• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Question for you Sir: Why/How did Chief Lanier stick around as Chief for such a long time? (Jan. 2007 - Sept. 2016) That made her the longest serving Chief in the history of the Department.

And when Diane Grooms didn't get the nod to follow Lanier, she retired to the private sector

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    Cuz the city loved her. She also lucked out and caught the tail end of aggressive policing while transferring to hands off. So she still had aggressive units and community units. It looked good for her. Now a days if your new policy doesn’t include kissing babies and getting cops in trouble it’s not progressive enough.

try being a new chief in a job that offers a very good pension and regularly have officers with 15 years on (past the halfway point) retire
    Appreciate the explanation on that Sir.

I just don't see the crime numbers dropping substantially until the Department gets back to its authorized staffing level. There are simply not enough on the street to have a deterrent effect and we can thank the US Attorney's Office for failing to prosecute many of the individuals that are arrested.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    And when Diane Grooms didn't get the nod to follow Lanier, she retired to the private sector

She runs security at The Wharf.

Chief Newsham wasn't ready for the private sector yet I guess?

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    My bet on the new Chief.

"Before taking her current post, Smith served as the MPD's Chief Equity Officer (CEO), leading the department's efforts on diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI).

Prior to joining the Metropolitan Police Department in May 2022, Ms. Smith served as a United States Park Police officer for 24 years."

That place is so utterly predictable.

I wish her the best of luck and I'm glad it's not me.

I don’t know anything about her besides what’s been mentioned. The informal outlook isn’t good but I’m willing to give it a try. Cops in general don’t like change so of course the rumor mill is flowing of negative things coming back.

Long story short the mayor and council run the department. The chief can’t really effect meaningful change.

I love Contee as a human and he tried but as you can see DC can only keep a chief just long enough for them to take that cash into retirement. A chief position should be longer than 2-3 years.

It's getting spicy:

New D.C. police chief confronts command staff after violent weekend

Pamela A. Smith told commanders at a recent meeting that she wanted more captains and lieutenants away from their desks and in the streets, according to those in attendance

There's a lot in this piece. The knives are already coming out... Wow.

Last edited:

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    Does this mean that 40 days of increased peace initiative was a failure?

Anyway....
    You're not accounting for inflation since that initiative was announced: It's now 90 days.

From the WaPo piece:

In choosing Smith, Mayor Muriel E. Bowser (D) passed over Morgan C. Kane, an assistant chief and 25-year veteran of the force who many considered the heir apparent.

Kane, one of two chiefs of patrol, declined to be interviewed for this article. Smith had only been serving in the D.C. police department for 14 months before her July 17 promotion.

Ouch.

Last edited:

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    Yes, more listening.

"We" must listen more.

:rofl:
    But this is listening AND walking.... It hasn't been tried before.

giphy.gif

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    It's getting spicy:

New D.C. police chief confronts command staff after violent weekend

Pamela A. Smith told commanders at a recent meeting that she wanted more captains and lieutenants away from their desks and in the streets, according to those in attendance

There's a lot in this piece. The knives are already coming out... Wow.
    Yeah I literally just read that. The amount of people willing to talk to the news anonymously there is not a good sign for her! I won’t even talk to Law students for their research without pre-approved questions and formal authorization!

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    Yeah I literally just read that. The amount of people willing to talk to the news anonymously there is not a good sign for her! I won’t even talk to Law students for their research without pre-approved questions and formal authorization!
    Seriously. WaPo got 10 MPD people to talk to them.

They interviewed five people in that meeting and as well as an additional five people, four of whom are on the force in upper or mid-level positions who are in regular contact with the chief and her top aides.

That's crazy stuff. I agree with you. This isn't going well at all.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    You're not accounting for inflation since that initiative was announced: It's now 90 days.

From the WaPo piece:

In choosing Smith, Mayor Muriel E. Bowser (D) passed over Morgan C. Kane, an assistant chief and 25-year veteran of the force who many considered the heir apparent.

Kane, one of two chiefs of patrol, declined to be interviewed for this article. Smith had only been serving in the D.C. police department for 14 months before her July 17 promotion.

Ouch.

Well, that's the way to boost morale and satisfy the wokesters!

Pretty much underscores an organisation's death spiral; crap on the folks who've been keepng it running by promoting green outsiders over their heads. Typical Blind & Stupid Management indicator.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Agreed, that's a very bad sign. The brass either thinks she won't be around long or they dislike her so much they're willing to risk the fallout.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    Well, that's the way to boost morale and satisfy the wokesters!

Pretty much underscores an organisation's death spiral; crap on the folks who've been keepng it running by promoting green outsiders over their heads. Typical Blind & Stupid Management indicator.
    Absolutely right.

Smith is "Acting Chief" until confirmed by the DC Council. Hearings to be scheduled for sometime this Fall.

WaPo got ten people to talk.... That's insane.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    Agreed, that's a very bad sign. The brass either thinks she won't be around long or they dislike her so much they're willing to risk the fallout.
    Given the number of people that WaPo got to talk here, it's a pretty substantial portion of people in her orbit. Maybe it's my short memory, but I don't recall ever seeing something like this happen before.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    But this is listening AND walking.... It hasn't been tried before.

giphy.gif
    AND walking. That's the ticket!

Flashback; 1994.

What's old is new again. And again, and again...

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    AND walking. That's the ticket!

Flashback; 1994.

What's old is new again. And again, and again...

The walking will make a difference. People will get their steps in.

Inflation is making history repeat itself more quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom