• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Hi, my name is circleshooter, and I'm addicted to clay shooting.

I'm hopeless. I admit it. I know I'm going to die poor, and frankly, I'm OK with it. Really. I mean...I'll be dead, right? Who needs money then? My beneficiaries can sell my shit and do what they want with the money. I'll be dead. But, until then, I'm addicted and I don't care who knows.

I spent this past Sunday shooting skeet, as I usually do, but this day I was using pump shotguns. One was my Mossberg 500 Persuader. I even left the flashlight on it. It got a few giggles, and there were a couple guffaws, but those stopped when I hit 21/25 with it at the get go. Then I used a friend's 40 year old Remington 870 Wingmaster - complete with Cutts Compensator. That was really fun. Shot a 23/25 with that one.

So on my way home I stopped at The Gun Shop (Essex) and visited my friend, and as I've come to accept, my enabler - browning guy. Didn't get out of there before placing an order for this...

BPSHunter.jpg

It's a Browning BPS "Hunter" pump gun in 28 gauge with a 26" barrel. I've always thought these were really cool. I like "different" guns and a bottom loader/ejector is neat. These are beautifully made, too - and now I'm going to own one. Don't have it yet, but I'm sure I'll post a user report after I do.

Shooting skeet with a pump gun is a blast! Especially the doubles.

This. Is. A. Sickness.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Congrats. I know the feeling. I'm impatiently waiting for my 28" 12ga Mossberg 500 Flex to show up at my LGS tomorrow. It's for sporting clays. I wanted something different than my O/U to have fun with.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    The BPS is a really good pumpgun. You're going to like it. The 28 is built like most 28s, on a 20ga frame. That makes it heavier than the Ithica which is on a true 28ga frame. For Skeet though, the BPS would be better with that extra weight.

If you aren't familiar with those bottom chuckers and have seen others seemingly pumping a lot just to chamber a round, it's because they load one in the magazine and then pump the gun to chamber it. To avoid this and pop a shell directly into the chamber, just pull the slide back a wee bit until it trips the floorplate which will then flip up into the receiver and expose the chamber. You'll get the feel for it in short order.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    You will enjoy The BPS. It's a very solid built pump gun,I bought the BPS Micro Trap for my wife in 12 gauge and she shoots it very well.
    As far as pump guns in general I love them, they are a lot of fun on the Sporting clays range, something about getting a simo pair with a pump gun, quite a challenge. I prefer the Winchester Model 12, haven't been made in 40 years but good ones are easy to find and they are built extremely well.
    The Ithaca 37 is also a nice gun and the new Ithaca Gun Company is producing some real nice pump guns although a little pricey. I have one of the new ones in 28 gauge and its a sweet little gun, just under 6 lbs and points like a magic wand.
    DSCN0445.jpg

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    As far as pump guns in general I love them, they are a lot of fun on the Sporting clays range, something about getting a simo pair with a pump gun, quite a challenge...snip

Ain't that the truth! After we shot the regular rounds I had 6 shells left so my buddy pulled pairs at stations 3,4, and 5. Hit 5 of the 6 birds. That's the moment I knew I was buying a pump gun on the way home yesterday.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    I miss my BPS! I had a gorgeous 12 gauge 3.5" with engraved receiver and gold trigger...I had to sell it 20 years ago to cover some reckless spending...Oh the agony! Congrats on your purchase, the are super sweet, I've never cycled a pump so smooth!

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    I am glad I could help a customer with there well thought out and prepared
    gun buying. It was my pleasure to assist you Sir!

So that free round of sporting clays has cost you a bundle huh???
    Gee I can't wait to shot wobble with you new gun:lol2:

I bought one for deer hunting, but only use it on doves now. I hope to use it on turkey someday. I have three barrels. I'm thinking of selling the rifled slug barrel with the Nikon Slug Hunter 3-9x scope. I'd even throw in some 12 gauge slugs. I don't know what I want for the barrel and scope yet.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I am glad I could help a customer with there well thought out and prepared
    gun buying. It was my pleasure to assist you Sir!

So that free round of sporting clays has cost you a bundle huh???
    Gee I can't wait to shot wobble with you new gun:lol2:

What free round of sporting clays? I never heard you mention the word free.

And, yeah, I'm thinking a pump gun at Pin Tail's wobble trap would be like smoking crack and then having - like - cake.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Got to use my new BPS for the first time this past weekend. It has very nice balance, the wood is outstanding compared to its cost, blueing and fit & finish is excellent, it's an excellent pointer, and the action is smooth as silk right out of the box.

But nothing is perfect, right? The LOP is about .75" short for me. It comes with a 14.25" LOP and I was shooting high a fair bit. But it's an easy tweak. I'm going to have a 1" Kick-Eez put on it. Once the butt plate comes off and the pad goes on the LOP will be correct.

But....I see myself ordering the .410 version of it in the future. This never ends, does it?

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Got to use my new BPS for the first time this past weekend. It has very nice balance, the wood is outstanding compared to its cost, blueing and fit & finish is excellent, it's an excellent pointer, and the action is smooth as silk right out of the box.

But nothing is perfect, right? The LOP is about .75" short for me. It comes with a 14.25" LOP and I was shooting high a fair bit. But it's an easy tweak. I'm going to have a 1" Kick-Eez put on it. Once the butt plate comes off and the pad goes on the LOP will be correct.

But....I see myself ordering the .410 version of it in the future. This never ends, does it?

I think you need the Guerini 20/28 combo:)

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Can't wait to see it. I have some new high speed skeet loads I want to try. Will you be around the club Wednesday? I'll shoot a round or two with you.

High speed skeet loads?!? I'm no expert but I think it might be easier to have the right lead on the target! :rolleyes:

I have to drop the keys off on Wednesday but I won't be shooting until the weekend. Works is nuts this week.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    High speed skeet loads?!? I'm no expert but I think it might be easier to have the right lead on the target! :rolleyes:

I have to drop the keys off on Wednesday but I won't be shooting until the weekend. Works is nuts this week.

Theoretically, higher speed means less lead. Also 1oz #9 instead of my trap load 1-1/8 #8. All my store boughts were 1-1/8oz 1200 fps #8. Generally moving to 1oz for trap, and just got a 7/8oz bar. Tried high speed #8 full choke for the second shot in doubles and 24 yd handicap (trap) with good success (also 2nd shoot when needed for wobble).

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Theoretically, higher speed means less lead. Also 1oz #9 instead of my trap load 1-1/8 #8. All my store boughts were 1-1/8oz 1200 fps #8. Generally moving to 1oz for trap, and just got a 7/8oz bar. Tried high speed #8 full choke for the second shot in doubles and 24 yd handicap (trap) with good success (also 2nd shoot when needed for wobble).

To each his own, but I think clay shooting is challenging enough without adding in more variables. I just think that tweaking the FPS of the shot load isn't going to make up for consistently being ahead or behind the target. And it makes more sense, to me, to be working on a consistent shooting technique - i.e. proper stance; good break, hold, and eye points; smooth swing and follow through, etc. That's done more to improve my scores regardless of gauge, brand of shell, whatever.

Just my opinion. :)

Incidentally, when I went to Jack's yesterday to pick up my "newly tubed" Caesar Guerini, I dropped off the BPS to have the stock lengthened .75" Should be just about perfect when I get it back!

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    To each his own, but I think clay shooting is challenging enough without adding in more variables. I just think that tweaking the FPS of the shot load isn't going to make up for consistently being ahead or behind the target. And it makes more sense, to me, to be working on a consistent shooting technique - i.e. proper stance; good break, hold, and eye points; smooth swing and follow through, etc. That's done more to improve my scores regardless of gauge, brand of shell, whatever.

Just my opinion. :)

Incidentally, when I went to Jack's yesterday to pick up my "newly tubed" Caesar Guerini, I dropped off the BPS to have the stock lengthened .75" Should be just about perfect when I get it back!

I agree with you for the most part. With Wobble Trap, the extra speed and tighter choke for the second shot helps as it is a pretty far out there by then.
    As you know I am primarily a Trap shooter and just fool around with Skeet. I find it fun to change things around with different guns, shotloads and such. I don't even keep score in Skeet.
    With Trap, once I get it dialed in I don't change. Same gun, shotshells, etc. everytime. Maybe once I get really good at Trap, I will take Skeet more seriously.

On another note, I wish we could shoot registered ATA targets at LR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom