• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Squirrel is not very gamey. It’s more flavorful than dark meat chicken, though as mentioned can be a little tougher. Crock pots are good for squirrel. Sous Vide for 12-24 hours can really tenderize it. We also do pot pie.

If you want a traditional American dish, Brunswick stew has traditionally been made with squirrel, among other meats.
    Picking your doctor brain for a moment- since you mention that squirrel is "dark meat" is it high in fat or cholesterol? (I realize that in survival situations that questions goes right out the window.) I guess they wouldn't be high in fat. It's not like they sit around watching TV all day. I'm just curious about the nutrition aspect of squirrel.

You guys talking about squirrel pot pie have really got my brain working. It sounds delicious!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Picking your doctor brain for a moment- since you mention that squirrel is "dark meat" is it high in fat or cholesterol? (I realize that in survival situations that questions goes right out the window.) I guess they wouldn't be high in fat. It's not like they sit around watching TV all day. I'm just curious about the nutrition aspect of squirrel.

You guys talking about squirrel pot pie have really got my brain working. It sounds delicious!
    Squirrel is generally pretty lean. It is high in omega-3 fatty acids due to their diet (eat deez nuts). It is “high” in cholesterol, but omega-3 content likely offsets that. It’s probably one of the best meat choices out there, IMO.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Huh, that's really interesting. I need to take a meat processing class. Something that teaches chickens and small game.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Huh, that's really interesting. I need to take a meat processing class. Something that teaches chickens and small game.
    You can probably find something on Youtube. Anatomically, there are lines between muscles. Some cuts are one muscle, some cuts are groups of muscle. Learning to see and follow the lines is relatively easy. You just need someone to show you a couple of times and you'll do fine. I actually enjoy disassembling animals.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Squirrel pot pie is awesome, probably my favorite method. Also love squirrel casserole, made with a lighter gravy (usually chicken gravy) and elbow macaroni, mushrooms and onions.

VRC Racing

MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2009
    Ijamsville
    f7c6d3b0396d1a8b012285b1fb004729.jpg

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    When I think of eating squirrels. The things that come to mind are that it takes 23 a day to feed o person. And rat traps nailed to trees work great til all the squirrels are gone.
    Oh, and that they're crawling with mites until the frost.

Last edited:

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    When I think of eating squirrels. The things that come to mind are that it takes 23 a day to feed o person. And rat traps nailed to trees work great til all the squirrels are gone.
    Those are some ridiculously malnourished squirrels in you neck of the woods if it's 23 per day to feed one person.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    What is that, about like a chicken wing? Considering 2000 cal. a day.
    img_0176-jpeg.446733
    Those are the hind quarters and lower back (= ~4 chicken wings). General rule of thumb is that one squirrel is one meal for one person. I've found that to be true in my hunting of them. Granted it's not a "1000 lb sisters" definition of a meal.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Those are some ridiculously malnourished squirrels in you neck of the woods if it's 23 per day to feed one person.
    Oh, and that they're crawling with mites until the frost.
    Scout is right. Maybe Kag is thinking of mice.

Sp
    I have no idea what “spatchcocked” is, but it sounds like a health code violation.
    spatchcock is where you spread the animal out flat while still in one piece after removing it's hide and entrails.

I don't use that recipe but the method is the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom