• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    Just picked up a 12 Ton press. Getting ready to build a trigger guard rivet jig. Does anyone have instructions to build/grind the bolt cutters for the front trunnion rivets???:o

PS. The SMIBS need to get together and have a build session! C&Rdaze and myself have been discussing this for a awhile and it is coming to fruition in the not too distant future. ALL ABOARD!!!!:party29:

CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    Not a SMIB, only lived here 7 years.
    Never built a firearm, but I used to assemble/disassemble helicopters
    I'd like to learn though!

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Have most of the tools - except the press. We'll have to schedule something. Everytime I'm ready to buy a press, they're out of stock - and then I buy another Mosin.............

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Easiest way to press a rivet. Will do every short rivet except the trigger guards. Costs less than $5.
    press2w.jpg

black- 3/4 inch diameter grade 8 bolt
    red- 12 ton press ram
    blue- rivet
    green- receiver
    yellow- rivet head backer

The head of the bolt acts as a pivot, the ram preses the shaft, and a small flat spot ground on the bolt smashes the rivet. I use a small peice of 1/4" scrap metal with a relief for the rivet head as a backer. I cut the relief with a 5/32" ball end mill. a little bit of electrical tape on the head, keeps the rivet in place, and keeps the head from marring as the back of the rivet forms. You can add steel shims under the bolt head to raise it higher to clear the front trunion, and a 3/4" bolt will fit inside the barrel channel. I use a 6" long bolt, and cut off the threaded portion, leaving about 4-5 inches to work with.

I ended up using this method after ruining too many front rivets with modded bolt cutters. Bolt cutters require 3-4 hands. This way only needs 2.

SoMDGuy

Threadkiller Supreme
    Apr 26, 2008
    I'm in, either a build down here or the one we've been talking about up north...I have parts kits but no tools. Anyone familiar with drilling a receiver blank (not the flat, the prebent but undrilled kind)? I have flats for the Romys but the for the Yugo underfolder I had to buy a blank. I've had one guy tell me the tolerances on the hole locations are like .0001", and that scares me a little.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    you guys do this on weekends? im really considering ordering a flat and a yugo underfolder kit but I cant do anything during the week and Ive never done anything like this before

SoMDGuy

Threadkiller Supreme
    Apr 26, 2008
    would this flat be a good buy for any build?

http://www.tapco.com/proddesc.aspx?Id=decba312-c816-4018-9605-9828303ec886

is there a different one for different types of ak-47's?

The flat should work fine for AKs like Romys, but where the Yugo can be funny is that the M70AB2 underfolder has a front trunnion with bulges, and uses the receiver from the RPK machinegun. You can get flats for those, but the standard bending jigs are not supposed to work well on those, it's why I bought the blank.

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    would this flat be a good buy for any build?

http://www.tapco.com/proddesc.aspx?Id=decba312-c816-4018-9605-9828303ec886

is there a different one for different types of ak-47's?

The flat should work fine for AKs like Romys, but where the Yugo can be funny is that the M70AB2 underfolder has a front trunnion with bulges, and uses the receiver from the RPK machinegun. You can get flats for those, but the standard bending jigs are not supposed to work well on those, it's why I bought the blank.

Do not use tapco flats that have the top rail bent....the top rail is higher then spec by a good bit. I had two of them one in the garbage the other is a paper weight.

SoMDGuy

Threadkiller Supreme
    Apr 26, 2008
    Do not use tapco flats that have the top rail bent....the top rail is higher then spec by a good bit. I had two of them one in the garbage the other is a paper weight.

whoops, need to order new flats....

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    after I found that out I just bought a NDS3 from Nodak spud, and had it shipped to GC it made my first build real easy

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I thought we were getting a build together at RSCIA's.(He has a kegerator)So MD Build this thread. I have a flat bending jig as well as a mig welder,bandsaw,drillpress,grinders,small brake shear roller and about 30yrs experience fabricating with metal.

bighoss

Jun 6, 2010
    Millersville soon Severn
    i already got my flat bent and fitted the trunions i just gotta drill trunion holes heat treat and i need some1 to help with the rails because my wife won't let me drop 150$ on a spot welder/ i would also would like help with the rivets if possible

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Somebody track down RSCIA. It sounds like time for a SMIBbuild meet and greet to coordinate this thing. Hopefully we can get Armed Ferret for moral support and guidance.PMed RSCIA.

bighoss

Jun 6, 2010
    Millersville soon Severn
    here is a link to all my build picks i started with just a flat with rails no holes drilled i bolted the rails on this one but next one i'm gunna buy a spot welder

i think i did well for my first build and its a apex barrel that i havn't press yet
    and the rear rivets on the 2nd side i got mad at and filed down; shouldn't be a issue since i know a guy that has fired these with tooth picks in the holes
    i got all this done in a apt without a press or a drill press and everything lines up i'm gunna do 4 more and see if the flat turn out right or i jus got luckly lol
    http://picasaweb.google.com/115003441126323962097/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom