• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    OP, unless you have specific needs that necessitate the Colt, get the WW and call it a day. As somebody already said, the savings will buy you a bunch of extra stuff. WW rifles are well made and they stand behind their product. If you don't know, WW's founder is Dick Dyke, the same guy who founded Bushmaster. WW is in the original Bushmaster facility in Windham, Maine.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I must say it warms my heart, and gives me renewed hope to see vicious , unresolvable bickering on MDS about somthing that is not political or sexual in nature.

Gun forums should at least occasionally fued about actual Guns .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Meanwhile ;

Colt has gone thru several mgmt changes since the large pin era, there isn"t any meaningful continuity to try to punish at this point.

And my Large Pin Sportster is a fine, reliable, very accurate rifle.

Mike444

About to be a CZ guy
    Dec 30, 2012
    Parkton
    I agree Bigfoot and appreciate the honest and passionate feedback. Think i need to make a trip up to JLowes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I'd add to my earlier opinion. I have to two friends that have WW's, neither have complained about anything. It is a good AR. A lot of bang for your buck. You could also get a few other brands in that price range. Ruger, Smith and Wesson and ones others have mentioned. It's a wonderful time to be an AR buyer, albeit MD makes it tough.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I wouldn't consider the Colt a budget AR. In my opinion we're not comparing apples to apples anyway. Plenty of other AR's available to compare to the Windham.

A couple of hundred bucks more for something that will be passed down to the next generation is nothing. Buy the Colt.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I think 95% of people who ask about AR brands have made already made up their minds. Because of that, I don't often offer advice much anymore. Ill throw this out there for the 5% who have not made up their mind.

Zoo speaks from a wealth of experience and my own experiences with Colt AR's and other brands of AR's mirror his comments. Notice I specifically say "COLT AR's". I'm not a brand fanboy, and I'm certainly not a fan of ALL Colt products. Just because Colt makes a great AR today, does not mean they will ALWAYS make a great AR.

I'm not fond of the Large Pin Colt AR's, but beyond those particular models, there is no reason to avoid a Colt AR unless you have a registered DIAS.

I see few problems from Windham AR's. Feed Ramp and Gas Key issues do pop up from time to time.

Here is what one can consider:

-I have more AR specific Tools and AR Gauges than 99.99% of AR owners and probably 95% of most Gunsmiths. Those who have taken my AR Classes can attest to this. I test and gauge EVERYTHING I touch. I try to reinforce everything with data. I am very much aware of cost and value. If I NEEDED an AR that I ABSOLUTELY needed to use to defend my life with, and I DID NOT have access to the tools and gauges that I have, my choice is 100% is a Colt AR15, all day, every day.

-Colt does not try and dupe the public like other AR Companies do with inferior coatings like Nitride and NiB. They use PROVEN Materials, Manufacturing, Testing, & Gauging Techniques. Windham does not add those inferior things like NiB or Nitride, but I wanted to throw that out there.

-Colt's BCG's are second to none and ALL Bolts are HPT/MPI, unlike ones that "Batch Test".

-Colt uses the BEST Extractor Springs on the market. (Colt Gold Extractor Spring)

-Colt AR's will retain value better than almost ANY other brand.

-I have NEVER see issues with Colt M4 Feed Ramps, unlike other brands of M4 Ramps. Zoo can speak to WHY this is.

-I have NEVER experienced Colt Gas Key Gauging Issue, Gas Key Torque Value, or Staking Issue out of the box.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    I think 95% of people who ask about AR brands have made already made up their minds. Because of that, I don't often offer advice much anymore. Ill throw this out there for the 5% who have not made up their mind.

Zoo speaks from a wealth of experience and my own experiences with Colt AR's and other brands of AR's mirror his comments. Notice I specifically say "COLT AR's". I'm not a brand fanboy, and I'm certainly not a fan of ALL Colt products. Just because Colt makes a great AR today, does not mean they will ALWAYS make a great AR.

I'm not fond of the Large Pin Colt AR's, but beyond those particular models, there is no reason to avoid a Colt AR unless you have a registered DIAS.

I see few problems from Windham AR's. Feed Ramp and Gas Key issues do pop up from time to time.

-I have more AR specific Tools and AR Gauges than 99.99% of AR owners and probably 95% of most Gunsmiths. Those who have taken my AR Classes can attest to this. I test and gauge EVERYTHING I touch. I try to reinforce everything with data. I am very much aware of cost and value. If I NEEDED an AR that I ABSOLUTELY needed to use to defend my life with, and I DID NOT have access to the tools and gauges that I have, my choice is 100% is a Colt AR15, all day, every day.

-Colt does not try and dupe the public like other AR Companies do with inferior coatings like Nitride and NiB. They use PROVEN Materials, Manufacturing, Testing, & Gauging Techniques. Windham does not add those inferior things like NiB or Nitride, but I wanted to throw that out there.

-Colt's BCG's are second to none and ALL Bolts are HPT/MPI, unlike ones that "Batch Test".

-Colt uses the BEST Extractor Springs on the market. (Colt Gold Extractor Spring)

-I have NEVER see issues with Colt M4 Feed Ramps, unlike other brands of M4 Ramps. Zoo can speak to WHY this is.

-I have NEVER experienced Colt Gas Key Gauging Issue, Gas Key Torque Value, or Staking Issue out of the box.

wrong! you are just paying for a brand! dont make me cry! :lol2:

Mike444

About to be a CZ guy
    Dec 30, 2012
    Parkton

I have not made up my mind and I appreciate your comments. I almost bought the WW last week but something told me to do some more research. My wife tells me I research too much. So in addition to reading lots of stuff I decided to reach out to y'all.

Thx - mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom