• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dodahdude

Ultimate Member
    Oct 3, 2009
    Andover, Kansas
    OK. I have read about everything you can read about AR's. I just now jumped in to the AR swimming pool. Of course, no previous knowledge... Below is what I have just bought locally. Now I need a lower. Should I just get a matching CMMG? Or go for the markings on the side to look cool?

Specs:

* Mil-spec certified 4140 chrome-moly vanadium steel barrel
    * 5.56x45 NATO chamber
    * 1/9 twist
    * 11 degree recessed target crown
    * WASP coated barrel, including The chamber, bore and under the FSB
    * A2 Flash hider installed with crush washer
    * M4 Single heat shield Handguard
    * Forged M4 upper receiver is T marked and has M4 feed ramp cuts
    * Semi Auto bolt carrier
    * Mil-spec .250 diameter take-down pins

Each barrel is individually magnetic particle tested. Barrel is engraved CMMG WASP MPC 5.56 NATO 1/9.

Sev

"Vern"
    Mar 18, 2010
    formerly silver spring
    OK. I have read about everything you can read about AR's. I just now jumped in to the AR swimming pool. Of course, no previous knowledge... Below is what I have just bought locally. Now I need a lower. Should I just get a matching CMMG? Or go for the markings on the side to look cool?

Specs:

* Mil-spec certified 4140 chrome-moly vanadium steel barrel
    * 5.56x45 NATO chamber
    * 1/9 twist
    * 11 degree recessed target crown
    * WASP coated barrel, including The chamber, bore and under the FSB
    * A2 Flash hider installed with crush washer
    * M4 Single heat shield Handguard
    * Forged M4 upper receiver is T marked and has M4 feed ramp cuts
    * Semi Auto bolt carrier
    * Mil-spec .250 diameter take-down pins

Each barrel is individually magnetic particle tested. Barrel is engraved CMMG WASP MPC 5.56 NATO 1/9.

the lower brand isn't important. It's what's INSIDE the lower (aka the lower parts kit) that's important.

If you want a stripped lower, it's almost take your pick. Just make sure the parts you put inside are a good quality. Off the top of my head id go for rock river, spikes, colt, etc

Dodahdude

Ultimate Member
    Oct 3, 2009
    Andover, Kansas
    Thanks. Right now I do not have the time to do a build. I would like to find something that is already put together. The internal "Heads up" was a good call. Thanks.

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    What sev said. Exactly. What's inside is more important than what's on the outside. Just make sure the outside is good quality. A lot of different brands use the same manufacturer to make each lower to their own specs. The brand put their own markings on it and sell it for their own. You can go wrong with cmmg or spikes or stag. Just get a good trigger and quality lpk. You'll be good to go

Dodahdude

Ultimate Member
    Oct 3, 2009
    Andover, Kansas
    I see where there are different type of triggers. Different stage. Having never pulled a AR trigger, what would be a good smooth, comfortable kit? And thank you...

FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    how much time does it take to put in a lower build kit?? took me less than an hour my first time. the one i'm doing this week will have a 2 stage trigger and kns pins. you should get a stripped lower, i think there was an LRB in the classifieds here for $60 and then put in a nice parts kit to go along with your upper.

Dodahdude

Ultimate Member
    Oct 3, 2009
    Andover, Kansas
    Just got back home from a six month business trip. Been cleaning up from my son being here with his girl friend. Alone... Now the Christmas stuff. Lights, tree, outside stuff, cold... Work is requiring ten hour days seven days a week. Drove 3,000 miles from Seattle to Wichita. Kind of tired lately.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Personally I'd just get the matching CMMG lower and upgrade later if you don't like the trigger. If you aren't into Ar's and building them is half the fun, then just keep the whole rifle CMMG.

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    I just built 2 lowers on friday am! I had Bill Springfield tweek the Dan Defense triggers to 3# and they are supper,Turnaround time from me to Bill and back was six days.These are the from the October Buy.Waiting for the Two Uppers (Spike's) from JoebobOutFitters and a couple RR Match triggers to retro into the last Buy that we did in April!

wjt1169

Bootknife...let us know how you 3# Bill Springfield trigger is after a few thousand rounds.

Dodahdude...my advice would be to by a standard complete mil-spec lower from a reputable company. Shoot and learn the AR platform with that for while, then decide what "upgrades" you want to make.

Dodahdude

Ultimate Member
    Oct 3, 2009
    Andover, Kansas
    Makes since. This is my first AR. Lots of questions. My use will be for range and linking for now. So the two stag is out. I'm not slowly squeezing the trigger for accuracy or competition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom