• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lseries

Dec 11, 2011
    I had the same experience as you. I found progressives definitely not ready for prime time. However, I'm near sighted, so I can see just fine to read without glasses. In fact, I'm not wearing glasses as I sit at the computer and type this.

I found that a dedicated set of intermediate distance glasses works best for me when shooting. Nowadays people like to refer to these as computer glasses; I think of them as my music reading glasses, since that was the purpose for which they were bought. I'd really suggest giving these a try. They let me focus clearly on the front sights, and I can otherwise see what I need to at the range.

BTW, when I last had to renew my driver's license, I tried the eye test with my music reading glasses, and I was legal to drive with them! I would use my regular distance prescription except in some kind of emergency, but it was nice to know that I could drive with the other pair if I really needed to.

YMMV even more than usual, of course.

Jack Ryan

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    People’s Republic of Maryland
    Progressives glasses work for me, and they work for me well at the range. I bought a two for one deal at Doctors Vision in Towsontown Center. I have one pair that is clear, and one pair that darkens with the sun. I wear the ones that darken all the time, they work great. The clear ones, I just keep as a spare.

i was so impressed with the Progressive glases I bought the Progressive contacts, they did not work for me at all: not a good reading lens, and not a good distance lens. I gave up on them.

Well, I'm 73 and wear Bi-Focs all the time.
    But I wanted "Range" Safety glasses for shooting. So similar to KALISTER1 post above,
    I had my guy make glasses, with normal bi-foc reading lens, but the upper lens was cut to set the Focal point at a happy medium between handgun and rifle. And as KALISTER 1,
    the Targets are a bit out focus (25 and 50 yards), but the sights are spot on.....and that makes the difference. No problems Hunting, only target shooting.
    Kinda like "Computer glasses", but safety lenses and set to a different "focal point"

2cts worth (maybe)
    R

Fyi, I saw the NRA Store has shooting glasses that go over your Rx glasses, thinking about getting a pair. Anyone have them, how are they?

Here is a link to them:

http://www.nrastore.com/nrastore/ProductDetail.aspx?c=18&p=SA 446

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    My vision is about half as goopd as when I was young. But I started with 20/15 . Have the same accuity at ( mumble ) as I did at 30 , they just fatigue faster.

When I read about CVS ( Computer Vision Syndrom ) , I realized I had that specifically. Turns out that I have slight astigmatism that I never notice ion real life , but the dots on a screen set them up for constant refocousing , and rapid fatigue.

The eye DR set me up a pair with mild close correction, and astigmatism correction. In a darkened Ofc they were the greatest thing since sliced bread. But in the real world it was another thing.

For my adult life I have practiced situational awareness , and subconcious scanning . The quick scan of my surroundings was 10x as bad as the 'puter eyestrain trying to fix.

Spent about 30sec contemplating the relative merits of trying to untrain myself from decades of scanning. Did I really want to give myself tunnel vision , and live in condition White ? Nah , situational awareness is more important. Decided I would never consider glasses until I'm being fit with a seeing eye dog harness.

Since my Eye Dr says I have the eyes of someone half my age, hopefully they will outlive the rest of me.

mr phil

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2007
    beach
    I'm nearsighted, so I have to wear glasses for seeing clearly at a distance. But now that I'm pushing 50, I can't focus up-close unless I take off my glasses.

I tried progressive lenses a couple of years ago, and hated them passionately (distorted, dizzying effect). Trying to shoot with them was just horrible, either with a scope or with iron sights. I went back to single-vision lenses, but taking them off all the time to see/work/read up close is a PITA.

Has anyone had a similar experience, and did you try going with bifocals instead? Or is there any other type of lens that works better, especially WRT shooting?

So this is how my eyes are. Am I sensing that the progressives are the best solution ?

straightsilver3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 2, 2011
    everywhere
    I had the same problem as you with progressive lenses, but my visual problem is a little different. I can still see OK at a distance, but I have problems closeup and with things a few feet away. My doc tried giving me progressive lenses with the lower part for reading and the upper for things like looking at my computer screen 2-3 feet away. The transition made me crazy. So now I just use reading glasses only, and put up with the slight blurriness of things that are arms-length away. If it gets worse, I guess I'll try bifocals.
    I have this same problem I wear Bi focals Up close I can't see without them Now I have a little problem seeing at distance As for shooting it's hard using Bi focals to get my aim right with irons so my solution has become the Red Dot sight I'm not a big fan of them I always like irons but I can shoot with an RD without glasses Maybe it has something to do with the red light and poor eye sight

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom