• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I prefer the bullpup platform.
    They are SBR short, without the need for tax stamps.

A bullpup in 5.56 -loaded with varmint rounds is an excellent short range weapon. It will limit overpenetration as the 5.56/.223 in a 16” or longer barrel will fragment and lose energy quickly. That also creates a wound cavity that will often stop most threats with one shot ( if placed correctly). They’re also good up to 600 yards. Just in case.

Since Maryland has the stupid 29” minimum OAL rule. The 26” bullpup is banned. But you can still get bullpups with longer barrels or permanently attached muzzle extensions to meet the 29” rule.

The 20” MDRX, 20” Keltec RDB , Tavor x95 are okay. Then there is the SA Helion with a 16” bbl that is MD legal.

If I were to get one now. I’d get the Helion
    There was a Helion for sale recently in the classifieds. Not sure why unless you just can't get used to a bullpup.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Not rifles, but excellent HD long guns:
    Consider the following semi- auto shotguns.

Benelli M4
    Beretta 1301
    Beretta A300 tactical

These are easy to use , light recoil, reliable, accurate and extremely effective. The magazine cut off feature allows the user to switch out loads. ( buckshots to slugs to whatever). Buckshots are effective up to 50 yards, then slugs can reach out beyond 150yards.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Not rifles, but excellent HD long guns:
    Consider the following semi- auto shotguns.

Benelli M4
    Beretta 1301
    Beretta A300 tactical

These are easy to use , light recoil, reliable, accurate and extremely effective. The magazine cut off feature allows the user to switch out loads. ( buckshots to slugs to whatever). Buckshots are effective up to 50 yards, then slugs can reach out beyond 150yards.
    VEPR 12, 10 round mags. Can handle 3" and 2.75" loads. Fast reloads. You can also get a 25rd drum but it's bulky compared to the 10 rounders.

Sheffield202

Feb 6, 2021
    I have to agree with several posters here. A light is a MUST. the last thing you want to do is to shoot someone you don't want to. A good powerful weapons light has multiple uses not just to light up an area. The blinding affect might give you the advantage you need in a life or death engagement. Plus as you're in Maryland the threat better be articulable as in you saw the weapon!! or the threats actions made you fear for you life. Much easier to convince a third party when you can say he was FULLY ILLUMINATED.

If you are using a rifle I always recommend 4 must have items
    1. A red dot sight because at 3:00 am when you're still half asleep you don't need to be trying to find that front sight
    2. A good ATTACHED weapons grade light (previously stated)
    3. A sling (don't laugh) because as you go to get you kids or wife to a safe spot or are using your cell to call 911. Humans have the fight or flight reaction. The last thing you need is to have the threat appear startling you and you run. Leaving your rifle leaning against the wall because you had to use two hands to dial or carry a child to your safe room. You'll have the rifle with you even if it's banging you in your privates as you run!!!
    4. Good TESTED magazines. Don't go cheap!! a jam in the dark is not time to learn SPORTS (Look up military term)!!

But beyond that if you live in a development of city I would recommend a good 12 ga shotgun either a pump or auto loader with all the above items (minus the magazines) Loaded with a good OO buck load.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    3. A sling (don't laugh) because as you go to get you kids or wife to a safe spot or are using your cell to call 911. Humans have the fight or flight reaction. The last thing you need is to have the threat appear startling you and you run. Leaving your rifle leaning against the wall because you had to use two hands to dial or carry a child to your safe room. You'll have the rifle with you even if it's banging you in your privates as you run!!!

Loaded with a good OO buck load.

You realize your #3 is making the point why the Primary HD weapon should be a handgun ? And Rifles ( & other long guns ) are for safe rooms , or other fixed positions After bumps in the night , strange noises , etc have been addressed , and family members herded/ gathered/ brought ?

And IF you use Shotgun for the express intentions of minimizing interior wall penetration , don't go half way . #3B or #4B has much less overpenetration in walls or felons . Yeah , yeah , small Buckshot has trade offs hunting , or in the streets/ open areas . But if it is optimized for inside a room distances , it will do well enough .

King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    4. Good TESTED magazines. Don't go cheap!! a jam in the dark is not time to learn SPORTS (Look up military term)!!
    SPORTS = slap, pull, observe, release, tap and shoot

a jam in the dark wont let you observe :P. and if you were already supposed to Shoot you're not going to be observing anything anyways...Tap forward assist... no ty
    slap, rack and shoot for me.

Sheffield202

Feb 6, 2021
    SPORTS = slap, pull, observe, release, tap and shoot

a jam in the dark wont let you observe :P. and if you were already supposed to Shoot you're not going to be observing anything anyways...Tap forward assist... no ty
    slap, rack and shoot for me.

You realize your #3 is making the point why the Primary HD weapon should be a handgun ? And Rifles ( & other long guns ) are for safe rooms , or other fixed positions After bumps in the night , strange noises , etc have been addressed , and family members herded/ gathered/ brought ?

And IF you use Shotgun for the express intentions of minimizing interior wall penetration , don't go half way . #3B or #4B has much less overpenetration in walls or felons . Yeah , yeah , small Buckshot has trade offs hunting , or in the streets/ open areas . But if it is optimized for inside a room distances , it will do well enough .
    Handguns are great if you spend A LOT of time shooting and practicing, especially in the DARK. If you choose to use a pistol as the go to, again an attached light is highly recommended or PRACTICE a lot shooting with your light. But the question was what is recommended for a home defense rifle

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom