• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    Does anyone use/hunt with one of these? If so which one and your thoughts please. I am looking into a dedicated slug gun.
    Thanks

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Lots of people hunt with the savage models, but I have seen ejecting issues with those. I wouldn't buy one, they might be accurate, but good luck with that second shot if need be from what I have seen. Have you considered an H&R or 870 super slug?

I love my 870 SS with Leupold VXII 3-9

deer gun 870.jpg

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    I have a Savage 220F. I like it - it's light, accurate, relatively inexpensive and I really like the 20ga slugs over 12ga from my 870, plus it has the Accutrigger. I got it in the fall and used it for deer hunting. It offers a bit more range, maybe 50 yds, than I would be comfortable taking with the 12ga with accuracy.

If you baby the bolt you can have issues with feeding / ejecting, but if you work with the right amount of effort it's fine. The action is not smooth like a rifle.

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    Lots of people hunt with the savage models, but I have seen ejecting issues with those. I wouldn't buy one, they might be accurate, but good luck with that second shot if need be from what I have seen. Have you considered an H&R or 870 super slug?

I love my 870 SS with Leupold VXII 3-9

Can it keep 3-4 inches at a 100 yrds?

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    I have a Savage 220F. I like it - it's light, accurate, relatively inexpensive and I really like the 20ga slugs over 12ga from my 870, plus it has the Accutrigger. I got it in the fall and used it for deer hunting. It offers a bit more range, maybe 50 yds, than I would be comfortable taking with the 12ga with accuracy.

If you baby the bolt you can have issues with feeding / ejecting, but if you work with the right amount of effort it's fine. The action is not smooth like a rifle.

What kind of group do you get with the Savage?

why 20 instead of 12?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    SAVAGE Bolt Shotgun is the most accurate mass produced Slug Gun you can buy.

3" groups at 100 is a bad group on a Savage Bolt Shotgun.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    SAVAGE Bolt Shotgun is the most accurate mass produced Slug Gun you can buy.

3" groups at 100 is a bad group on a Savage Bolt Shotgun.

The man speaks the truth...

I have been getting reports from customers of the 20ga shooting 2 inch groups at 150 yards.
    Yes they are more expensive than the H&R with comparable accuracy, but I don't want to carry a car axle through the woods and like the adjustable trigger.
    If you need follow up shots get better glass and go practice.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    This thread needs some snobbery.
    Get a Tar-Hunt everything else is crap.

Reference user title

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    This thread needs some snobbery.
    Get a Tar-Hunt everything else is crap.

Reference user title

Granted you may be correct, but given the price of your gun...
    Do you have any idea how many Savage 220s, how much ammo, and how many whores I could buy for the money I would spend on just 1 Tar-Hunt????
    Use your head man..

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    The man speaks the truth...

I have been getting reports from customers of the 20ga shooting 2 inch groups at 150 yards.
    Yes they are more expensive than the H&R with comparable accuracy, but I don't want to carry a car axle through the woods and like the adjustable trigger.
    If you need follow up shots get better glass and go practice.

Ahh a follow up shot basher. I guess you get the perfect opportunity every time? Deer move, paper doesn't. I have never found a single hunter that at least once didn't need a follow up shot. Things can happen in the woods, I like being able to add a follow up shot on the same deer or another, but that's just me.

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    What kind of group do you get with the Savage?

why 20 instead of 12?

I picked up the Savage 220F based on reviews I read when I went looking for a new slug gun. I had been shooting a 870 with a rifled slug barrel for 15 yrs and wanted something new. The Savage was designed as a rifle and to use sabot ammo. 20ga sabots shoot flatter and reach a bit farther than 12ga. Groups with Winchester premium ammo were 1.5 at 100 yds...that was my first time sighting it in and using the shotgun with a new scope. I didn't have enough ammo to get any better, 20ga sabots were hell to find last year, probably due to the popularity of this gun. I hope to tighten that up with some Remington Accutips. It's not a multipurpose shotgun, it's made to kill deer. 2 friends of mine bought the 220F after shooting mine.

Read some reviews online and then go check one out.

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    I picked up the Savage 220F based on reviews I read when I went looking for a new slug gun. I had been shooting a 870 with a rifled slug barrel for 15 yrs and wanted something new. The Savage was designed as a rifle and to use sabot ammo. 20ga sabots shoot flatter and reach a bit farther than 12ga. Groups with Winchester premium ammo were 1.5 at 100 yds...that was my first time sighting it in and using the shotgun with a new scope. I didn't have enough ammo to get any better, 20ga sabots were hell to find last year, probably due to the popularity of this gun. I hope to tighten that up with some Remington Accutips. It's not a multipurpose shotgun, it's made to kill deer. 2 friends of mine bought the 220F after shooting mine.

Read some reviews online and then go check one out.

I really appreciate yours and others feed back. I am leaning towards a 12 partially due to what you mentioned.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    Ahh a follow up shot basher. I guess you get the perfect opportunity every time? Deer move, paper doesn't. I have never found a single hunter that at least once didn't need a follow up shot. Things can happen in the woods, I like being able to add a follow up shot on the same deer or another, but that's just me.

Now you know better than that...
    I love the ability for follow up shots. That's why I hunt with a LR308.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom