• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m.ammer69

Jul 3, 2013
    Hi guys looking for something suggestions on a budget AR-10/lr-308, I know it's probably not very budget but you get what I mean. I'm curious if you guys have any suggestions on this, I'm not really looking for anything fancy,more or less just reliable Plain Jane rifle that won't break the bank.
    The only specifics I'm looking for is a 20in barrel, is reliable, and preferably side charging (not necessarily). I'm not worried about stocks, handguards or sights, I plan to put my own on, so I guess something I would be able to find furniture and sights for easily would also be preferred.
    I've been looking at bear creek armory and thinking of getting an upper and lower from them, and then just switch out the stock and handguard, planning to put iron sights or peep sight/ghost ring. Would love to see your guys suggestions.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Aero M5 is supposed to be pretty good. PSA AR10s have gotten decent reviews. I have a Smith and Wesson M&P10, with a 18" barrel, and it has been good so far. Not too expensive.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I put together a budget AR-10 build when covid was ramping up. Used a new frontier billet lower and a bear creek side charging upper. It's only had around 500rnds through it so far but it functions fine and hovers around 1moa for accuracy. My only dislike is needing an Allen wrench now to field strip it. It gets used as a farm gun bouncing around on tractors and ATVs and fits that role well.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    This was several years ago but I bought an Armalite AR-10 from Atlantic Guns for $995 new. The only thing it did not come with a detachable carry handle which was easy enough to find. It's been a great piece...never misses a beat and with easy to source P-mags something pretty easy on the wallet...ammunition cost these days aside.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Aero M5 is supposed to be pretty good. PSA AR10s have gotten decent reviews. I have a Smith and Wesson M&P10, with a 18" barrel, and it has been good so far. Not too expensive.
    I'd go PSA if you want one ready to rock and roll. They seem to be decent. Don't expect excellence, but it should work fine and be fairly accurate. If there are any real problems, PSA is pretty good at resolving them.

Aero is going to be nicer, but also more $.

If you don't mind asking some questions and doing some research, but also out on your own limb, build your own. Then you'll get exactly what you want at the price you want to pay.

My Aero M5 based AR-10 was about $700 before the optic getting it piece meal.

Rocinante

Jul 19, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    If you JUST want a large-frame AR just to have one, get a BCA-10.
    The only specifics I'm looking for is a 20in barrel, is reliable, and preferably side charging (not necessarily). I'm not worried about stocks, handguards or sights, I plan to put my own on, so I guess something I would be able to find furniture and sights for easily would also be preferred.
    So with your requirements, you have 3 options:
    1. BCA-10
    2. LWRC REPR
    3. Gibbz G10
    I've been looking at bear creek armory and thinking of getting an upper and lower from them, and then just switch out the stock and handguard, planning to put iron sights or peep sight/ghost ring. Would love to see your guys suggestions.
    This option gets you into what is essentially uncharted territory. No large-frame AR platform is standardized like AR-15s are and there is no guarantee of interchangeability. That said, Aero M5 and BCA-10 uppers and lowers usually play nice together, and are both DPMS-high type receivers. Gibbs G10 is also DPMS but I do not know if it is high or low or has other proprietary parts.
    Also bear in mind: ALL large-frame ARs are finnicky, and HAVE NO GUARENTEE of functioning out of the box. You will likely have to troubleshoot even on a pre-built. You will 100% have to troubleshoot if you go the build route.
    If you do go the build route, here's a handy guide I made since this information is basically not out there in a simple form:
    ar10sheet.png

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Bear creek - just don't
    PSA, about 50-50 if it will run well or will need to send it back, possibly more than once.
    Aero, can be good, but will need a couple changes to run well.
    Sig and M&P are good.

There are essentially 3 options for most parts, Armalite AR10 spec, DPMS AR308 spec, and proprietary. A good receiver set and barrel matter the most, BCG and buffer setup will keep it reliable. Furniture is really the main place to save money. I use AR10 spec rifle or carbine (A5 tube, H3 buffer) buffer setups as the DPMS spec short buffer is trash, but shared by many makes including Aero. You can run 7.62 nato spec ammo all day reliably with most, but commercial spec 308 pressures vary wildly, so an AGB is a good idea

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    If you JUST want a large-frame AR just to have one, get a BCA-10.

So with your requirements, you have 3 options:
    1. BCA-10
    2. LWRC REPR
    3. Gibbz G10

This option gets you into what is essentially uncharted territory. No large-frame AR platform is standardized like AR-15s are and there is no guarantee of interchangeability. That said, Aero M5 and BCA-10 uppers and lowers usually play nice together, and are both DPMS-high type receivers. Gibbs G10 is also DPMS but I do not know if it is high or low or has other proprietary parts.
    Also bear in mind: ALL large-frame ARs are finnicky, and HAVE NO GUARENTEE of functioning out of the box. You will likely have to troubleshoot even on a pre-built. You will 100% have to troubleshoot if you go the build route.
    If you do go the build route, here's a handy guide I made since this information is basically not out there in a simple form:
    View attachment 369841
    Great guide. Rocinante.

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    My first was an m&p 10 and was very happy with it. I put an adjustable gas block on it and my suppressor and was getting under 2moa with the mil spec trigger. It then switched a larue mbt2 trigger and got it right around an inch.

I think I paid 800 ish bucks for it.

RJRjr

Aug 26, 2017
    cecil county
    I'm building one now. My first 308 build. Had a S&W m&p 10 that was ok but traded it away. Using an Aero m5 lower and m5e1 upper. Ballistic advantage 16 inch barrel. Just kind of waiting for things to be on sale and getting them a piece or two at a time. Still need gas block, wanting a SLR adjustable, flash hider, charging handle. Got the m5e1 upper/ handguard combo on sale at granite ridge. Got the barrel and toolcraft bcg on sale at Arm or Ally. Used a5 buffer tube / armalite spring and h3 buffer .
    20220612_154011.jpg
    20220612_153722.jpg
    20220612_153625.jpg
    20220612_153441.jpg

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I was having this debate with myself recently.
    But then had to ask "should I go the 308 bolt action" route instead ??

I have no illusions of being a long range sniper in the zombie SHTF scenario.
    So if 3-400 yards is the max shot ever,, the only advantage of a bolt gun is reliability and lower cost.

m.ammer69

Jul 3, 2013
    Thank you guys for all of the info and suggestions. I saw someone asked if I just wanted a large frame AR just to have one, I guess so. I mean I'd like something I can take to the range and have fun with but be reliable enough I could hunt with it, or if the sht really it the fan, use it, with some regular maintenance. I plan to outfit it a little bit like an SR-25. Because this is my first AR style rifle I'm not looking at doing a from scratch build. Farthest I'd like to go as far as build, is getting a complete upper and lower, putting them together and troubleshooting from there, or getting a complete upper and lower set and then getting a barrel,stock, sites,etc separately.

Wardove

Jul 23, 2017
    Blairsville, GA
    Hi guys looking for something suggestions on a budget AR-10/lr-308, I know it's probably not very budget but you get what I mean. I'm curious if you guys have any suggestions on this, I'm not really looking for anything fancy,more or less just reliable Plain Jane rifle that won't break the bank.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

So if 3-400 yards is the max shot ever,, the only advantage of a bolt gun is reliability and lower cost.
    Reloading. A bolt gun is kinder on brass and you don’t have to chase it. Plus you can potentially load it longer. Also lighter for otherwise similar attributes.

Don’t get me wrong, I really like the AR-10 I built. My Sako Forester in .308 is only 2” longer even though it has a 23” vs 18” barrel. It weighs about 10oz less. And no brass chasing or damage to the brass.

The said I’ve got an AGB and with a brass deflector pad on it the brass wear is minimal. Just a small mark from the ejector and extractor. It typically lands on the table. Only really hot heavy stuff ejects far enough to go off the table and land on the ground.

Similar levels of initial accuracy, though the AR-10 is more accurate with strings of fire as it heats up than the Sako. The Sako can shoot sub-MOA all day long, so long as you are shooting about a round every 5 minutes. Otherwise you get one really nice sub-MOA 3 shot group and then you need to let it cool a little or else the groups will open. Not by a ton, but it ends up around 1 1/4MOA and 1MOA shift left by around round 5 and stays around there.

That AR-10 I’ve yet to see groups open up more than a minuscule amount and I’ve shot it enough I put it to the side because of the mirage off my silencer was getting too bad for me to clearly see the target at 100yds. About 25 rounds in maybe 3 minutes. My AR-10 does have a huge shift with my can on. About 3MOA to its 7 o,clock. My Howa 1500 in 6.5G only has about a 1MOA shift from my can. My .223 ARs are also less, about 1-2 MOA shifts.

Oh and an AR-10 will recoil less.

A bolt gun just is a fun tactile experience you don’t get with a semi.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I really like my M&P10, I free floated the handguard, added a Magpul stock, and a CMC flat trigger. I really like the ambi controls and it's plenty accurate. I think I paid around $1k for it and it was worth it.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

Have bolts and semis, while bolts are fun and accurate, I LOVE my AR10/AR308s most of all. They can put up impressive groups with a decent precision build, can be relatively lightweight, can have absurdly light recoil for the caliber, and adjust easily to most any shooter. My 10yo absolutely loves this lightweight Aero M5 build, here running suppressed, but take the can off the comp, and run it in 3 gun heavy. Its stupid fun to just watch plates get smacked over and over out to several hundred yards as fast as you can pull the trigger.

Attachments

• 20201213_161752.jpg
      20201213_161752.jpg
      517.5 KB · Views: 51

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    In SHTF Scenario any "long range gun" would be valuable highly doubt any strategy will be used by the mobs. In the SHTF scenario they are not looking for where the bullets are coming from. Now against an organized enemy yes bolt gun that is super accurate would be preferable to engage further out. but once the enemy closes I would prefer to have a box mag fed rifle just for multiple "fast" shots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom