• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    About 15-20 years ago someone tried to open an indoor shooting range in Westminster, but unfortunately the idea was shot down. Since then I've missed having one anywhere near here. It seems the industrial area by the Carroll County Airport would be a good place for one. This is most probably the worst time to think about opening one, but on the flip side if more people had an opportunity to safely shoot nearby year-round, it would attract more enthusiasts. Has anyone else here explored what it would take for a venture like this?

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    About 15-20 years ago someone tried to open an indoor shooting range in Westminster, but unfortunately the idea was shot down. Since then I've missed having one anywhere near here. It seems the industrial area by the Carroll County Airport would be a good place for one. This is most probably the worst time to think about opening one, but on the flip side if more people had an opportunity to safely shoot nearby year-round, it would attract more enthusiasts. Has anyone else here explored what it would take for a venture like this?

Sure, if you fill it with decent employees instead of what you typically get at a MD range.

stevegee58

Spooky
    Aug 5, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    I'd say there are some kind of barriers to entry for folks wanting to open a firearms range. There'd be more of them if it were that easy.
    Liability insurance alone is probably a little higher than for, say, a shoe store.

mdcktt21

Jan 25, 2013
    Central MD
    There's a closed old Wal-Mart building in Glen Burnie that would make a great indoor range...

I was just thinking of that building as well. That spot is perfect (at least for me!). Too bad the only happenings there are a carnival and people who go the wrong way out of the Burger King.

ob1murry

May 18, 2011
    There's a closed old Wal-Mart building in Glen Burnie that would make a great indoor range...

I would love it if they built one there, right now you can either take the drive out to OnTarget or take your chances at Select Fire.

raider80

Nov 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    I am curious what you mean by "take your chances"? I have not been there in years, seemed fine back then.

I stopped by there a few months ago ad they were trying to sell me an AR built on a spikes lower, spikes lpk , unknown upper for $4000.00. Worst it was painted blood red. I guess Duracoat is getting realy expensive these days.

dfens42

Publius
    Jun 7, 2012
    Free America-WV Province
    Select Fire is no bueno. On Target, unfortunately, has waits all the time. I end up driving to Freestate.

I wish I had to money to open a range and a small FFL there at the old Wally World.

Gordnfreman

Feb 13, 2013
    Westminster
    Funny you should ask. I have explored the possibilities, can't do one within the Westminster City Limit due to city codes. I think, don't know for sure though that parts of the industrial areas are with the city limits.

I have spoken with Scott, the owner of Freedom Armory,(my brother in law is the gunsmith there), about the start up cost for the equipment needed. Just the exhaust system and lead containment equip is in the $100k to $200k depending on your sq. footage. The more lanes you have, the more it is going to cost.

That is not including the building, the build out, insurance, target equip., alarm system, vault for storage of rentals and ammo, legal fees, accounting fees, utilities set up, inventory, signage, really nice website and marketing. I sure there would be a few other set up costs I missed. Start up costs add up quickly!

You would have to have a retail shop and gunsmith services, you couldn't make the monthly nut on membership fees and lane rental only, much less any profit.

Even with renting the building you would be in the $400k to $750k neighborhood, possibly more. I would want at least 12 months operating capital in the bank that would have to be added to the total start up capital investment. Thats some serious money. A better location probably would be closer to 795 and the beltway or 795 and 140.

With the new legislation and the firearm haters in Annapolis, it is way too big of a risk for me in this current environment.

Just my opinion ;)

Sharpeneddark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    Westminster
    Select Fire is no bueno. On Target, unfortunately, has waits all the time. I end up driving to Freestate.

I wish I had to money to open a range and a small FFL there at the old Wally World.

On Target is busy on the weekends, usually has lanes open on the weekdays. I don't know about later on the weekdays, but middle of the afternoon (4-5 PM), I have never waited for a lane.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Funny you should ask. I have explored the possibilities, can't do one within the Westminster City Limit due to city codes. I think, don't know for sure though that parts of the industrial areas are with the city limits.

I have spoken with Scott, the owner of Freedom Armory,(my brother in law is the gunsmith there), about the start up cost for the equipment needed. Just the exhaust system and lead containment equip is in the $100k to $200k depending on your sq. footage. The more lanes you have, the more it is going to cost.

That is not including the building, the build out, insurance, target equip., alarm system, vault for storage of rentals and ammo, legal fees, accounting fees, utilities set up, inventory, signage, really nice website and marketing. I sure there would be a few other set up costs I missed. Start up costs add up quickly!

You would have to have a retail shop and gunsmith services, you couldn't make the monthly nut on membership fees and lane rental only, much less any profit.

Even with renting the building you would be in the $400k to $750k neighborhood, possibly more. I would want at least 12 months operating capital in the bank that would have to be added to the total start up capital investment. Thats some serious money. A better location probably would be closer to 795 and the beltway or 795 and 140.

With the new legislation and the firearm haters in Annapolis, it is way too big of a risk for me in this current environment.

Just my opinion ;)

Is Tim your brother in law?

About the money. Yes it is big money, But I would be willing to bet that same money would be needed to open a restaurant, auto repair garage, Bar room, package goods/liquor store etc....

Goateggs

Jan 27, 2013
    Annapolis

I know that place! And one of the best Chinese/Thai restaurants in the county is right next door. It looks like a dump from the outside but it's really good. The Fortune Cooky.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD

About the money. Yes it is big money, But I would be willing to bet that same money would be needed to open a restaurant, auto repair garage, Bar room, package goods/liquor store etc....

And good luck getting a bank to to a Loan for anything firearm related, my mom works for the bank that did the MSAR loan, she said it was a mess and they would probably never do another

mdcktt21

Jan 25, 2013
    Central MD
    On Target is busy on the weekends, usually has lanes open on the weekdays. I don't know about later on the weekdays, but middle of the afternoon (4-5 PM), I have never waited for a lane.

I have the same experience there. Usually plenty of open lanes before 5pm. I have not been after 5pm and it's crowded on the weekends.

ob1murry

May 18, 2011
    I am curious what you mean by "take your chances"? I have not been there in years, seemed fine back then.

I've never had anything but bad experiences at Select Fire. They range from everything from being yelled at as soon as you open the door about your phone to them refusing to allow me to bring a first time shooter to the range there to watching them mock people for their choice of firearms, etc. Sometimes you will go and it will be tolerable, other times you will go and just immediately want to turn around and leave.

Conversely, I have never had what I would call a "bad" experience at On Target, but it's far enough away that I rarely wind up just stopping in there to look around unless I happened to be in the area all alread.

Gordnfreman

Feb 13, 2013
    Westminster

Yep, sort of. His brother is married to my sister, so I guess he is my brother in law-law?

I see Tim all the time. I met Scott when they were in the old location on Rt 751 about 9 years ago. I did a bunch of NFA guns with him.

Yes, I agree about the start up cost on any type of retail business. Only difference is there are a lot more customers buying food, car repair, alcohol and unless you are a real ass-hat it is hard not to make money with a bar.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Yep, sort of. His brother is married to my sister, so I guess he is my brother in law-law?

I see Tim all the time. I met Scott when they were in the old location on Rt 751 about 9 years ago. I did a bunch of NFA guns with him.

Yes, I agree about the start up cost on any type of retail business. Only difference is there are a lot more customers buying food, car repair, alcohol and unless you are a real ass-hat it is hard not to make money with a bar.
    Tim's is a good guy. He has helped me out a few times. Real down to earth and knows his guns. So I guess you know about the project and what they are going to start building?

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland

Also, I bet there is dealings with the EPA that is a pain due to filters in the ventilation systems and powder and lead dust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom