• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    How so, if it particularly exempts those that are against owning a firearm because of personal or religious beliefs?

What about religions that REQUIRE gun ownership and 24/365 carry everywhere?

(I'm starting that religion :innocent0)

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I think there is a Sheik (spelling) that is suing in Kali since his religion requires him to defend himself and others and the Kali law keeps him from doing that.

As for the maggot in GA who let them file this suit on their behalf. I hope it becomes public knowledge just how much their little town may have to spend due to this lone moron. Then, I hope he/she/it is treated accordingly.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    To be fair, this is unconstitutional. You can’t force someone to buy a product. Obamacare only made it through the court because it got labeled as a tax and not as a mandate to purchase health insurance.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    To be fair, this is unconstitutional. You can’t force someone to buy a product. Obamacare only made it through the court because it got labeled as a tax and not as a mandate to purchase health insurance.

Please tell me that was tongue in cheek, or did you not read the article?

Troublesbrewin

Handgunner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 17, 2013
    Ellicott City
    If the so called plaintiff was truly against the new law why did he choose a .45 caliber 1911?

He could have purchased a black powder single shot rifle for considerably less money and functionality. His actions don't support his objections.

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Sikhs

I think there is a Sheik (spelling) that is suing in Kali since his religion requires him to defend himself and others and the Kali law keeps him from doing that.

The word you're looking for is "Sikh." Sikhism is the 4th large monotheistic religion, but it's little known here in the US.

There's a mandate that Sikhs are required to carry certain things on them, one of them being the "Kirpan" - a knife. (Some in India carry a machete.) It's meant for defense - the requirement to "defend himself and others" is a large part of why the Kirpan is required...however I've read that it's more like the swords Marines carry - they're more ceremonial than anything.

There's an opinion among some Sihks that the Kirpan is not enough, and that a firearm is more fitting with the reasoning behind carrying it in the first place.

randian

Jan 13, 2012
    There's a mandate that Sikhs are required to carry certain things on them, one of them being the "Kirpan" - a knife.
    But it need not be a full-sized knife. A tiny penknife-sized one satisfies the religious requirement, or so a Sikh told me. That obviously doesn't meet the original purpose of the blade (defense against Muslim invaders), but that's not a problem in the US.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I wish more would push the issue from this way.

The bible has a passage that commands people to not stand by and watch the bloodshed of your neighbor, and it has been written the existence of police do not absolve one of this.

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    But it need not be a full-sized knife. A tiny penknife-sized one satisfies the religious requirement, or so a Sikh told me. That obviously doesn't meet the original purpose of the blade (defense against Muslim invaders), but that's not a problem in the US.

Yeah, it's mostly symbolic these days.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    For the maroons that track this stuff...ok, it is just me, Al Norris and 'Librarian' (IIRC) on Calguns...the Internet Archive Docket for the Brady suit is:
    http://ia801708.us.archive.org/34/i...d.194506/gov.uscourts.gand.194506.docket.html

Justia:
    http://dockets.justia.com/docket/georgia/gandce/2:2013cv00104/194506/

Docket is currently showing the following on PACER:
    Date Filed # Docket Text

05/16/2013 1[RECAP] COMPLAINT filed. Consent form to proceed before U.S. Magistrate and pretrial instructions provided. (Filing fee $400, receipt number 113E-4583050), filed by Brady Center To Prevent Gun Violence. (Attachments: # 1 Exhibit A, # 2 Civil Cover Sheet) (vld) Please visit our website at http://www.gand.uscourts.gov to obtain Pretrial Instructions. (Entered: 05/16/2013)

05/16/2013 2 Certificate of Interested Persons and Corporate Disclosure Statement by Brady Center To Prevent Gun Violence. (vld) (Entered: 05/16/2013)

05/16/2013 3 Letter from Clerk re: LR 83.1 Pro Hac Vice requirements for Rukesh Korde, Jonathan R. Wakely, Daniel E. Valencia of Covington & Burling LLP. Clerk to follow-up by 6/17/2013. (Attachments: # 1 Johathan R. Wakely Letter, # 2 Daniel E. Valencia Letter) (vld) (Entered: 05/16/2013)

05/16/2013 4 Letter from Clerk re: LR 83.1 Pro Hac Vice requirements for Jonathan E. Lowy, Elizabeth Burke, Legal Action Project. Clerk to follow-up by 6/17/2013. (Attachments: # 1 Elizabeth Burke Letter) (vld) (Entered: 05/16/2013)

05/21/2013 5 NOTICE Of Filing Proposed Summonses by Brady Center To Prevent Gun Violence re 1[RECAP] Complaint, Summons - City of Nelson (Attachments: # 1 Summons - Cronic, # 2 Summons - Jarrett, # 3 Summons - Portillo, # 4 Summons - Tipton, # 5 Summons - Bishop)(Canfield, Peter) (Entered: 05/21/2013)

05/21/2013 6 Electronic Summons Issued as to All Defendants. (Attachments: # 1 Summons for Duane Cronic, # 2 Summons for Edith Portillo, # 3 Summons for Jackie Jarrett, # 4 Summons for Jonathan Bishop, # 5 Summons for Martha Tipton)(vld) (Entered: 05/21/2013)

Al Norris

Spud Head
    Dec 1, 2010
    Rupert, Idaho
    There were a few people, over at The High Road, that simply refused to believe that the Brady Bunch had gone and done this. So I searched, found it and recapped the docket and the complaint. I doubt I will do much more with this case.

It (the complaint) is notable for a couple of glaring deficiencies. Over and above all else, this lawsuit will not survive the challenge to standing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom