• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    Projectile selection for the use case is important. The yaw of some projectiles is NOT guaranteed nor is it consistent/predictable. An example is MK262; the Sierra 77 will often yaw but it is not incredibly consistent about the behavior, especially when you consider the direction of the yaw rather than just the depth before the yaw begins. If you purchase Nosler 77 custom comp, or load the bullets yourself, the Performance in tissue is different. The front third to half of the jacket and core become very small shrap (lead pieces about the size of wheat farina typically). The rear of the jacket USUALLY remains on trajectory line, sometimes with core remnant in place. Two different projectiles of almost identical outer dimensions and intended use but vastly different terminal performance due to the jackets they use (nosler uses the j4 match jackets). Below is a 77 nosler recovered using water test media.
    View attachment 433875

Midweights, like 60 to 69gr pills, are no different. I like 64BSB noslers for purposes as diverse as deer shooting, personal defense in an environment with low probability of background liabilities, and shooting through common urban media like auto glass and body panels. They deflect very little and lose minimal if any mass during transit through tissue. Two holes to let blood out and air in. Will easily break both shoulders on a mature white tail and exit. Not ideal if you have neighbors. The 64TGK from Sierra, well, different animal. I just loaded some to test and I can't agree with them Calling the bullet a gameking. Way too frangible. In gallon water jugs, it did not even enter the third jug. Energy transfer was very rapid and penetration shallow. This bullet acts like a slightly heavier 55 blitzking and.thus I would use it for varmints OR in a situation where overpenetration is unacceptable. The downside to this, or any other highly frangible projectile, is that you may not reach vital organs in spite of the significant energy transfer. Consider that "jackhammering" a closely grouped burst into the torso is a probability to effect organ damage. "Shock" may result in a psychological stop but absent major trauma to the central nervous system, bullets in this category will create nasty, shallow, wounds that may not be sufficient to lower blood pressure rapidly. They are also a bad bet for pelvic girdle/femur shots as they do not guarantee penetration with significant retained mass. Below is a 64TGK recovered from water test media. Note that the lead fragment pictured is the largest piece of the core recovered (it is the base that was originally in the jacket cup boat tail).
    View attachment 433876
    This is a speer 62gr gold dot. It was hand loaded but the same projectile is available as a factory load and is popular with law enforcement for duty use and for close range deer hunting. Recovered from water test media, this was found in the fourth gallon jug. The first two jugs were violently split apart but not shredded to the degree the 64TGK exhibited. The third and fourth jugs showed "wounds" slightly smaller than recovered projectile size. This is typical for a bonded duty load in a small case like the 223. When loaded into a 22-250AI, performance is a bit more violent and the penetration depth a bit less.
    View attachment 433877

Very nice read.
    Ty for the time.
    Now fill those jugs with animal organs and bones and you get an infinite amount of bullet variation. :)
    I think I remember seeing a video of someone hitting a pork shoulder or something at different distances with .556. Obviously bullet fragmentation gets unwieldy.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Very nice read.
    Ty for the time.
    Now fill those jugs with animal organs and bones and you get an infinite amount of bullet variation. :)
    I think I remember seeing a video of someone hitting a pork shoulder or something at different distances with .556. Obviously bullet fragmentation gets unwieldy.
    I've hit living tissue with all of those mentioned except the 64TGK. They are new to me but I'm going to use them as I would a 55blitzking or nosler btip varmint. The 77s, I've used both Sierra and nosler into living stuff and will only buy nosler based on my testing, experience, and experiences of those I trust to document terminal effects.

For a 223/556 killing load on medium game (deer, antelope, humans) that works for just about any shot presentation (broadside, ventral, raking, quartered, even a Texas heart shot) I'd opt for the 60partition, the 64bsb, or perhaps the 70accubond *I haven't shot the 70 into living things yet*. Your comment about bones and organs in the jugs is not incredibly likely to be accurate with these bullets. As mentioned, they track pretty straight through media and bone structures. I've cut into critters with both scalpulae broken by both partition and bsb with no apparent deviation from trajectory. I even have a report from a guide friend (who is also a ballistics nerd) about using the bsb on a black bear. It exited after breaking ribs on both sides.

If you can't justify using a bullet that exits, take what I said above about the more varmint oriented projectiles into consideration. You may need multiple tightly grouped shots to the torso to do enough organ damage depending on the shot presentation you are offered. I have never shot a live medium game animal with them but the 55 and 60 Nosler Btips have a thick solid copper base. They are NOT bonded and will shed significant mass during deceleration in tissue but the bases penetrate deeper in test media than the varmageddons (or Sierra blitzkings or speer TNTs) and thus would be my choice for a "compromise" domestic load.

For some very good testing and live shoot aggregated data, check out Marshall and Sanow books.

Ultimately, it's your shoot and you will be the one pulling the trigger. Pick a load that fits your use case.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Any thoughts on 40gr varmint bullets for HD?
    I think they are a little light. The reason to go with a rifle is energy. Thats just me. I don’t doubt they can do the job, there is just “better”.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I think they are a little light. The reason to go with a rifle is energy. Thats just me. I don’t doubt they can do the job, there is just “better”.
    The jackhammer technique (applies to just about all highly frangible/varmint bullets) is a thing when you run limited penetration bullets. If someone wants a 40, look at the nosler BTip varmint. Solid base construct. Yes, I love nosler bullets. No they are not sponsoring me. At some point I'll have to load some of the 40btips in 223 instead of 22-250ai and see what they do.
    Are these discontinued? Can't find a box. Or is this only self loaded or something?
    They are usually only loaded in small runs before hunting season. Even finding the projectiles post covid has been a real PITA. The 64bsb used to be available loaded in the tactical ammo line from federal but when nosler bought back their majority from federal I think that fizzled and federal went with gold dots because atk owns speer outright.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The jackhammer technique (applies to just about all highly frangible/varmint bullets) is a thing when you run limited penetration bullets. If someone wants a 40, look at the nosler BTip varmint. Solid base construct. Yes, I love nosler bullets. No they are not sponsoring me. At some point I'll have to load some of the 40btips in 223 instead of 22-250ai and see what they do.

They are usually only loaded in small runs before hunting season. Even finding the projectiles post covid has been a real PITA. The 64bsb used to be available loaded in the tactical ammo line from federal but when nosler bought back their majority from federal I think that fizzled and federal went with gold dots because atk owns speer outright.
    The Nosler 55 grain BTip have a solid base. A lot of companies use that as the basis for their HD rounds.

My HD gun has a Geiselle rapid fire trigger for the reason you mention.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I like my 5.56 for capacity, I believe I have a 7.5” as one of my HD pieces upstairs but I’d grab my Tac-14 and send 5-6 8/9 pellet 00 down range first.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    The Nosler 55 grain BTip have a solid base. A lot of companies use that as the basis for their HD rounds.

My HD gun has a Geiselle rapid fire trigger for the reason you mention.
    Yep. In post 123 I mentioned the 55 and 60 BTip varmint bullet solid base construction. Like most MDS threads, this is really going down the rabbit hole.

I live alone and I have adjacent neighbors so I opt for highly frangible projectile construction if I have a rifle out. Practicing a tightly grouped jackhammer drill is something I do with a carbine, happy switch or semi. That's the price of proximity to others.

One thing on G triggers: they are using MIM parts. My SSAE is all barstock but my 3G has MIM parts. This came directly from one of their (recently former) employees. I have moved to LaRue triggers Instead.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    What if I WANT to shoot the guy behind him too? Then not so bad?

You want your M1 Garand .30/06 for that.

What about the guy behind the guy behind him?

4xpzhx7fuh931.jpg

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Anyone ever use a black hills 50gr TSX in 5.56? They seem to be made for SBR’s. They’re also extremely expensive. I like the idea of a solid copper round

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I'm messing around with a 300blk AR pistol. Wanting to use Winchester extreme points. Not sure yet.... still trying to figure out if there are overpenetration issues with that round on humans at short distance. Still debating whether I prefer a PCC. I dont have a suppressor.

Last edited:

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I'm messing around with a 300blk AR pistol. Wanting to use Winchester extreme points. Not sure yet.... still trying to figure out if there are overpenetration issues with that round on humans at short distance. Still debating whether I prefer a PCC. I dont have a suppressor.
    220gr out of 10.5" barrel, with a suppressor. Get a suppressor.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I prefer the bullpup platform.
    They are SBR short, without the need for tax stamps.

A bullpup in 5.56 -loaded with varmint rounds is an excellent short range weapon. It will limit overpenetration as the 5.56/.223 in a 16” or longer barrel will fragment and lose energy quickly. That also creates a wound cavity that will often stop most threats with one shot ( if placed correctly). They’re also good up to 600 yards. Just in case.

Since Maryland has the stupid 29” minimum OAL rule. The 26” bullpup is banned. But you can still get bullpups with longer barrels or permanently attached muzzle extensions to meet the 29” rule.

The 20” MDRX, 20” Keltec RDB , Tavor x95 are okay. Then there is the SA Helion with a 16” bbl that is MD legal.

If I were to get one now. I’d get the Helion

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom