• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Hey guys I've been reading up on the threads about .308 ARs and I've wanted one for a long time. It's something I plan to piece together over several months, to a year. I don't want a precision build, it will either be an SBR or a 14.5 pinned. I know the round is great for distance and such. .300 blk is cool, but I'm settled on .308. My problem is I still can't differentiate amongst the receivers. AR10, DPMS, and such. I know they use different mags and barrel nuts. But is there a reason to get one over the other? I'm going for reliability and effectiveness. I will have a low powered optic on it. For reliability I'm not going shorter than 14". Clandestine has been INCREDIBLY helpful but he's a busy guy and I don't wanna overload his inbox with questions any more haha. What have you guys had success with in the past? Links to other threads and sites are appreciated. Forest's post on ar15.com has helped me alot. Is 7.62 better than .308? I've read it's like .223 vs 5.56

Thanks for any info you guys can provide.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Ive had great success with my DPMS AP4 308. Built by Dan at Gun Connection. Go there, tell him what you want, he will hook you up.

deer gun 308 1.jpg

DSCF2036-1 - Copy.JPG

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Unless you are determined to pay for a tax stamp a 16-20" would probably enhance performance. On my pimptactical 30-06 build I kept the 24" barrel and inspired by the Stag 3 gun setup went with a 10-40x with offset iron sights. When I sighted it at 100yds on the top mildot I got 4 shots in 3/8" with a 2 1/4" flyer.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I want it to be as compact and lightweight as a .308 AR can be. I was also considering a PTR SBR with an 8" barrel, but I'd like to the AR first. Plus im gonna build so I can stretch it out over time.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Gotta have a stock! Looking for a "battle rifle" like my M4gery chad worked on. But I'll definitely look into it!

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I want it to be as compact and lightweight as a .308 AR can be. I was also considering a PTR SBR with an 8" barrel, but I'd like to the AR first. Plus im gonna build so I can stretch it out over time.

A PTR is not going to be light weight, it's stamped steel and heavy barrel unless you cut down their new GI version.

I would say build a 5.56 if you want light and compact. The 300AAC would probably be a better choice if you want a .30 cal in an SBR.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Already have a small light 5.56 with a 14" barrel. Going to do a .300blk upper eventually if it stays around. This is gonna be a small dedicated .308 rifle. As far as weight, I said as light as a .308 can be, I don't expect it be like a Car15.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    No AR-10 is going to be light LOL.

I have a CMMG Lower in my safe that's waiting to get built at some point. I've actually been halfway tempted to sell it. Just don't really have the desire to drop $1000+ into a rifle that I feel like I'll hardly ever shoot. I already have a 24" AR-15 for precision shooting.

sailskidrive

Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27

sailskidrive

Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    No AR-10 is going to be light LOL.

I have a CMMG Lower in my safe that's waiting to get built at some point. I've actually been halfway tempted to sell it. Just don't really have the desire to drop $1000+ into a rifle that I feel like I'll hardly ever shoot. I already have a 24" AR-15 for precision shooting.

When I was researching ARs in 308 I remember reading that CMMG lowers have some dimensional issues or do something slightly different than the SR25/DPMS/Fulton Armory guns.

I will see if I can locate the info and post it here.

I went the Bushmaster LR308 MOE middy route and the SIG 716. The fit and finish on the SIG is very, very good. The overall design is well executed with built in QD mounts on the receiver, included BUIS, MagPul furniture, high end buffer spring, and a very clean trigger. I believe it uses the Armalite patterned bolt and a modified carrier.

83cc42bf.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom