Best value in a Mossberg 500 18.5 hi-cap ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    My adult son is looking for a home defense weapon, I talked him into a 12 or 20 shotgun, unless he plans to practice a lot with a pistol.
    He is familiar with my Mossberg shotguns and likes the "On Top" safety vs a rem cross bolt.

1) Is Mossberg the only one with the on top style slide safety?
    2) What is the best budget model M500 style HD shotty ?,, prob a 12ga, he is 6-5 and 225#

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm not a big proponent of shotguns for HD, but struck out on top safety receivers other than Mossberg.
    Shotguns do have a problem with over penetration. If that's not a problem, then...
    Shotguns can be a bit unwieldy in tight spaces. It depends on his situation, of course.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I'm not a big proponent of shotguns for HD, but struck out on top safety receivers other than Mossberg.
    Shotguns do have a problem with over penetration. If that's not a problem, then...
    Shotguns can be a bit unwieldy in tight spaces. It depends on his situation, of course.
    Understood,
    But in my sons case, he will not at this point in his life become proficient with a handgun,
    His budget is roughly $250 - 300
    A carbine is only going to be about 3" shorter and twice the price.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Understood,
    But in my sons case, he will not at this point in his life become proficient with a handgun,
    I prefer AR9 pistols. Short, light, and maneuverable, but I understand everyone has their own preferrences.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    My adult son is looking for a home defense weapon, I talked him into a 12 or 20 shotgun, unless he plans to practice a lot with a pistol.
    He is familiar with my Mossberg shotguns and likes the "On Top" safety vs a rem cross bolt.

1) Is Mossberg the only one with the on top style slide safety?
    2) What is the best budget model M500 style HD shotty ?,, prob a 12ga, he is 6-5 and 225#
    I need to move some stuff out. I’m in a mood to deal.
    Very very little use and have box

19smiller

Nov 11, 2021
    Finding a 500 for less than $300 shouldn’t be too hard. They sell on gunbroker for around $250 all day depending on configuration. Keep your eye out at local stores and I am sure you can find one. They were also sold as Westernfield and maybe New Haven (box store brand mossberg), so if you see one of those it’s the same thing. If you are set on a shotgun, the 500 is a solid choice, it won’t disappoint. I’ve set one up for my dad and another for my brother-in-law.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Understood,

Unfortunately, $250-$300 were 1990’s mebbe 2000’s prices and isn’t going to get him a new Mossberg 500 today, unless he can find one used (if then)

If you have an FFL dealer that won’t charge you too much to do the transfer the best way I’ve found is to find the *new* gun I’m after at the lowest price available on gun.deals.com or wikiarms.com, have the FFL email or fax a copy of his FFL to that vendor, create my own login on the vendors website, purchase the gun via credit card, and designate the FFL to receive the gun:

RifleGear is a frequent go-to for me as they do not charge any tax and, iirc, their shipping is only $20 or so. VERY good vendor to do business with:

FFL finder, by zip code: https://duckduckgo.com/?t=h_&q=ffl+finder+by+zip+code&ia=web

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I'd get the 12 ga with 18.5 inch barrel. Easier to maneuver and the 6 or 7 shells it holds are adequate for home defense. 12 ga provides more options for self defense ammo.

Sirex