• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    I too would love to try out a Savage Bolt in 20 gauge. My H&R Ultra Slug 20 gauge, however, has served me very well over the years.

My H&R is extremely accurate with Lightfield slugs. I can print clover leafs at 100 yards if I do my part. I have no issue taking deer out to 150 yards with this gun.

A couple have mentioned follow-up shots. With practice, and a shell holder on the stock, the H&R is plenty quick to reload. Just this past season I had 4 does and a buck get jumped by another hunter and run my direction. With my single shot I got off 4 shots and dropped 3 of the 5 (including the big 8 that was in the rear). I can shoot my H&R as fast, while being accurate, as my hunting buddy can his 870 12 gauge.

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    I too would love to try out a Savage Bolt in 20 gauge. My H&R Ultra Slug 20 gauge, however, has served me very well over the years.

My H&R is extremely accurate with Lightfield slugs. I can print clover leafs at 100 yards if I do my part. I have no issue taking deer out to 150 yards with this gun.

A couple have mentioned follow-up shots. With practice, and a shell holder on the stock, the H&R is plenty quick to reload. Just this past season I had 4 does and a buck get jumped by another hunter and run my direction. With my single shot I got off 4 shots and dropped 3 of the 5 (including the big 8 that was in the rear). I can shoot my H&R as fast, while being accurate, as my hunting buddy can his 870 12 gauge.

Wow..nice shooting.

The last time I fired at running deer with my 11-87. I killed two trees and wounded a shrub.

But one of the tree's had a ton of points!:D

Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    Wow..nice shooting.

The last time I fired at running deer with my 11-87. I killed two trees and wounded a shrub.

But one of the tree's had a ton of points!:D

My first shot missed...two took off but the rest stopped to figure out what was going on on. I got the next shot off and got the first doe and thought I was done. They just started trotting, not a full out run, so I shot the next big doe. I was going to stop there, but it wasn't until I shot the second doe that I even saw the buck and I managed to get off the last shot. All three were on the ground within a hundred feet of each other.

They surprised me to be honest. It was about 1 pm and I was readjusting my climber with my gun slung over my should when I heard them coming. In my hasty efforts to get the gun around and twist into position, I have no idea how they didn't see all the movement, but I was up about 30 feet. If I saw them coming, and had time to think about it, I am pretty sure my head would have screwed me up and it would never have happened the way it did.

The first two, which passed me before I started shooting ran right to my buddy, it was the three in the rear that held up. They were hauling a$$ when they got to him. He managed to get one of them. 4 out of 5 is pretty good thought between a pump and a single shot. I think between us we shot 7 times in probably less than 20 seconds...he started shooting after my second shot. My brother who was about 300 yards away said he didn't know what the hell was going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom