If you bought a complete regulated AR today, it probably would have been built months ago, and legally you couldn't take possession of it until October 7th.

Another option would be to purchase an 80% lower and turn it in to a firearm just before Oct 1, so it would be less than 1 day (or so) older than your grandchild.

It would still be an issue to transfer it to him/her in MD before your passing, unless the law changes.

But what it does give you (if you want to, but not required) is the ability to engrave it with your name as the manufacturer, and/or engrave his/her name as the serial number eg: Patrick1, Pamela1.

Then you two can assemble it together as he/she gets older.

Nothing like a family heirloom built by you and your grandfather.

Last edited:

jdsteele

May 21, 2013
    I went to Wink's Sporting Goods in Princess Anne and put in a purchase order for a forged AR15 lower for about $135. It will be here next week. 8 day release.

So I got in just under the wire, and didn't have to bother with online ordering and FFL transfer issues.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom