• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    You'll hear equally dumb things at gun shops, gun shows, and a gun range.

If you think that's odd just think of the two training companies here who will gladly take your money for NRA Outside the Home Protection class but will vote against someone's CCW.

Some of the dumbest things I've heard over the years came from people behind the counter.

Yeah, but those people aren't required by law to know the law and teach it.

HQL instructors are.

There are a lot of HQL instructors mis-informing students. I'd guess at least 30%, maybe 50%.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I sent in a qualification with my QHI application, thought you had to.

These classes are not regulated or checked in. I know for a fact some instructors have been discovered to be doing the wrong things, counting hours of training not given, and fudging qualifications for permits. This whole set up is not good for many reasons, but the lack of regulation of classes opens up the window for dishonest people.

I was lucky at my NRA instructor course, out of the 25 in the class only one or two seemed incapable. Not sure if it would have made a difference though. I have been in training classes in which, if I was the head instructor, I would have sent some students home and told them to get some basic training.

Yes some instructors seem to just be in this to make money, and without a state wide curriculum for all instructors and no overseeing it will continue. So many ways to fix it, but no one to listen.

These classes and instructors need to be outed as said above. It makes us all look bad. Wonder what will happen when someone gets in trouble due to knowledge they got from a class like this.

TD

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I sent in a qualification with my QHI application, thought you had to.

These classes are not regulated or checked in. I know for a fact some instructors have been discovered to be doing the wrong things, counting hours of training not given, and fudging qualifications for permits. This whole set up is not good for many reasons, but the lack of regulation of classes opens up the window for dishonest people.

I was lucky at my NRA instructor course, out of the 25 in the class only one or two seemed incapable. Not sure if it would have made a difference though. I have been in training classes in which, if I was the head instructor, I would have sent some students home and told them to get some basic training.

Yes some instructors seem to just be in this to make money, and without a state wide curriculum for all instructors and no overseeing it will continue. So many ways to fix it, but no one to listen.

These classes and instructors need to be outed as said above. It makes us all look bad. Wonder what will happen when someone gets in trouble due to knowledge they got from a class like this.

TD
    I would never want an incompetent instructor but I would also NEVER want MSP to further regulate anything.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I would never want an incompetent instructor but I would also NEVER want MSP to further regulate anything.

I agree, but............

Somebody has to keep an eye on things or they go unnoticed.

TD

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    When I took the HQL class we were told the exact same thing about DC letters. Something to the effect of, wherever you are transporting guns can be considered a "show" because you're a collector...

The ccw thing is ridiculous though :sad20:

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Yeah, but those people aren't required by law to know the law and teach it.

HQL instructors are.

There are a lot of HQL instructors mis-informing students. I'd guess at least 30%, maybe 50%.

The issue being.. Some think they are lawyers too.

The group/club I belong. We teach the course. We read the MD firearms law as written. We tell students that we are not lawyers and we don't interpret the laws.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Some of the dumbest things I've heard over the years came from people behind the counter.

I wonder what some of the people behind the counter would have to say... :innocent0 Oh never mind I don't really want to start THAT discussion again. :D

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    :shocked:
    You'll hear equally dumb things at gun shops, gun shows, and a gun range.

If you think that's odd just think of the two training companies here who will gladly take your money for NRA Outside the Home Protection class but will vote against someone's CCW.

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    I didn't read through the entire thread, so this might be covered.

I have guys coming in giving us cards saying they are now NRA and/or HQL instructors. Many of them bought their first gun from us a couple years ago (Oct 2013 rush). I can't imagine them training anyone.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    My friend just took the HQL course last Saturday taught by a retired LEO and I couldn't stop laughing at the stuff this individual was rambling about in his class.

"Without this class, I guarantee at least half of you would shoot someone accidentally at some point in your life time."

That had me almost in tears. Apparently she vomited a lot of other overly dramatic garbage as well throughout the 4 hours of the class. He also told me the different things she demonstrated to the class and many of them were incorrect.

He said he felt he learned a lot and wants to take more classes at this shop. I told him he's doomed. He paid far too much for misinformation, it definitely wasn't WORTH the money spent.

Apr 9, 2013
    It's not the instructors job to tell you what he or she thinks. Opinions mean nothing. The instructors should present the information for the given class. Period. The instructors I know in Fairfax are top notch. Dave K. is excellent.

Apr 9, 2013
    I didn't read through the entire thread, so this might be covered.

I have guys coming in giving us cards saying they are now NRA and/or HQL instructors. Many of them bought their first gun from us a couple years ago (Oct 2013 rush). I can't imagine them training anyone.
    Fast learners

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It's not the instructors job to tell you what he or she thinks. Opinions mean nothing. The instructors should present the information for the given class. Period. The instructors I know in Fairfax are top notch. Dave K. is excellent.

IMO, instructors MAY add their opinions, but they should be clearly stated as THEIR OPINION.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom