• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Some decision has to be made by the end of the day on Monday, right?

No...committee votes are at the discretion of the individual committee chairs. The only thing that has to happen is that all bills introduced before the introduction deadlines must be given a hearing at some point. Other than that, it is all in the air.

Mr H

Banana'd
    We'll see a number of bills simply die.

But, much like last year, we will have stymied them (on balance).

If we get bills voted on?? Even if the bills fail, that's a [minor] win, because we will have forced their hand that little bit more.

The GA knows we're here and not going away. We keep it up, and the surrounding states keep up the pressure, then America will, shortly, overflow into Maryland.

The tortoise had it right.

MrNiceGuy

Dec 9, 2013
    We'll see a number of bills simply die.

But, much like last year, we will have stymied them (on balance).

If we get bills voted on?? Even if the bills fail, that's a [minor] win, because we will have forced their hand that little bit more.

The GA knows we're here and not going away. We keep it up, and the surrounding states keep up the pressure, then America will, shortly, overflow into Maryland.

The tortoise had it right.

Understanding that it's an uphill battle, have there been any previous attempts to stand up a primary or general election challenger to the chairmen who keep desk-drawering these bills?

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    The only bills that seem sure to pass so far IMO are Dumais's bill on the definition of handguns and the Armored truck driver background check bill.

Once again though -- and this should be considered a huge positive when we have a very liberal legislature -- no overtly anti-bills went anywhere.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Understanding that it's an uphill battle, have there been any previous attempts to stand up a primary or general election challenger to the chairmen who keep desk-drawering these bills?

Great thought. Seriously.

We're a total of 2 years into the electoral thing, really, and this is something I'd love to see (eventually).

Problem is, we're on a 4-year cycle. So, unless someone can come up with enough dirt to force resignations, we're left waiting.

That said...... In the JUD, Vallario is far less of a problem than Dumais. If he goes out, she screws us with a bristle brush. In JPR, we're sorta learning a new Chairman. But, the Vice-Chair is known to be against us, so......

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Frosh is gone of his own accord, and this was Zirkin's first year as committee Chair.

If we work to unseat Vallario in the House and succeed, then we also have to do the same thing at the same time to Dumais, as she is far worse that Vallario.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    as the 4 year cycle might seem bad it actually might work for us.
    If there is a candidate that is on our side , have them pull a Hogan :) . Districts aren't big so that works for us . We must start now though. We must use their votes or in the case of Zirkin if he fails to bring up the domestic abuse bill we use that , ie XX number of DA victims since he failed to pass a law to protect them. We use their playbook , tell something loud and long enough it will become a "fact"

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012

abevet101

Nov 22, 2013
    Lusby, MD
    We must use their votes or in the case of Zirkin if he fails to bring up the domestic abuse bill we use that , ie XX number of DA victims since he failed to pass a law to protect them. We use their playbook , tell something loud and long enough it will become a "fact"

I "get it" with this and other arguments as to why we should have rights recognized. I suppose the "because it is a right you're denying us" argument just will not fly in Maryland.

I just don't like the "why do you need a gun" question. I don't need data on crime and reduction of it where guns are present. It's irrelevant. Because it's a RIGHT! Period.

Rant over.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    If there is a candidate that is on our side , have them pull a Hogan :) . Districts aren't big so that works for us . We must start now though. We must use their votes or in the case of Zirkin if he fails to bring up the domestic abuse bill we use that , ie XX number of DA victims since he failed to pass a law to protect them. We use their playbook , tell something loud and long enough it will become a "fact"

This...

We did "OK" with a short time window of a year and a half to make some headway.

We need to keep working and use the entire 4 year cycle to our advantage, any advantage, no matter how small.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012

We had a great person in office on our side - Smigiel. As I recall, you were speaking out again him in another thread. That was while he was running for election

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    We had a great person in office on our side - Smigiel. As I recall, you were speaking out again him in another thread. That was while he was running for election

Yes that is I . In Cecil County you won't get elected if you are anti gun (Senator Norman covers part of Cecil ) . This idea helps against the Anti's

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yes that is I . In Cecil County you won't get elected if you are anti gun (Senator Norman covers part of Cecil ) . This idea helps against the Anti's

So I do agree on the whole marketing thing, 4 year cycle, etc.. My preference would be to keep the officials on our side in office while we focus energy on the close elections where we can gain some seats.
    Anyway, maybe we can take the whole strategy discussion over to another thread. I recall having a few of those threads around, and will see what I can dig up

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    So I do agree on the whole marketing thing, 4 year cycle, etc.. My preference would be to keep the officials on our side in office while we focus energy on the close elections where we can gain some seats.
    Anyway, maybe we can take the whole strategy discussion over to another thread. I recall having a few of those threads around, and will see what I can dig up

Agreed.

MrNiceGuy

Dec 9, 2013
    Frosh is gone of his own accord, and this was Zirkin's first year as committee Chair.

If we work to unseat Vallario in the House and succeed, then we also have to do the same thing at the same time to Dumais, as she is far worse that Vallario.

yep.....she absolutely is far worse.

So then we go after Dumais and Gladden. Gladden's last election was against a man who was wanted in Texas for felony charges (http://articles.baltimoresun.com/20...tment-20140617_1_hanna-checks-senate-district).

Since beating them with the other party seems unlikely, run a Democrat who can come at them from the center or from the left. Doesn't matter if they're replaced by someone just as bad as they are since they're already 100% against us; sending the message is what's important. They go down in the next election (or even get very close) and the chairmen should take notice.

The fact that the next cycle is a few years off is a good thing, since this would take time anyway. These people only care about one thing: re-election. Make them believe you can take that from them and they'll get out of the way.

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County

Don't forget we had that idiot closet anti Rudolph before re-districting. Senator Norman is great, and Rudolph lost to Kevin Hornberger (thank God) who is also pro 2A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    So then we go after Dumais and Gladden. Gladden's last election was against a man who was wanted in Texas for felony charges (http://articles.baltimoresun.com/20...tment-20140617_1_hanna-checks-senate-district).

Since beating them with the other party seems unlikely, run a Democrat who can come at them from the center or from the left. Doesn't matter if they're replaced by someone just as bad as they are since they're already 100% against us; sending the message is what's important. They go down in the next election (or even get very close) and the chairmen should take notice.

The fact that the next cycle is a few years off is a good thing, since this would take time anyway. These people only care about one thing: re-election. Make them believe you can take that from them and they'll get out of the way.

And a defeat will upset the apple cart in the committee membership. Get Dumais unseated, then someone else gets the vice chair spot. If it is made know after the fact that she was defeated specifically for her anti 2a stance, the next guy in that char may think twice about what they will do when/if they get the chairmanship.

From a practical perspective, the individual GA member doesn't have much to say as to what gets to the floor. All the power is in the committee structure. Upset the apple cart of just a few of the power players, and I would think there would be some positive changes.

That said, the majority of the attention for each election should be to keep the good guys there, and then focus on just a couple of the bad apples in key positions and go for broke to unseat them. Given the area they are from, it would have to be a Dem and it really doesn't matter what their position is, just upset the committee structure. The new guy on the block will be so far down the pecking order within the party, his committee assignment won't matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom