• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    First I would ask here if anyone near you reloads and is willing to show you the ropes. Then I would figure out a budget of what I wanted to spend in the beginning and how much reloading I am going to do. You can go low budget and use Lee equipment to high end Dillon and RCBS, hornady, Redding, and others in the middle. Your type of shooting and your wallet tends to mandate what equipment you buy. There's nothing wrong with starting out with a Lee single stage kit. Get yourself Lymans book of reloading and/or Richard Lees book on reloading and that will help you understand a lot. I have not seen Lee's second book but I own his first book and he explain reloading step by step so everyone can understand it.

Thanks for info. It's a great help!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Budget first. But consider, the equipment will last you a lifetime. So buying cheap just means buying again later. You can sell your older stuff, but I find buying right at first a better idea. Lee makes good stuff that is inexpensive. But there are some advantages to the other brands also.

Take a good look at your shooting. A Dillon or Hornady progressive press is great to have. But if you are shooting 1000 rounds per year, they are WAY overkill.

ABCs of Reloading and the Lyman 49th Edition are great books to have.

A mentor is great, but reloading is not rocket science. Read, think about what you are doing. Start slow. ALWAYS pay attention to what you are doing.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    i also like imr and reddot powders

You do know that IMR is a brand and Red Dot is a specific powder? Just checking.

And in MD there is a limit of 5 pounds of powder per person in a dwelling. And it is not allowed in multifamily dwellings (apartments and condos).

That said, VERY few places have bulk components locally. The supply is just to sparse. And finding one place with everything at once is unlikely.

Some shops up in PA seem to have a better supply.

But you can also resort to online ordering. But again, to get a specific powder, you will have to keep looking, daily, and order when you find it. And online, bulk ordering is a GOOD idea, as powder and primers have a HazMat fee of $27.50 per package added to the shipping price.

So ordering 1 pound of powder, over doubles the cost.

Midway, Natchez, Cabelas, and others have stuff at times.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    PA is the way to go or opening day of gun shows. I wish I had taken his name, but I recently bought 1000 9mm 115gr plated bullets for $80. Not too bad in my opinion.

My girlfriend is from PA, so I kindly give her a shopping list whenever she goes home. Hasn't come back empty handed yet :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bg71361

Apr 30, 2012
    PA is the way to go or opening day of gun shows. I wish I had taken his name, but I recently bought 1000 9mm 115gr plated bullets for $80. Not too bad in my opinion.

My girlfriend is from PA, so I kindly give her a shopping list whenever she goes home. Hasn't come back empty handed yet :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you recommend some stores in Pa?

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Google Powder Valley.
    Best Prices when things are in stock.
    Mid South Shooters Supply is also good for bullets.

ibang1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2011
    Perry Hall
    If anyone needs some powder right now take a look at Natchez.

1# of Winchester 296
    1#, 8# of Alliant 300-MP
    1# of Hodgdon H110
    1#, 4# of Hodgdon LIL Gun

I just placed my order for LIL Gun.

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    Google Powder Valley.
    Best Prices when things are in stock.
    Mid South Shooters Supply is also good for bullets.

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com

I love those guys, bought most of my stuff from them once Midway started jacking up shipping. They don't tell you how much shipping is going to be until the order is actually shipped which is a bit weird in this day and age but they've always done right by me.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I see what you did :lol2:

By the way, there is no number 9 .... yet....

I thought about trying to bump future #9 out of the running,
    I just did not want any hurt feelings and have to send out a butt hurt report
    Oh hell I just might go for #9 If I hurt some feeling I could just send them a get well card and a old David Allen Coe CD. That should make any hill monkey happy :party29:
    And I might have to kick in a six pack of 10oz bud lites.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I thought about trying to bump future #9 out of the running,
    I just did not want any hurt feelings and have to send out a butt hurt report
    Oh hell I just might go for #9 If I hurt some feeling I could just send them a get well card and a old David Allen Coe CD. That should make any hill monkey happy :party29:
    And I might have to kick in a six pack of 10oz bud lites.

We're saving spot #9 for......well you know who.:innocent0:innocent0:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom