• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I'm nearsighted, so I have to wear glasses for seeing clearly at a distance. But now that I'm pushing 50, I can't focus up-close unless I take off my glasses.

I tried progressive lenses a couple of years ago, and hated them passionately (distorted, dizzying effect). Trying to shoot with them was just horrible, either with a scope or with iron sights. I went back to single-vision lenses, but taking them off all the time to see/work/read up close is a PITA.

Has anyone had a similar experience, and did you try going with bifocals instead? Or is there any other type of lens that works better, especially WRT shooting?

I had the same problem as you with progressive lenses, but my visual problem is a little different. I can still see OK at a distance, but I have problems closeup and with things a few feet away. My doc tried giving me progressive lenses with the lower part for reading and the upper for things like looking at my computer screen 2-3 feet away. The transition made me crazy. So now I just use reading glasses only, and put up with the slight blurriness of things that are arms-length away. If it gets worse, I guess I'll try bifocals.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    I am like you. Nearsighted and age 60. Have been wearing Progressive lenses for a good ten years. Eyes keep getting worse. I had problem adjusting to them. It just takes time. Would not change now. I have a pair of computer glasses that I can use for shooting so I can focus on the front sight. I actually bought them for reading music, but they work for others things, too.

Like I said, I hated them at first. You just need to give it some time.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I went from no glasses to progressives. My distance vision is okay, but close up sucks. Since this is the case, I don't wear my glasses often. Progessives come in manydifferent grades. The more expensive ones eliminate the distortion. I do not shoot with my glasses on because I figure if I ever REALLY need to use my gun, I will not be wearing my glasses.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Me too, Progressive works great for me.
    For Shooting iron sight pistols I had my optometrist measure from my eye to the front sight of the gun I shoot in USPSA, (Great guy, let me bring the pistol in the exam room so HE could get the correct measurement) It came in at 24" for me. Then he used the box to find the correct lens for that distance. I had a pair of safety glasses made with that lens as a Bi-Focal put into the TOP of the right eye lens. So when I tilt my head down just a little the front sight is in perfect focus. Just shoot for the blurry thing in the distance and all works well.
    I have never tried the lined lenses, the ones that are NOT progressive for regular Eye Wear.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Lower-end lenses will do what you describe at higher indexes. It's the funhouse effect. Before you take the progressive or bifocal plunge, ask your eye doc about Zeiss single vision Clarlet AS, http://www.smt.zeiss.com/__4125680f...2ab966edac1256e2f0038cded?OpenDocument&Click=. I am very nearsighted and had the same problem with not being able to focus up close and my eyes taking a split second to catch up if I turned my head quickly. I explained this to my eye doc and he turned my onto Zeiss. They ain't cheap. They are crystal clear. No more funhouse effect. Made a night and day difference for me.

Allium

Senior Keyboard Operator
    Feb 10, 2007
    Hmm creative solutions - Blind in 1 eye very nearsighted in the other and spend hours on the computer. Got bifocals with the reading section lower than normal so in case I really need it I can use it. then got a second pair dialed in that the focal point is 18-24", I can use them if I need to get up and walk around, hafe used them to drive but can't watch TV with them. Progressives have a sweet spot that seems too damn small and I wasnt getting any periferal vision - real essential when only 1 eye works anyway. Get basically job specific sets.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    Me too, Progressive works great for me.
    For Shooting iron sight pistols I had my optometrist measure from my eye to the front sight of the gun I shoot in USPSA, (Great guy, let me bring the pistol in the exam room so HE could get the correct measurement) It came in at 24" for me. Then he used the box to find the correct lens for that distance. I had a pair of safety glasses made with that lens as a Bi-Focal put into the TOP of the right eye lens. So when I tilt my head down just a little the front sight is in perfect focus. Just shoot for the blurry thing in the distance and all works well.
    I have never tried the lined lenses, the ones that are NOT progressive for regular Eye Wear.
    My extra glasses are single vision but with an add factor like reading glasses. I can see the front sight pretty well throughtout the entire lense. The target in the distance is not in focus; but not that bad, really. With my progressives, I would have to tilt my head up to bring the front sight into focus. A pain in the neck, literally. If I need my gun for real (middle of the night), I would put on my regular glasses on. They're right beside my bed all the time. Not going to be sight aiming at that point, anyway.

Atec

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    Maryland
    I'm nearsighted, so I have to wear glasses for seeing clearly at a distance. But now that I'm pushing 50, I can't focus up-close unless I take off my glasses.

I tried progressive lenses a couple of years ago, and hated them passionately (distorted, dizzying effect). Trying to shoot with them was just horrible, either with a scope or with iron sights. I went back to single-vision lenses, but taking them off all the time to see/work/read up close is a PITA.

Has anyone had a similar experience, and did you try going with bifocals instead? Or is there any other type of lens that works better, especially WRT shooting?

I feel your pain ! I am going to watch this thread close !:thumbsup:

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

I used to have perfect vision & then I became 40...

At that point I just needed a reading lens...

Because I worked on the Computer / Drawing Board, I got bifocals with plain clear upper glass lenses...

And then I became 50...

By the time I was 55, I was wearing Obama glasses = progressives...

I have 3 different focal distances, 16" for reading, 28" for computer work & a long distance lens...

I can see OK with my progressive lenses for 10 yard pistol shooting...

For rifle shooting, I use a 14 power scope & take my glasses OFF...

Mostly, I just wish I had younger eyes...

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Like many here I had great eye sight until I was over 40 then my arms got to short to read very well, hit the eye doc and got bi-focals and they were good for everything except shooting I would have to have my head back to see the sights, so I just used reading glasses for shooting. Last year I needed new glasses decided I wanted to get the (drawing a blank on the correct name) that lighten and darken, so I asked the doc about tri-focals and she suggested progressives, so I said I would give it a whirl and she told me if I couldn't adjust they would try the tri-focals. My eye doc is at walmart, when I picked them up I had some shopping to do, for about the first 15 minutes I felt like I had spent too much time at a bar, but by the time I checked out I was good to go. They are great for shooting.

Jack Ryan

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    People’s Republic of Maryland
    Progressives glasses work for me, and they work for me well at the range. I bought a two for one deal at Doctors Vision in Towsontown Center. I have one pair that is clear, and one pair that darkens with the sun. I wear the ones that darken all the time, they work great. The clear ones, I just keep as a spare.

i was so impressed with the Progressive glases I bought the Progressive contacts, they did not work for me at all: not a good reading lens, and not a good distance lens. I gave up on them.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I'm in the same boat as you guys. At 61, my eyes aren't all THAT bad, but not like I was 30 years ago. I wear progressives, but don't like them for shooting. For a long time, the distance to the front sight of most of my pistols was in pretty good focus, so I just wore inexpensive yellow lens shooting glasses. Now I'm thinking about having my eye doctor take a pair of my old frames and turn them into shooting glasses. I was wonder how it would work with a bi-focal in reverse. Have the UPPER portion of the eyeglass set up for the front sight distance and the lower portion set up for distance. Hmmmm... I wonder what would happen if you had your dominant eye set up like that, while your other eye had a lens set up the normal way with the close distance at the bottom and the distance at the top. I wonder if your brain would compensate the make them both in focus with both eyes open. I know some people where only one contact for that effect.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    I'm in the same boat as you guys. At 61, my eyes aren't all THAT bad, but not like I was 30 years ago. I wear progressives, but don't like them for shooting. For a long time, the distance to the front sight of most of my pistols was in pretty good focus, so I just wore inexpensive yellow lens shooting glasses. Now I'm thinking about having my eye doctor take a pair of my old frames and turn them into shooting glasses. I was wonder how it would work with a bi-focal in reverse. Have the UPPER portion of the eyeglass set up for the front sight distance and the lower portion set up for distance. Hmmmm... I wonder what would happen if you had your dominant eye set up like that, while your other eye had a lens set up the normal way with the close distance at the bottom and the distance at the top. I wonder if your brain would compensate the make them both in focus with both eyes open. I know some people where only one contact for that effect.

Read Post #6

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    Well, I'm 73 and wear Bi-Focs all the time.
    But I wanted "Range" Safety glasses for shooting. So similar to KALISTER1 post above,
    I had my guy make glasses, with normal bi-foc reading lens, but the upper lens was cut to set the Focal point at a happy medium between handgun and rifle. And as KALISTER 1,
    the Targets are a bit out focus (25 and 50 yards), but the sights are spot on.....and that makes the difference. No problems Hunting, only target shooting.
    Kinda like "Computer glasses", but safety lenses and set to a different "focal point"

2cts worth (maybe)
    R

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom