Best value in a Mossberg 500 18.5 hi-cap ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Were I to have my wish, given preference coupled with what I'm most used to, every long gun made would have a tang safety. If your son is used to a 500 tang safety, I wouldn't deviate from it on a defensive shotgun. I would personally opt for another 500, and retain that familiarity.

I shoot 3 different shotguns, all with a safety in different locations. Tang, behind trigger guard, and in front of trigger guard. Fun to switch guns. But more than once, on the comparatively low pressure stakes of a rolling rabbit, I've reached for a safety that isn't there.

To me, with a defensive shotgun in mind? That's a rather sobering fact.
    That's one of the nice things about my Savage guns, they have tang safeties as well. My first long hunting gun I got back in HS was a Mossberg 500c, which I used on deer for a lot of years. Then later, I used the the Moss. 835 Ulti Mag. Next came the Savage 220. All tang safety guns.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    That's one of the nice things about my Savage guns, they have tang safeties as well. My first long hunting gun I got back in HS was a Mossberg 500c, which I used on deer for a lot of years. Then later, I used the the Moss. 835 Ulti Mag. Next came the Savage 220. All tang safety guns.
    Indeed. Another reason I like Savage rifles. They put a safety "where it belongs."

That's not to say that it's the only acceptable safety location. It is to say that wherever they put it, there's a whole lot to be said about user familiarity. And having controls locations be second nature, when there's something to be done, and it needs to be done quickly. It's a concern with using multiple firearms generally, especially with regard to defensive arms. Hell, some safeties are located inside the trigger guard. And a bass ackwards CZ rifle safety operates the opposite of the typical forward to fire mode that most American firearms incorporate.

Purposeful redundancy is a good thing, especially when considering a defensive firearm. There's more than it might seem to think about, and ideally well in advance of having need. Just a few reasons why the greatest safety ever designed is located between the ears.

rmallouh

Nov 17, 2023
    Baltimore
    Bought a Mavrick 88 on Black Friday for 250 OTD… not the best deal but works great… very reliable…500 is a bit better furniture but if budget is important then 88 is good enough

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I like the tang safety, but it also limits grip options due to the manual of arms. My 590 had a pistol grip stock and I had to change it out for a "traditional" stock from Magpul so that I could more easily manipulate the tang safety without taking a hand off the shotgun.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    I would not use a Shotgun for HD (only for CW II ). That said, I do have a Mossberg Maverick 88 18.5" .......just in case CW breaks out. :innocent0

Maverick 88.PNG

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    curious of why a shotty would not be good for HD? (But ok for CW)
    As you stated your son probably won't become proficient with a handgun so if a shotgun works for him, great.

Everyone is different. For me I see HD in different levels. Personally. inside the home 9mm Hollow Points will suffice for me. When "sheet" goes outside beyond my home ( as in CW II ) it's an AR, shotgun, 9mm in that order

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom