• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    this will probably be my last update: all guns are transferred legally through a local FFL dealer. There will be no new charges given and no further investigation on this incident.

He will be from here on out treated as a felon when it comes to guns, he cannot posses any gun including shotguns

also he was told by the investigator that they will also be looking at all juvenile records for crimes that could have been a felony/violent and on a case by case basis restricting the rights of those people also

there is a little more to the story and the appeals process has begun

Last edited:

DraKhen99

Professional Heckler
    Sep 30, 2013
    this will probably be my last update all guns are transferred legally three local FFL dealer there will be no new charges on and no further investigation he will be used from here on out treated as a felon when it comes to gunsalso he was told by the investigator that they will also be looking at crimes that happen while you were given all that could have been a felony And on a case by case basis restricting the rights of those people also

there is a lot more to the story and the appeals process has begun

OK, that first paragraph is just confusing.

1. Are you saying he's now a felon? Or are they just treating him like one?

2. What other things are they investigating, or is this about investigating other people?

Either way, that sucks.

-John

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    OK, that first paragraph is just confusing.

What paragraph? It looks like a string of words.

Seriously folks, take a few extra seconds to organize words into sentences and use punctuation. If you are trying to communicate your thoughts, it helps if you are clear in what you are saying.

Sometimes I feel like I'm reading the Dead Sea Scrolls.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    Has the law related to juvenile records changed since SB281? If it did, I missed it. Prior to SB281, juvenile records were disqualifying until age 30, at which time they became null and void for regulated firearms purchases. A crime/deliquency would disqualify someone between 21 and 29, but not 42. The OP mentioned his BIL was 42 years old.

What you are referring to pertains to certain juvenile criminal charges, and the new law did not change that. But the Original Post suggests that the brother-in-law was involuntarily committed to a certain psychiatric hospital. This would create fall under one of the many new firearms disqualifications created by SB 281, summarized in numbered paragraph no. 18 in this summary of the new law:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=114585

There is no age limit or expiration date on any of these new disqualifications. In theory, such a disqualification can be removed by the State Department of Health and Mental Hygiene through an elaborate process spelled out in the new law. I believe that the Department has not even proposed regulations yet to implement that section of the law.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Possession equates to ownership or title so the BIL still possesses the firearms even though he has given them to a third party.

I own stock in numerous companies, however, I do not have the stock certificates in my possession, a third party holds them/possesses them.

Why would weapons be any different?

henn5849

Aug 29, 2009
    Cecil County, MD
    What you are referring to pertains to certain juvenile criminal charges, and the new law did not change that. But the Original Post suggests that the brother-in-law was involuntarily committed to a certain psychiatric hospital. This would create fall under one of the many new firearms disqualifications created by SB 281, summarized in numbered paragraph no. 18 in this summary of the new law: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=114585 There is no age limit or expiration date on any of these new disqualifications. In theory, such a disqualification can be removed by the State Department of Health and Mental Hygiene through an elaborate process spelled out in the new law. I believe that the Department has not even proposed regulations yet to implement that section of the law.
    so he can't own ANY firearms? Or just regulated ones?

RedWolf762

Jan 18, 2013
    Freedom
    So, because of 281, anyone who has anything in their juvenile records/history may want to hire council to examine if the aforementioned records may disqualify them?

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    I own stock in numerous companies, however, I do not have the stock certificates in my possession, a third party holds them/possesses them.

Why would weapons be any different?

There is no difference. If you own something, you possess it, regardless of where the item is physically located. Possession means to own, control, possess or have title to an object.

Last edited:

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    this will probably be my last update: all guns are transferred legally through a local FFL dealer. There will be no new charges given and no further investigation on this incident.

He will be from here on out treated as a felon when it comes to guns, he cannot posses any gun including shotguns

also he was told by the investigator that they will also be looking at all juvenile records for crimes that could have been a felony/violent and on a case by case basis restricting the rights of those people also

I was on my phone for the earlier post so I cleaned it up for you

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD

I was on my phone for the earlier post so I cleaned it up for you

Still not clear to me.

Marylandfisherman

Self Aware
    Nov 10, 2011
    WTF does this mean. "Hi, we're just here to look around"???

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    Update: He went to his hearing today, supposedly the 1st one for the state, He had a letter from a shrink saying he was sane, had 2 character witnesses, and didn't take a lawyer. They found in his favor and reinstated his gun rights. He will be able to even get his AK back but I am not sure about the lower that started this mess.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom