• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Alright... back to the topic.

I do not own one, but I had seen an Elcan DR sight in action. I would rate it as #1, except that it's cost is extremely prohibitive. Same thing with US optics and the new 1-4 leupold.

Best is a relative term... It is usually proportional to one's budget or surplus income. If money was not an option... I would go with US optics, Elcan DR or leupold 1-4x

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Alright... back to the topic.

I do not own one, but I had seen an Elcan DR sight in action. I would rate it as #1, except that it's cost is extremely prohibitive. Same thing with US optics and the new 1-4 leupold.

Best is a relative term... It is usually proportional to one's budget or surplus income. If money was not an option... I would go with US optics, Elcan DR or leupold 1-4x

That new Loopy is 1-8x.:party29:

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    is it 1-8? I did not proceed to read the fine details after I saw the manufacturer's suggested price .

Yeah it's not something I will ever be able to afford, but in the discussion of best it's pretty darn amazing to be able to go 1x up close and then dial all the way up to 8x for precision shooting with the same optic. The only thing comparable would be running a RDS on a 1 o'clock mount and a traditional scope on the rail.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Yeah it's not something I will ever be able to afford, but in the discussion of best it's pretty darn amazing to be able to go 1x up close and then dial all the way up to 8x for precision shooting with the same optic. The only thing comparable would be running a RDS on a 1 o'clock mount and a traditional scope on the rail.

it should have thermal capabilities and a built in expresso machine for $3999.00 MSRP.

Loopy also has that new HAMR scope that looks like a Trijicon. That looks interesting.

Attachments

• HAMR1.jpg
      HAMR1.jpg
      24.1 KB · Views: 278

Hol3shot

Sweet...
    Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena MD
    Oh look, someone who has "actual experience" uses a similar set-up!

Please don't tell Chad, he'll start crying.

And yes, I have the LaRue FTS mounted opposite of normal because I'm a lefty and it's easier to flip it to my left...

Jamie
    :lol: I was hoping to hear what was actually so wrong about that setup since I'm not so familiar, and your right it didn't add anything and actually confused me since I'm newer to the platform.

Sweet, another lefty. Got any pictures of your setup, or did I miss them?

My M&P 15 is dying for some upgrades since I got it in a trade, but I'm still checking out what is available. Especially lefty stuff.

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    Personal opinion...I like the ACOG. It works well for me at all ranges because I'm left-eye dominant but shoot right-handed...so I get a kind of hybrid-bastardized Bindon effect. My dominant free eye produces the image and my gun-side right eye superimposes the reticle. So I work fine with it at close range and just close the left eye for instant zoom. Probably not as easy to use at close range if you shoot on your dominant eye side (like I'm told you should :D ).

For tactical ranges, I've come'to like the Aimpoint more than the EO just because it seems more rugged...plus it"s always-on.

I got away from EO after they would not admit that they had a problem with their sight. The squashed battery contacts caused by the batts recoiling inline is a known phenomenon and yet EO denied it for years and then quietly started shipping rebuild kits. They solved this problem with the xps but it is still kinda big and heavy. As to the magnifier, well lets just say i have one. All of my rifles that employ non-magnified RDS wear aimpoint T-1s or in one case the H-1 (draco sbr). I'm deep in aimpoints by now, like 6. Its all perspective. I like the ACOG, i have 2 (one on the redhead's scar and one on a LWRC M6A3 16"). I really like eo's recticle to be frank, BUT, for anyone who has been on a long tab with a heavy ruck can tell you cut weight where you can. For serious work out to 100 -200 a non magnified RDS will get it done. I like to keep my hard use guns rather simple and utilitarian. I have several set up identically and none sport NC, UTG, or leapers.

Some of the pics I have been seeing on here with the "full rig" are quite interesting. I applaud the use of railspace, but to what end? From under the bed to the trunk to the bench and back that's all good. Nice bbq guns. But KISS and go.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    :lol: I was hoping to hear what was actually so wrong about that setup since I'm not so familiar, and your right it didn't add anything and actually confused me since I'm newer to the platform.

Sweet, another lefty. Got any pictures of your setup, or did I miss them?

My M&P 15 is dying for some upgrades since I got it in a trade, but I'm still checking out what is available. Especially lefty stuff.

That was my fault. Chad and I have gone round and round on more than a few occasions and now it seems that any differing statement form me sets him off. Oh well, my bad...

As to your question, yes, I'm a lefty, here are a few other pics of my 2 ARs. All are set up with ambi safeties, ambi mag releases and ambi charging handles. Otherwise, they are pretty much, run of the mill ARs:

384915087.jpg

384915095.jpg

The stubby foregrip has been replaced w/a Magpul angled foregrip.

384915088.jpg

384915085.jpg

This one also now sports a Magul angled foregrip.

Hope this helps...

Jamie

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    That was a joke I never expect anything for free
    Unless you have an easy way to remOve my from sight from my AR to install a flat top gas block...

I would advise using a clamp on or set screw gas block. The factory FSB is superior in all ways since they are cross pinned.

Cut the FSB down and install a FF Tube and use flip ups on the tube.

Your call bro.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I'm thinking about getting an ACOG and selling my EOTECH
    What's the best optic overall for a 5.56 AR15?
    I want some magnification I don't shoot over 150 yards
    I need tacticool. If you hade a choice what would you pick?

If you like ACOG what model would you pick there are so many!

acog TA01NSN! my buddy had one when he was infantry. exact words.. "every kill in high definition". think that says enough

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    If they could fix the problems with the elcan it would be perfect. The old range officer Patrick at AGC had one and that thing was sweet.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I would advise using a clamp on or set screw gas block. The factory FSB is superior in all ways since they are cross pinned.

Cut the FSB down and install a FF Tube and use flip ups on the tube.

Your call bro.

That's what I'm doing to my Noveske and that is the reason why.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Yeah, but holy shit that is as much as my AR-15 was!

In many ways the optic is more important than the rifle. You cannot hit what you cannot see. Most rifles are capable of enough accuracy to be effective. Few optics are built tough enough and clear enough to be effective in the field. IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom