• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kookymonstir

Feb 8, 2011
    St. Leonard Md
    My first gun was a Mossberg 500 12 gauge when I was 11. (I was and am still a big kid) That was back in 1978. It was primarily for hunting. I had to learn to overcome the flinch and deal with the recoil. I still have it (of course) and use it regularly. That being said, I like 20 gauges for a kid's first shotgun. I have a 10, 11 and 13 y.o. They all handle it fine. I'm not sure a .410 is all that useful a gun other than maybe small game hunting.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I bought my son a .22 to start with but if you say he is a strong 10 yr old , he might get away with a 20 gauge. Maybe ask around and see if anyone can let him shoot both to try out the kick

Rebelwon

Jul 10, 2013
    Woodstock, MD (HoCo)
    My first at about that age was a 20 ga Remington 1100 LT. I still have it and love it. I would stay away from a 410 for the reasons others have stated - it is a tough gun to use successfully, and a young shooter could quickly become frustrated and disappointed.

newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    I would take it one step further, If you buy a .22, buy a single shot for his first gun. It will teach him to slow down and there is much less of a chance that he will have an accident. I suggest looking into a henry mini-bolt. He will dislike that its not tactical or semi auto but, The point is to teach and train. When YOU feel he is ready move him up.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I bought my son a .22 to start with but if you say he is a strong 10 yr old , he might get away with a 20 gauge. Maybe ask around and see if anyone can let him shoot both to try out the kick

The offer has already been made. I have several options available.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I would take it one step further, If you buy a .22, buy a single shot for his first gun. It will teach him to slow down and there is much less of a chance that he will have an accident. I suggest looking into a henry mini-bolt. He will dislike that its not tactical or semi auto but, The point is to teach and train. When YOU feel he is ready move him up.

While I like to teach with a single shot I wouldn't suggest a Henry mini bolt. The mini bolt is very small and a 10 year old is likely to big to use it. The mini bolt has a cocking knob that must be pulled back for each shot and can not be unlocked without pulling the trigger. A better option in a 22lr bolt action is the Savage MKII FVT it is magazine feed but is easily used as a single shot. The bolt clocks on opening.

sockgirl77

Pervinerdi
    Mar 5, 2013
    St. Mary's County.
    Thank you for all the suggestions. He passed his Hunters Safety course and will be getting a 20 gauge. He shot one yesterday and did well with it. I have discussed it at great lengths with the gun guys in my family and a few friends. He's ready. I guess I'm ready now too. :clap:

As far as the BB gun suggestion, he's been shooting a BB/Pellet guns for the past 2 years. He's sooooooooo over that. :rolleyes:

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    Firearms are like tractors-you buy what you think you need but then find out it's not big enough to do the job. The 20 ga can be used for target shooting, traps, sporting clays, hunting and self defense. Not to say the .410 can't but how fast is he going want something with more punch. Chris

Duck

Apr 11, 2012
    Baltimore
    My first firearm was a Noble single shot 22. It has manual cocking, pull the knob back and its ready to fire,lift the bolt and its disengaged. My first shotgun 20 ga. Single shot brake open,load close and XOXO the hammer it was made by Harrison's and Richards. That gun put a lot meat on the table. I started my girls with a Ruger 10/22 but they were older. If its going to be for deer hunting go the 20 single shot with a improved cylinder or slug barrel. Improved cylinder would have more versitality. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom