• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Bumble Bees were out in force at the AGC today. A little more difficult to attain and hold a good sight picture with them buzzing ‘round your head. Didn’t get stung by them; the steel buttplate of my K31 would beg to differ with that though. Took 60 rounds of GPM11 with me, came back with 20, ‘cause I called it quits after 40 rounds. :sick1: Recoil was more crippling than usual today.

Last edited:

Lafayette

Not that kind of doctor
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2021
    Maryland
    I was there on Monday; had a similar experience. Definitely forced me to work on my “target focus” and breathing!

P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Might have been carpenter bees. They tend to get aggressive and buzz people, but rarely sting (and only the female has a stinger). You can tell them apart also, as the males wear tool pouches, and drink light beer.
    1713463698917.png

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    They are everywhere!
    I have some cherry trees that went full bloom a few weeks ago and this weekend, they all fell apart. Now the bees seem to be searching around for something else and I can't take the dogs out w/o them buzzing around my head and trying to get in the house. These were bumble bees cause they had the stripes on the back end.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    The AGC springtime bees are Carpenter Bees, not Bumble Bees. I haven't yet renewed my membership this year.
    Well. I am not a bee expert but they were BMF‘s. Big, black and yellow M’er effers and were hovering and darting around like Marine Corp Ospreys.

Last edited:

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Carpenter bees are out around here, not far from AGC. They are looking to attack unprotected wood by boring. Look for sawdust on the ground and you'll find the hole. A tennis racket comes in handy.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    Bumble Bees were out in force at the AGC today. A little more difficult to attain and hold a good sight picture with them buzzing ‘round your head. Didn’t get stung by them; the steel buttplate of my K31 would beg to differ with that though. Took 60 rounds of GPM11 with me, came back with 20, ‘cause I called it quits after 40 rounds. :sick1: Recoil was more crippling than usual today.
    I would like to know why the recoil on a K31 was a bit crippling for you.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Have your club trustee bring up the bee problem at the next Trustees meeting. The situation will get resolved after about 6 months of arguing about it at the meetings and will cost about $5000.
    :innocent0 LOL

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    :sick1: Recoil was more crippling than usual today.

I would like to know why the recoil on a K31 was a bit crippling for you.
    Recoil is a funny thing. I can shoot 4-6 rounds of trap and hardly even notice it - the main place I feel it is my cheek. Recoil has also never bothered me with a handgun.

However, if I'm on a bench with a rifle that has some heavier recoil - two that immediately come to mind are two sporters I have - a 1903A3 in 35 Whelen and a K98 in 8mm Mauser that kicked surprisingly harder than I thought it would - I don't seem to have the same tolerance for it. It's possible that the angles are different and therefore it hits me a bit differently than if I'm standing, but I'm only good for about 6 shots with that 35 Whelen before I've had enough.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    Recoil is a funny thing. I can shoot 4-6 rounds of trap and hardly even notice it - the main place I feel it is my cheek. Recoil has also never bothered me with a handgun.

However, if I'm on a bench with a rifle that has some heavier recoil - two that immediately come to mind are two sporters I have - a 1903A3 in 35 Whelen and a K98 in 8mm Mauser that kicked surprisingly harder than I thought it would - I don't seem to have the same tolerance for it. It's possible that the angles are different and therefore it hits me a bit differently than if I'm standing, but I'm only good for about 6 shots with that 35 Whelen before I've had enough.
    Its not so much that the angles are different its your shoulder not having the ability to absorb the felt recoil like you would when standing although different angles do play a lesser role in felt recoil. I bet that 35 Whelen packs a punch.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Destructive MF'ers. I have killed 26 of them this year with a tennis racket. They are tough too. I hung 4 traps on my house and probably have another 20 in them. Just about 100 more to go and I will be free until they return next spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom