• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I'm approaching 20k AR's that have come across my bench or have been through my classes. Colts rarely have problems that were not created by someone messing with them.

Colt AR's have consistently efficient gas system components and their chamber and BCG are extremely consistent.

I have over 100k in tooling and gauges for just the AR. If I had none of that and had to pick one AR to blindly trust it would be a Colt.

They are not always the prettiest, but they are consistently good.

Colts also have fantastic resale value.
    I think they are out of the OPs budget and not what he wanted. There are limited models available for sale in MD and from their website it doesn't look like they have any MD compliant ARs to choose from. I'm sure colts are GTG but there are a lot of options and for me Colt is not on my radar.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    As Nutnfancy often says it's the philosophy of use that will determine how you build out your rifle and what you like on it. I don't need flashlights on all of my carbines and I don't need scopes either. All personal preference and budgeting. People will say that Aimpoints are the best red dots, for me the Romeo 5s are the best for what I want and need. I've definitely saved money on CR2032s with the auto shutoff feature. I build my rifles for a specific use. It's impossible to build all the configurations but mine range from 5" barrels out to 20" depending on what caliber and what it's for.

I bought my first rifle and it's nothing like what it started out as.
    While I agree with the Philosophy of Use approach, i freaking hate nutnfancy lol. Something about him just pisses me off to no end. Absolute word vomit content.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I'm approaching 20k AR's that have come across my bench or have been through my classes. Colts rarely have problems that were not created by someone messing with them.

Colt AR's have consistently efficient gas system components and their chamber and BCG are extremely consistent.

I have over 100k in tooling and gauges for just the AR. If I had none of that and had to pick one AR to blindly trust it would be a Colt.

They are not always the prettiest, but they are consistently good.

Colts also have fantastic resale value.
    OP, just adding to this; United Gun Shop usually has at least one used MD Legal HBAR Colt for sale (~$900). JLowes will occasionally get a SOCOM barrel Colt. Worth considering.

[EDIT] Maybe even a Colt upper:

https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts...rs-parts/m4-upper-receiver-5-56-socom-barrel/

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The $$ of Buy vs Sorta Build ( buy upper & lower assemblies , and snap together) vs Build piece by piece . It's been debated here forever . And the answer is : Maybe , Sort of , Sometimes , and it Depends .

It depends on who has what On Sale for complete rifles this week .

It depends on who has what On Sale for components this week .

These two fluctuate , and the bottom line can change week to week , and month to month .

Also it depends on what parts and features you want . Are you cool with anything that goes bang ? Do you specifically want X brand of fore end . Y brand of buttstock , Z model of trigger , etc . Do you want old school ( ok , medium school ) GI ?

Yes , buying components you will avoid the 11% FET , but that's often balanced out by economy of scale of Mfg building in bulk , vs you paying retail for assemblies or components .

If low price is controlling parameter , as of 10 minutes ago , JLowes has least expensive Md Legal AR for $ 577 . You'd have to scramble today to beat that by buying components .

Shanny

Jul 14, 2022
    Maryland
    I just finished my build, however, when i bought my LCRWC DI i had no idea i would have to accessorize it so much, that was just my ignorance, i like that i learned as i went and it’s customized to my taste, so i’m good with it, if you know exactly what you want and find it at your price point go for it! good luck

Samlab

Feb 14, 2018
    Down by the riverside
    Topshift Im going to give you some great advice purchase your first AR. Next for your budget or above you want to get a Goodtime Outdoors in Ocala FL their Core15. This is a company that has a lifetime warranty no matter who owns the rifle. Its a group of USA military veterans that make them from the ground up, everything. With one exception, the have a vendor that makes their trigger assemblies for them from their specifications. The result in your price range is a rifle that is exceptionally accurate and their triggers are to die for, the triggers hands down you’ll love. They are superb. This company has a serious following especially for their high end rifles. They get snapped up on GB. Go do your research. They sure did. Hope this helps. Purchase one and you certainly will be a happy camper as its comes with the bells and whistles in receiver design already out of the box.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    So do you find all the parts and buy from 1 place, or buy over time during sales from multiple?

I ask because if buying from multiple places doesn't shipping bite into overall savings?
    You'll save on shipping if you can buy from one place. I use Primary Arms a lot, but it depends on who has what at a better price. I still think for your first AR it's better to buy a mid range gun and learn from there. I have a feeling if you build one out of the gate it'll be the same as if you bought a complete rifle in that you will want to change it around, figure out what you like and don't like, order parts that won't work and have to replace those, don't order enough detents and have to wait a week for more to arrive while trying to put your front take down pin in, realize you don't have a tool you need, a good vice is crucial, spend more in tools than a new rifle would have cost, you hate keymod and now want an Mlok system, forgot to buy crush washers, have to buy spacers to clock your muzzle brake just right, marred you lower trying to put the roll pin in for the mag catch, I could go on and on.

Last edited:

rob.mwp

Jul 5, 2023
    Hazard County
    You'll save on shipping if you can buy from one place. I use Primary Arms a lot, but it depends on who has what at a better price. I still think for your first AR it's better to buy a mid range gun and learn from there. I have a feeling if you build one out of the gate it'll be the same as if you bought a complete rifle in that you will want to change it around, figure out what you like and don't like, order parts that won't work and have to replace those, don't order enough detents and have to wait a week for more to arrive while trying to put your front take down pin in, realize you don't have a tool you need, a good vice is crucial, spend more in tools than a new rifle would have cost, you hate keymod and now want an Mlok system, forgot to buy crush washers, have to buy spacers to clock your muzzle brake just right, marred you lower trying to put the roll pin in for the mag catch, I could go on and on.
    I would 100% agree with you. I might still go that route. My only reason for contemplating the other way is that I have a cousin who lives right across from my house that has built numerous and has all the tools to do so.

Still in the learning stage. I've decided no matter what to wait for black Friday sales before doing anything. By the time I get there I (hope) I know more than I do now and can make an educated decision.

I am having a ton of fun shooting my little M4-22 though. Everyone in the house loves it.

Thanks

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I would 100% agree with you. I might still go that route. My only reason for contemplating the other way is that I have a cousin who lives right across from my house that has built numerous and has all the tools to do so.

Still in the learning stage. I've decided no matter what to wait for black Friday sales before doing anything. By the time I get there I (hope) I know more than I do now and can make an educated decision.

I am having a ton of fun shooting my little M4-22 though. Everyone in the house loves it.

Thanks
    I f has all the tools and he's built a couple learn from your cousin and go from there. It'll be fun either way.

Broadside

Mar 20, 2012
    Virginia
    Do youself a favor and do both. Buy a complete AR15 now and also buy a stripped lower at the same time. Then as time and money permits, build your second.

This way, you'll get to start to familiarize youself with the AR15 platform and decide for yourself what you like and don't like. You'll then be able to better tailor your build to your individual preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom