• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FnsweetS3

Pro Whack-a-mole chanpion
    Dec 8, 2011
    Taneytown
    So... I am going to be attending a sniper course and figured I would build something special :)

Bought a basic Remington 700 ADL in .308 from Dicks (550.... with a 50 dollar rebate (Added bonus.... the R700 came with a scope... that I will put on my daughters 10/22 build coming soon).

This gun is going to go to the gunsmith who builds sniper rifles for a major law enforcement agency (Name withheld). There he will barrel it with a heavy barrel, beds and trues the action. Add the Badger ordnance rings, installs the Vortex Viper scope and adds the bipod.

Then... I head to the range to break it in.

Here is the basic specs and current pix. I will get the gun painted by one of our IP's... just got to figure out the paint scheme.

Remington 700 ADL .308

Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP Rifle scope
    Badger Rings 306-21, Medium High 1.0, 30mm

H&S Precision Stock

Harris Engineering S-BRM Hinged Base 6 - 9-Inch BiPod

Attachments

• IMG_20120507_143242.jpg
      IMG_20120507_143242.jpg
      50.6 KB · Views: 503
    • IMG_20120509_121930.jpg
      IMG_20120509_121930.jpg
      120.1 KB · Views: 492

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    barrel it? you should have started w/ a heavy barrel - sps versions.

bedding on that pos syn stock will be PIA.. you may just want to replace it totally. ;)

post some pic when she's done.. :)

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I was going to send mine to the smith before shooting it to get the action squared and trued. Now I'm glad I didn't, with no load development and while breaking it in, it is shooting well under moa. Now I can spend the money elsewhere knowing it would only bring minimal gains at best.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    It appears to have a heavy barrel installed already. I take it you want a better twist rate since it's a varmint barrel? It looks like you have a good selection of components, so I (and others) are eagerly awaiting pics of the final build.

FnsweetS3

Dec 8, 2011
    Taneytown
    barrel it? you should have started w/ a heavy barrel - sps versions.

bedding on that pos syn stock will be PIA.. you may just want to replace it totally. ;)

post some pic when she's done.. :)

It will get a custom heavy barrel.... and the stock will be H&S precision.

The stock and the heavy barrel that came with it will be sold on here .... cheap :)

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    why not start off with a more accurate 700 model ? I have a 700 PSS that will shoot under 1/2 moa at 100 yards with factory ammo. The 5R's are very accurate as well out of the box. Is this rifle being built for fun or duty use? I have a few vortex scope's on some of my fun rifles and while they are fine for shooting at the range I would never put one on a rifle that I was going to use for more serious use. I would look into better glass like Leupold, nightforce etc. either way good luck with the build Chris.

FnsweetS3

Dec 8, 2011
    Taneytown
    why not start off with a more accurate 700 model ? I have a 700 PSS that will shoot under 1/2 moa at 100 yards with factory ammo. The 5R's are very accurate as well out of the box. Is this rifle being built for fun or duty use? I have a few vortex scope's on some of my fun rifles and while they are fine for shooting at the range I would never put one on a rifle that I was going to use for more serious use. I would look into better glass like Leupold, nightforce etc. either way good luck with the build Chris.

The basic 700 is just so I can get the action. And... I looked at the 5Rs..... they are good guns.... but in the end I was going to gut the rifle.

As for the Vortex.... It is going to be good to my start off.... then get transferred to my hunting rifle. Till I work my way into a S&B (which work will pay for :)

Sirex