• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    In many ways the optic is more important than the rifle. You cannot hit what you cannot see. Most rifles are capable of enough accuracy to be effective. Few optics are built tough enough and clear enough to be effective in the field. IMHO

I couldn't agree more. That is the one and only reason I prefer the EOTech red dot sight. I can see the target much better. I've tried the Aimpoint on multiple occasions, even taking a carbine class wit one, but each and every time, I had waaaay too many issues with the sight picture.

I understand the pros and cons to both EOTechs and Aimpoints, but, for me, if I can't see the damn target, the optic is useless to me...

Jamie

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Personally I like the bed options of the ta31 series better. And the iron sight on top seems useless.

yea because nobody is shooting back at you. think IED. if a blast has enough force to rattle the inside of the scope and possibly do damage (rare on a trijicon) you NEED something to rapidly engage with hence iron sights on top. ive heard stories about IEDs going off and the rifle is toast, the surefire, and acog are able to be used again. thats how good the products are. OP, trijicon is pricey for a reason. you dont have to worry about some moron knocking over your rifle then having to re-zero it again like with a hunting rifle/civilian scope combination. these things are TANKS. i think an ACOG is my next purchase.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    yea because nobody is shooting back at you. think IED. if a blast has enough force to rattle the inside of the scope and possibly do damage (rare on a trijicon) you NEED something to rapidly engage with hence iron sights on top. ive heard stories about IEDs going off and the rifle is toast, the surefire, and acog are able to be used again. thats how good the products are. OP, trijicon is pricey for a reason. you dont have to worry about some moron knocking over your rifle then having to re-zero it again like with a hunting rifle/civilian scope combination. these things are TANKS. i think an ACOG is my next purchase.

QD mount and regular BUIS. Plus if the IED destroys the Trijcon what did it just do to the soldier holding the rifle? And I don't think anyone over here in America should be worrying bout IEDs taking out their AR.

Last edited:

Fustercluck

Aug 4, 2008
    Eastern Shore
    Swarovski Z6i

5436252939_cb9239e02e.jpg

+1. I've had mine for a few months now (with BRT reticle) and find it to be everything I could want in a 3-gun optic.

Attachments

• z6.jpg
      z6.jpg
      101.3 KB · Views: 290

Hol3shot

Sweet...
    Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena MD
    That was my fault. Chad and I have gone round and round on more than a few occasions and now it seems that any differing statement form me sets him off. Oh well, my bad...

As to your question, yes, I'm a lefty, here are a few other pics of my 2 ARs. All are set up with ambi safeties, ambi mag releases and ambi charging handles. Otherwise, they are pretty much, run of the mill ARs:

384915087.jpg

384915095.jpg

The stubby foregrip has been replaced w/a Magpul angled foregrip.

384915088.jpg

384915085.jpg

This one also now sports a Magul angled foregrip.

Hope this helps...

Jamie

The pictures were cool, but I guess I don't know enough yet what to look for, that or they were all of the left side so I couldn't see how where the ambi stuff is on the right ;)
    My daughter is tearing the house apart this morning, so I might just take her out to some gun stores to look around and see if anybody has some of that stuff in stock.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    The pictures were cool, but I guess I don't know enough yet what to look for, that or they were all of the left side so I couldn't see how where the ambi stuff is on the right ;)
    My daughter is tearing the house apart this morning, so I might just take her out to some gun stores to look around and see if anybody has some of that stuff in stock.

The ambi safety will just have a similar lever on the right side of the receiver. The ambi mag release can be seen in both of the close ups on the laft side of the receiver. It is better seen on the DPMS shot. it's the lever coming back, just below the bolt release paddle...

Hope this helps...

Jamie

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    In many ways the optic is more important than the rifle. You cannot hit what you cannot see.

Really? Because I was hitting the X ring at 600 yards today despite not being able to "see" it.

Granted, optics are helpful!

Uncle Krunkle

Sep 29, 2010
    Save your money. I have a 3.5x ACOG. For the money I'd rather have a decent red dot,a 3-9, and a bunch of change left over to buy some quality ammo. Before you get anything, try to get over the whole tacticool thing. It drives you to spend more and more money, never be satisfied with what you have and always wanting something else. Six months from now you're going to get bored of the ACOG.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    So the farther the better correct??
    What is a good eye relief distance

The eye relief will vary depending on the optic. ACOGs have a shorter and a bit more flexible eye relief- 1.5-2". You'll find eye relief with traditional optics to be less forgiving and longer. A good quick detach/return to zero mount like a Larue, if mounting a traditional optic on a flat top AR, will allow you to:
    - fine tune eye relief
    - change back and forth from a magnified to RDS optic by just ensuring you mount in the same rail slot.
    - keep a functional rear BUIS (i.e. you can quickly remove the optic if it goes tango uniform)

Another TTP for RDOs- if using a folding front BUIS, run it in the up position. If your optic goes down, use the optic as a ghost ring and shoot using just the front sight. I always recommend zeroing irons first (50/200yd zero), then dial the dot in so that it sits right on top the FSP. You should only need to make minor adjustments to the RDO to achieve zero after doing this. That said, the idea of using the RDO as a ghost ring. Also, do not use a magnifier when zeroing an RDO.

ACOG TTP- make sure you zero it at the appropriate distance for the BDC reticle- 100yds. They are calibrated for M855 62gr, but M193 works fine unless you are really going for precision. Remember these are combat optics anyway.

Comment on the ACOGs with Doctor or other RDOs mounted on top- they work fine, but take training. You do not lift all the way off the stock. You use a chin to stock weld. If you are off the stock trying to shoot that dot, you will be disappointed.

Remember all the optics mentioned in this thread have strengths and weaknesses. Get the optic best suited to your shooting pursuits. There are some like the Schmidt and Bender that do both but they are expensive and heavy.

Bart_man

Clinging to gun&religion
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hazzard County
    Bump and here's where this thread has brought me.

For reference sake, what I am thinking about is the new rifle I am building from Maui's group buy. I have a bushmaster 7.62x39 upper on layaway waiting for me to dump the last chunk of change on it so now I'm thinking about optics.

I've been reading and Re-reading this thread and others and decided to check my two thoughs versus the litmus test of you guys.

I think I'm inclined toward the Eotech, but ..well here

760734.jpg

Mfr# TA33A-13

Price: $1,037

opplanet-eotech-mpo-2-hws-magnifier-1.jpg

ET-RD-MPO-III
    SKU MPO III
    UPC 672294570257
    Price $935.00

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Bart-man i played with that eotech exact setup yesterday on another members rifle. It is sweet. I have an eotech 553 so i like eotechs anyway, but the magnifier is excellent, they both fit together great, not too heavy either. It is however alot of money...either way you go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom