• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sandbanger

how's it going eisenhower
    Dec 14, 2010
    So Im reading through the threads, didn't want to post a new thread so I will bump this one.

Is anyone planning on doing a group build party, or hell a receiver bending party(do it yourself of course :) ?

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    So Im reading through the threads, didn't want to post a new thread so I will bump this one.

Is anyone planning on doing a group build party, or hell a receiver bending party(do it yourself of course :) ?

No party planned here, but most will advise you to purchase a Nodak Spudd receiver and save yourself the headache of building from a flat.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I have the equipment and some experience to help with a receiver build. But still learning the ropes for a full build, especially when it comes to drilling a virgin barrel.

If someone has a space and a shop/drill press I'll bring the jigs. Agreed with EddieK though, rolling your own might save some money (if you have the equipment) but in the end it's really hard to equal the appearance and quality of a Nodak. Plus you can't fully heat treat a receiver at home.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    you guys should let me bring over my romy thats already built so you can inspect it, fit and finish on this thing is amazing but I had a consistent problem with it stove piping and I cant tell if its the ammo im using or the mags or the ak and I just dont get enough range time to trouble shoot it and its my second AK and I have little experience with these things. Once during a clearing procedure after a jam I actually ended up with the round behind the hammer under the dustcover somehow, figure that one out :lol2: I just have this feeling that its something simple and easy to fix but I cant pinpoint it with the little trigger time I get.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    you guys should let me bring over my romy thats already built so you can inspect it, fit and finish on this thing is amazing but I had a consistent problem with it stove piping and I cant tell if its the ammo im using or the mags or the ak and I just dont get enough range time to trouble shoot it and its my second AK and I have little experience with these things. Once during a clearing procedure after a jam I actually ended up with the round behind the hammer under the dustcover somehow, figure that one out :lol2: I just have this feeling that its something simple and easy to fix but I cant pinpoint it with the little trigger time I get.

You need a big f'ing hammer to adjust the extractor. It's probably sitting too low. I had to do the same with my AK-74 and Nodak receiver... It's just a matter of "tuning." An AK gets tuned with a hammer. :)

Mark

gibby

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Bel Air, MD
    I have a kit that I have to finish putting together. If you put a group build party together. I would be interested, if possible.

jdramsey

Troll hunter.
    Aug 5, 2009
    St. Mary's Co. MD
    I've build one yugo underfold (M70), and I've now got a kit for an AK74, but just waiting for warmer weather to put it together, my garage gets cold.

-I have a 30 ton press.
    -I've got a bending jig with two sets of side plates, one for the standard 1mm flats, and one for the 1.5mm yugo flats.
    -I've got Bolt cutters modded for rivet crushing.
    -I made my own jigs for the trigger guard rivets, and for pressing the barrel into the front trunion.
    -I've got a spot welder for welding the inner rails in place, but I prefer to drill a few small holes in the flat and then use my buddy's TIG welger to fill them in and weld the inner rails in place that way. Of course it's not my TIG welder to offer up to the rest of the world.

So if anybody needs help, or access to a press and jig, or what ever..... Just let me know. I'm in Mechanicsville, St. Mary's county.

Last edited:

RodMan

May 2, 2011
    Maryland
    jdramsey, just registered and am a 1st timer on any forum! I need help with an AK build, but need a "good craftsmanship" builders to learn from. I have some tools to utilize and only the weekends to build. Let me know what I need to bring to the table to get started. I am interested in parkerizing the AK or going to a more durable finsih other that durocolor. BUT, I currently have a slight cervical disk issue to resolve before starting. If you are interested along with others to utilize several weekend to accomplish a quality build, please let me know. I am in the Bowie area. THANKS! winterstormfront@verizon.net

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom