• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I really like my M&P10, I free floated the handguard, added a Magpul stock, and a CMC flat trigger. I really like the ambi controls and it's plenty accurate. I think I paid around $1k for it and it was worth it.
    I like mine, but haven't shot it with the scope on it yet. I haven't free floated the barrel, it still has the factory handguards, which I don't think I will mess with, because everything matches. This is the rifle I bought;

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    I was having this debate with myself recently.
    But then had to ask "should I go the 308 bolt action" route instead ??

Get both? Clearly the only real answer...

It's what I did.

kdLe9Fj.jpg

SQJeCYe.jpg

Last edited:

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The Bergara B14 Ridge (has a threaded barrel) is a REALLY nice bolt gun for around $700. A real tack driver. The other B14 models have a lighter barrel profile but lack the threaded barrel.

Meditator

Dec 9, 2007
    Bethesda MD
    Built mine from PSA blemished parts kit / receiver for around $650 this time last year. Put may be 40 rds through (so far), with no issue.

A month later went on to snag a Sig716i for $900 shipped in unfired condition, through private sale. With 16" barrel, it feels handier.

Between the two, definitely get the 716i (seen going for $1.2K or so) which seems to have excellent reviews. Both use the same P mags, got them from Joebob..... I had owned Sig (556) previously and major issue was availability of spare parts.

spur0701

Dec 31, 2009
    Built mine from PSA blemished parts kit / receiver for around $650 this time last year. Put may be 40 rds through (so far), with no issue.

A month later went on to snag a Sig716i for $900 shipped in unfired condition, through private sale. With 16" barrel, it feels handier.

Between the two, definitely get the 716i (seen going for $1.2K or so) which seems to have excellent reviews. Both use the same P mags, got them from Joebob..... I had owned Sig (556) previously and major issue was availability of spare parts.

A lightly used Sig716i for $900 is a great price. I've been looking at new ones lately and haven't seen anything below about $1400.

Prices for .308 ARs don't seem to have come back down post panic the way 5.56 ARs have. Memorial Day sale (2019) before the pandemic, PSA had PA10 kits on sale for $349, this one:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...Avantlink&utm_medium=Referral&utm_campaign=cl

That was with free shipping, the PSA receivers for it were $79, this one:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-gen2-pa10-308-stripped-lower-receiver-516445318.html

Yes, that had an A2 front sight but that was everything except a rear sight for $429. Now you can't get anything similar for twice that. I sold the one I had gotten during the panic and built an Aero M5 with the proceedes, I was just not digging the A2 front sight. Also, rememeber that even if you do as little as buying a completed lower serperate from a complete upper you are not paying the federal %15 firearms tax, or so is my understanding.

Here's a recent review of the Gen 3 PA10 and he compared and contrasted it with some other 308 ARs to a limited degree and talks about upgrades:

Also, anything from PSA will have a pretty good warranty if you run into problems, if you do it will more than likely be with the upper and that's easy foto ship back for repair and they pay the shipping, or they always have for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom