• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I always tell people to buy their first AR. In due time, they will 'customize' it to their liking. In that process of customization, they will become very familiar with the inner workings of the AR15. At that point, they will be ready to take on their first(but never their last) AR15 home build.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I always tell people to buy their first AR. In due time, they will 'customize' it to their liking. In that process of customization, they will become very familiar with the inner workings of the AR15. At that point, they will be ready to take on their first(but never their last) AR15 home build.
    I have an orphan upper that needs a lower. Time to start acquiring parts again. Who has decent stripped lowers in inventory in the Bernie/Dena area? Field Traders always had good ones but they are gone now. I liked that place too, it's a shame.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA

Yeah, I suppose that's basically how I did it. My first two ARs (a DPMS Panther AP4 which I bought in 2009, and my Daniel Defense M4A1, which I got in 2019) were both purchased from stores. But the last three ARs that I've owned since were parts guns.

thedutchtouch

Feb 14, 2023
    This. I was on the fence for a while myself, just bought my first one and for some reason it just makes more sense having one to take apart than reading about all the options of how to build from a stripped lower online.

Mar 23, 2016
    I would buy a built upper and build a stripped lower also I would look into a piston driven upper much cleaner operation that is just my opinion

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I would buy a built upper and build a stripped lower also I would look into a piston driven upper much cleaner operation that is just my opinion
    I would only go with a piston upper if it was a purpose built piston and not a conversion.

Fun fact: piston ARs don't have to have heavy barrels in Md.

Topshift5

Jul 6, 2023
    Waldorf
    I would only go with a piston upper if it was a purpose built piston and not a conversion.

Fun fact: piston ARs don't have to have heavy barrels in Md.
    That’s good to know. I never thought about the piston when the guy at Fred’s Outdoors in Waldorf showed me one of their piston AR’s and said it’s about 3K and one of the more reliable ones and I immediately put that down and never thought of piston before. I been reading more about the gas Carbine or mid length and decided on that.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    That’s good to know. I never thought about the piston when the guy at Fred’s Outdoors in Waldorf showed me one of their piston AR’s and said it’s about 3K and one of the more reliable ones and I immediately put that down and never thought of piston before. I been reading more about the gas Carbine or mid length and decided on that.
    Piston ARs tend to be a little bit heavier than DI guns.

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    There's always a trade off. Mine's heavy but I think it has like a 5lb barrel on it to start so the piston isn't making that much difference.
    I'm going to edit for clarity. I should have said "little bit heavier".

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Do youself a favor and do both. Buy a complete AR15 now and also buy a stripped lower at the same time. Then as time and money permits, build your second.

This way, you'll get to start to familiarize youself with the AR15 platform and decide for yourself what you like and don't like. You'll then be able to better tailor your build to your individual preferences.
    ^^ This ^^

archangel2003

May 28, 2017
    Hi all!

I’m going to finally pull the trigger on AR15 over the weekend and I needed some opinions/guidance from those that have went the DIY Build route or Buy route and if you had to do it all over again would you still choose the same route.

This will be the first and only AR15 that we will have. We don’t plan on buying more. Maybe in the future we will expand to different firearms (shotgun and handguns).

1. The use of this AR will strictly be for recreational purposes at shooting ranges. Preferably outdoors if we can find good ones locally.
    2. Budget is ~$600 on the top end.
    3. It will get used probably once or twice a month at the range until I get bored of it.

So… after doing some research I’ve came upon this Diamondback Firearms DB15 that I can order it from local shop and get it in my hands in about a week timeframe.

My thing is should I just go for this fully ready to go out the box one or my $600 could be better spent piecing out putting together a custom one.

I came to find out if I choose to go custom route and get a stripped lower ($99 from Hanover Armories, I was told I need to go through the Form 77R process and wait a week) if I get a fully assembled it’s only the Form 4473.

For a DIY I was thinking:
    Stripped lower ~$100
    Upper ~250
    Stock ~$50
    Lower Parts Kit ~50
    Bolt Carrier Group ~ 100
    Misc parts ~100/150

If I can make a DIY that is far superior to Diamondback DB15 for a few more bucks I don’t mind going close to $700 if it can feel that much different.

Or should I just get the DB15 and spend rest on ammo and call it a day?

If you have built a rifle around 6-700 price point would you do it all over again or just go buy a new mass produced rifle and use the money saved towards ammo as theoretically aren’t all AR’s able to shoot a target down range?
    It took so long to collect the parts to build my first one I failed to keep track of the costs involved, but it was no more than $500, it has a 16" barrel, mid length gas system, military style front sight an M-16 style carry handle on the rail, triangle hand guard, serialized polymer lower, adjustable stock and so light weight it honestly feels like a child's toy.
    I did keep better records on the second one and here it is.
    My lower was welded from flat steel plate so heavy as the barrel is but very sturdy.
    The seller, and price paid are listed, but just about everything that was purchased was either on sale or was listed as a clearance item.

Attachments

• 2nd AR Rifle.pdf
      24.8 KB · Views: 57
    • 20220926_185804.jpg
      20220926_185804.jpg
      107.6 KB · Views: 43
    • 20220926_185927.jpg
      20220926_185927.jpg
      86.4 KB · Views: 45
    Last edited:

rob.mwp

Jul 5, 2023
    Hazard County
    It took so long to collect the parts to build my first one I failed to keep track of the costs involved, but it was no more than $500, it has a 16" barrel, mid length gas system, military style front sight an M-16 style carry handle on the rail, triangle hand guard, serialized polymer lower, adjustable stock and so light weight it honestly feels like a child's toy.
    I did keep better records on the second one and here it is.
    My lower was welded from flat steel plate so heavy as the barrel is but very sturdy.
    The seller, and price paid are listed, but just about everything that was purchased was either on sale or was listed as a clearance item.
    That's awesome, thanks for the breakdown

skeet 028

Apr 1, 2023
    Wy
    I have ownd a dozen or so ARs..."Building" one for your first is not the way to go. Putting one together isn't hard but it can be cheap. I actually have two at present...the built one is an Anderson upper and lower...it's ok shoots fine upgraded trigger but it is a collapsible stock 16 in A4 style . As I said it shoots ok but no more real accuracy than one of my Ruger Mini 14s. The other that I shoot PDs with here on the ranch(Wy) is a Bushmaster Varminter. It shoots almost as good as a bolt gun. To be honest if you want an accurate rifle buy one with solid stock longer bbl and if you are just going to shoot paper don't worry too much it'll probably shoot as well as you can. It'll do most of what you want it to do. You can get an AR to shoot and shoot well If you SPEND THE MONEY.. But to be honest the avg $600 A4 is meant to be an ammo and money burner....almost as bad as fantastic plastic 9mm handguns...fun but expensive to shoot. I use rifles for hunting. The Bushmaster shoots 60 gr Nosler Partitions...legal for deer here antelope too. My wife shot coyotes with it too but coyote hides sell for a fair price so mostly shoot FMJs at them. Buy a cheaper all ready to go gun...so when you get bored you won't lose as much money on the deal. I have a friend here who has a super accurate AR for his winter job... killing coyotes. serious shooter...serious money seriously expensive rifles . Used to be some serious ARs made down near Cambridge

Feb 28, 2013
    Hi all!

I’m going to finally pull the trigger on AR15 over the weekend and I needed some opinions/guidance from those that have went the DIY Build route or Buy route and if you had to do it all over again would you still choose the same route.

This will be the first and only AR15 that we will have. We don’t plan on buying more. Maybe in the future we will expand to different firearms (shotgun and handguns).

1. The use of this AR will strictly be for recreational purposes at shooting ranges. Preferably outdoors if we can find good ones locally.
    2. Budget is ~$600 on the top end.
    3. It will get used probably once or twice a month at the range until I get bored of it.

So… after doing some research I’ve came upon this Diamondback Firearms DB15 that I can order it from local shop and get it in my hands in about a week timeframe.

My thing is should I just go for this fully ready to go out the box one or my $600 could be better spent piecing out putting together a custom one.

I came to find out if I choose to go custom route and get a stripped lower ($99 from Hanover Armories, I was told I need to go through the Form 77R process and wait a week) if I get a fully assembled it’s only the Form 4473.

For a DIY I was thinking:
    Stripped lower ~$100
    Upper ~250
    Stock ~$50
    Lower Parts Kit ~50
    Bolt Carrier Group ~ 100
    Misc parts ~100/150

If I can make a DIY that is far superior to Diamondback DB15 for a few more bucks I don’t mind going close to $700 if it can feel that much different.

Or should I just get the DB15 and spend rest on ammo and call it a day?

If you have built a rifle around 6-700 price point would you do it all over again or just go buy a new mass produced rifle and use the money saved towards ammo as theoretically aren’t all AR’s able to shoot a target down range?
    Ive built one for $600 but it was with all basic parts, nothin fancy

Cant go wrong with a Windham

NebTim

Leonidas likes Patriots
    Apr 11, 2018
    Marilandistan
    I think it's going to be really hard to get it at that price range. I'm more interested in any Maryland legal 5.56 semi-auto (prefer AR, but bullpup or other considered). Sorry, if I'm hyjacking your question, but I'm speaking to the OP's post. I think making an AR is not a good idea for a 'first and only' rifle.

thedutchtouch

Feb 14, 2023
    I picked up my m&p sport 2 on consignment recently for 600. I don't think I got ripped off but correct me if I'm wrong, I won't be offended, it's mine now and I like it. it came with a soft case and I purchased magazines separately so I'm into it for a bit more but don't fully consider the magazines part of the gun price. The used market may be a place to look to get in that price range.

Feb 28, 2013
    I think it's going to be really hard to get it at that price range. I'm more interested in any Maryland legal 5.56 semi-auto (prefer AR, but bullpup or other considered). Sorry, if I'm hyjacking your question, but I'm speaking to the OP's post. I think making an AR is not a good idea for a 'first and only' rifle.
    Well, depends really what you like. I prefer mine old skool and mil spec but everybody likes this free float weirdness now with pic rails all over the place so they can make their rifle look like a chandelier

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom