• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    There are a TON of answers but the best one for you to use is the one in your hands that you have used at the range and are able to use it to save your life and or your families life. You want the kind of ammo that will stay inside person and not over penetrate. I know you asked about the best rifle but you need to decide do you want a handgun,shotgun or rifle? Do you want to use lethal force and or use a non lethal type ammo like rock salt in a shotgun shell or rubber bullets? Those are questions you need to figure out and decide upon but once you decide what you are going to use for home defense, then practice as much as you can plus read about the law and use of force for defending your home and or loved ones. Remember once you pull the trigger you are responsible for your actions and you will have prove self defense of you,your family and home.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    You don't need a rifle... just get a double barreled shotgun and fire 2 blasts in the air, per the POTUS.

For myself, I like an AR. Have seen too many videos of multiple perps doing a home invasion. You need to be prepared for more than a single target.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    All jokes aside. My HD gun is a 9mm AR with hollow points. I has a 16" barrel and a light if I need it. I run a Sig Romeo 5 because you don't need to worry about turning the red dot on. My backup is a Glock 19 with hollows and a TLR-1S. I think the Glock has night sights but I can't remember, I know they aren't stock. They may be Wilson's. Standard capacity mags are your friend.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Something in 585 Nyati? At home defense distances, the first shot counts. Anything that can stop a charging cape buffalo in its tracks with one shot can stop a violent home invader. And the splatter would make an impression on any accomplices.

Actually, any reliable 9mm semiauto pistol or large frame revolver should be fine, as long as you practice with it. The key is practicing enough with it that you can operate it and accurately shoot purely by muscle memory in what will almost certainly be a very chaotic environment in an actual home defense action.

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    I’m looking for recommendations for the best rifle for home defense. Thanks I’m advance!
    They key point in your question is best home defense rifle in MD. You live in a liberal hell hole where the jury of your peers will find you guilty just for owning a rifle that looks like an AR15 not how or why you used it. For those reasons I switched to an very pricey M1 Carbine from Fulton Armory for my primary home defense weapon. It's lightweight, accurate, easy to operate, and dependable. Loaded with Underwood's 30 Carbine 85 Grain Extreme Cavitator Defense Rounds, we sleep soundly at night.
    M1CarbineScoutthreaded1.png

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Rifle is for outside and long distance, pistol is a better short range weapon, IMO. You can't defend yourself outside, long distance in MD. An AR with 9mm upper would be my thoughts for a rifle

I have a G17 loaded with pure lead, 147 grain, HP, powder coated. Accurate at 10 yards house distance and mushroom to almost an inch and should not over pernitrate

Worsley

Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    Rifle is for outside and long distance, pistol is a better short range weapon, IMO. You can't defend yourself outside, long distance in MD. An AR with 9mm upper would be my thoughts for a rifle

I have a G17 loaded with pure lead, 147 grain, HP, powder coated. Accurate at 10 yards house distance and mushroom to almost an inch and should not over pernitrate
    Great choice! Paired mine with a internal green laser from laser max, a surefire light, and a Johny Glock defense trigger. Again, we sleep soundly at night.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I don't like lasers or lights. I have good night vision and hearing and I feel like the light and laser is a target for my opposition to target.

Of course where I live, more likely to be vandalized by coons or a bear than human ruffians. Most robberies around here in the country have been day time while they work. I work from home, so they got no options but stare at a muzzle if they try.

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    I have a 1911 .45 ACP on the nightstand and a Springfield XDm, also .45, close by. Really don't see the need for a rifle inside the home.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Whichever firearm is in your hand(s) / sufficiency close to hand , when needed . Not a joke .

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    They key point in your question is best home defense rifle in MD. You live in a liberal hell hole where the jury of your peers will find you guilty just for owning a rifle that looks like an AR15 not how or why you used it. For those reasons I switched to an very pricey M1 Carbine from Fulton Armory for my primary home defense weapon. It's lightweight, accurate, easy to operate, and dependable. Loaded with Underwood's 30 Carbine 85 Grain Extreme Cavitator Defense Rounds, we sleep soundly at night. View attachment 433246
    The Hornady 110 grain Critical Defense rounds shoot reliably in my original Inland, and would be my choice of I had to use that rifle for home defense.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    What kinds of firearms do you have experience with? What kind of environmental concerns are there? By that, I mean are you in an apartment with thin walls and lots of people around you, or are you in a stand-alone home by yourself? Are you looking for a rifle that you're hunkering down behind a door with or something more compact that allows you to move(like if you'd need to go get your kids for instance). What kind of budget do you have?

I like semiautomatic, short rifles chambered in an intermediate rifle cartridge for HD. Something like a 5.56 tavor, 9" 300blk AR, 14.5" 5.56 AR, etc... give you a lot of capability. I also like 77gr 5.56 or 300 blk BECAUSE it punches through barriers. For my situation, I'm likely to be shooting down from the top of the stairs and don't need to worry as much about overpenetration. I WANT a defensive load that can shoot through a wall/chair/door and still have enough ass to put a threat down. When I lived in apartments, I instead went with varmint-tipped 55 gr loads for 5.56 that more reliably break up through walls and posed less of a risk to neighbors. I don't see a compelling argument for going with a rifle chambered in a handgun cartridge. You gain nothing and lose a lot of terminal performance.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I don't like lasers or lights. I have good night vision and hearing and I feel like the light and laser is a target for my opposition to target.

Of course where I live, more likely to be vandalized by coons or a bear than human ruffians. Most robberies around here in the country have been day time while they work. I work from home, so they got no options but stare at a muzzle if they try.
    This is horrible advice. Any defensive firearm you plan on using at night should have a light attached to it. With sufficient candela, you can place the hotspot on the threat's face and remove their ability to see anything but a blinding light from somewhere in the center of their vision. You can also use baseboard or umbrella lighting to illuminate rooms without needing to either be in them or flag what may be a family member with your muzzle.

Positive target ID is something that has to happen. You'll need a light for this if it's dark.

Worsley

Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster

It is better to have them and not need them, then need then and no have them. After the first shot in a dark room, you'll see nothing but stars and hear nothing but ringing. I prefer to see what I shoot at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom