• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hippy

Mar 11, 2008
    Frostburg Md
    I would really like to purchase a good 22 Semi-auto pistol and am considering either a Browning Buck Mark or Ruger Mk 3 with a 5-7" Heavy bbl.

Any real world experience with either of these ??

Thanx,
    Jim

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I have a MkI and a Buckmark and I must say that the Browning is MUCH easier to reassemble after cleaning. Plus the TacSol barrel makes it so light and quite accurate.
    2193_1078593133888_3653_n.jpg
    2092_1071656120467_2925_n.jpg

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I need a normal grip angle and don't need headaches so of the two I would go browning. My personal 22 semi is a S&W 22a. I have a scoped 7" barrel that is good for 3-4moa with Wal Mart ammo and a 5" barrel with a red dot that is great for speed shooting. I am thinking of spending another $120-150 for another 7" barrel with premium target sights.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I just went through the same decision process. It's like Ford vs Chevy. Both are very nice. After handling various models of each in person, I went with the Buckmark Camper. Brought it home yesterday. It fits my smaller hands really well compared to Mark III. The 22/45 Target fits my hands well, too, but I still preferred the Buckmark. You can't go wrong either way. Buy whichever you prefer after handling them.

Last edited:

HisCombatMama

Feb 3, 2009
    I love my Buckmark! It's very accurate and easy to clean... and it just feels better in my hand than any of the Rugers that I've shot/held.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    I have shot both as well and ended up with the Ruger III Hunter. I also bought a Ruger Mark III 22/45 which is now outfitted with a red dot and a silencer, but that's another subject altogether :).

As others have already stated, both Ruger and Browning are fine pistols. If you can get your hands on both to try before you buy, that is your best bet. Then you can choose the one that fits you best and that you shoot the best. Good luck and enjoy!

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    I am fairly happy with the Ruger Mk. III 7" barrel I got this year. Even with my less than perfectly steady hand I keep every round of bulk walmart ammo on paper at 25 yards using iron sights. Not too bad for my first .22 handgun that I just bought back in June.

Aside from some defective remington gold bullets (which wouldn't fire even in my bolt action rifle) the Ruger eats every ammo, CCI, Federal, winchester, (functional) remington, etc.

There seem to be some people who have trouble taking apart the Mk. III, but after I took a spot of time to pay attention to the disassembly/reassembly process it isn't so bad. You just need to be willing to learn how things fit together.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I have the Ruger Mark I, II, and I will be picking up my Mark III on Saturday. I love them. They are not fun to reassemble after cleaning but in my opinion they are wonderful guns.

JavaDan

Beer - Nectar of the Gods
    Feb 25, 2010
    Pasadena
    I had to make the same decision, last year.

I didn't like the feel of the Mk3 too much. The 22/45 was much better ( I also shoot a 1911).

As soon as I picked up a Buckmark, I was sold. It just felt right. I love it.

As others stated, both are real accurate and the Buckmark is a LOT easier to maintain.

Best advice is to hold them both and decide on the one that seems to feel the most natural to YOU.

mckraut

Apr 14, 2009
    Abingdon, MD
    I had to make the same decision, last year.

I didn't like the feel of the Mk3 too much. The 22/45 was much better ( I also shoot a 1911).

As soon as I picked up a Buckmark, I was sold. It just felt right. I love it.

As others stated, both are real accurate and the Buckmark is a LOT easier to maintain.

Best advice is to hold them both and decide on the one that seems to feel the most natural to YOU.

This. After I held a Buckmark Standard URX, the decision was made. As stated, it is also much easier to clean.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    This. After I held a Buckmark Standard URX, the decision was made. As stated, it is also much easier to clean.

I third that. I handled numerous Mk IIIs and 22/45s at several shops before handling a Buckmark for the first time. As soon as I put a Buckmark in my hand, it was a done deal.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I couldn't say which is better, I've shot the ruger with a primary arms red dot and loved it.

On impulse and because I thought the price was decent I bought a buckmark, out fitted with a bushnell red dot tlx 25 I think is the model. At 25 yards I don't have a problem hitting a bowling pin with ease and that's with a quick sight in, crappy ammo, and the first outting. I was impressed.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    you may be shocked buy this but...............go browning!!

I have both i have a few rugers and they shot very well but I hate putting them back together.

the buck mark shoots great and is easy to maintain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom