• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    I wish kits were cheap again I would love to get into one, I got ahold of one a while back for cheap and I had it built by a professional because I knew I would only get one shot at it and I wanted it to be perfect.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    RomanianParts_01.jpg

RomanianParts_02.jpg

RomanianParts_03.jpg

RomanianParts_04.jpg

RomanianParts_05.jpg

RomanianParts_06.jpg

RomanianParts_07.jpg

RomanianParts_08.jpg

RomanianParts_09.jpg

RomanianParts_10.jpg

RomanianParts_11.jpg

RomanianParts_12.jpg

RomanianParts_13.jpg

CenterfireSystemsInc_14.jpg

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/KIT-ROM-1975-NB.aspx

:innocent0

turbosc20

Nov 6, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    Apexgunparts.com has some virgin romanian barrels. Sounds like a headspacing nightmare though. (well time consuming at least.)

If someone has all the tools, it'll cost you about $300 total to build that rifle.

ETA: Looks like lancaster arms carries new us made ak barrels too for ~$80 according to their website.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Don't forget you have to pin the gas block and sites on as well. Then you have to cut the gas port. It can all be done, but it takes time and effort.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    I've had one guy tell me the tolerances on the hole locations are like .0001", and that scares me a little.

:lol2::lol2::lol2:

I'd be scared too, knowing a pile of ******** that tall was that close to my person at any given time.

A pile that big will straight up EAT a man. Whole.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Anyone have a suggestion on a good flat to use with the centerfire rommy kit. 99 beans seams like a good deal

A nodak receiver.

Seriously guys, the only GOOD flats out there are the AK-builder.com flats. I know, I've built on too many variations of AK flats to count.

So figure, what, $35-$40 depending on model for just a flat.

Then another $500 in tooling to bend, heat-treat, trim the upper rails, etc.

Add probably 3-4 hours of your time (unless you've built a TON of them, then make that 1-2 hours), and you have a product that still isn't built with a top rail step-down, and isn't completely heat-treated. And the bends still look like garbage in comparison.

Seriously, just use NoDak receivers. Yeah, there's paperwork. Whoopteedoo. If you own ANY guns, you're already on "the list" if you wanna get all tinfoily about it. Seriously. NoDak. Do it, and be thankful for the many hours and many frustrations you WON'T have using flats.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    As challenging and fun as rolling your own can be, I agree with Ferret. NoDaks are the way to go if you want to keep cost and the learning curve down. They are built to spec, nicely finished, and fully heat-treated (very difficult to do at home).

The newer AK-builder flats that have the top-rail bent already do turn out very nice compared to the old ones. It's not particularly hard to make your own receiver but it does take time and additional equipment--you'll need a spot welder, torch, and some improvised jigs on top of all the tooling required to put the rest of the rifle together. Plus you'll have to paint or phosphate the receiver yourself and engrave your own selector markings.

The Centerfire Romy kits will have seen some use, but can be built into a completely serviceable rifle. They are a fair deal for the price. Finding a barrel is the biggest issue, Apex has some Romys pretty cheap or you can go US-made and gamble. Some have complained the US barrels are a bit soft, and not always built to spec. Either will require drilling pin holes for installation once the headspacing is set.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    selector markings aren't necessary, and neither is paint.

my M70 is built on a nodak and has yet to be finished. the nodak's in-the-white factory finish actually matches the worn bluing on the rest of the kit very nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom