• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Don't know why I haven't thought about getting spray and training for it. Really starting to get seedy where I work (Glen Burnie area). Multiple muggings (2 on property) and multiple shootings in the area in the past couple months. Don't really feel safe with just my keys (heavy on a lanyard), flashlight, and pocket knife. I've had people start to approach me a couple of times including one who found somewhere better to be when I lit him up with my flashlight.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    One thing most people never pay attention to is that pepper sprays have an expiration date. pepper sprays lose a considerable amount of efficiency past the date. So much to the point that I wouldn't keep one up to the expiration date before replacing it.

I believe Sabre has a 4 year expiration, but I would replace at 2 years easily. Just in case.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    One thing most people never pay attention to is that pepper sprays have an expiration date. pepper sprays lose a considerable amount of efficiency past the date. So much to the point that I wouldn't keep one up to the expiration date before replacing it.

I believe Sabre has a 4 year expiration, but I would replace at 2 years easily. Just in case.

Good point. My current Sabre Red expires in 2018 and was issued last month.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    We remind our students to check the expiration dates on the canisters. Unfortunately I do not think most of them do and are carrying expired sprays.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    We remind our students to check the expiration dates on the canisters. Unfortunately I do not think most of them do and are carrying expired sprays.

What scares me are the countless numbers of women out there who buy the cute, pink container of cheap spray they saw in Bass pro. Stays in their purses for years.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    I just sprayed off a small can of sabre red that expired in 2006, still worked, though not as well. I wouldn't have wanted it as my self defense spray, but it did work.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I just sprayed off a small can of sabre red that expired in 2006, still worked, though not as well. I wouldn't have wanted it as my self defense spray, but it did work.

I am sure after 7 years some of the intensity has long gone not to mention the actual charge used to generate the spray. Good to know it still worked after 7 years.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    How about Fox Spray pepper spray?
    see my earlier post, it is ridiculously powerful stuff. My wife can attest to that. I sprayed a little [one quick thumb depression] in a 3 gallon water jug. My wife was talking on the phone and I wafted a little of the fumes her way, she dropped the phone and lay coughing on the floor. She was not too happy with me for that one.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Supposedly the Casaicin oil in solution with pressurized inert gas is extremely stable, and won't lose potency over decades, the problem is slow leakage of the propellant and the lifespan of the seals, this is what the expiration date is for. I use my old and expired cans for practice, Sabre and Fox spray like new after they expire, some cheapo stuff I had would just dribble, a can of Police Magnum I had a year after expiration went about 1/2 as far as it should of, but 2 other cans of it worked fine. I EDC OC in MD, and when I lived there I kept a lot of it, spray is cheap, but I'm real particular about any dings and dents from jumping around. My instructor told us we should practice regularly, a silhouette target in the yard works for me, I don't rely on my handgun without shooting it regularly, same with my spray.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    see my earlier post, it is ridiculously powerful stuff. My wife can attest to that. I sprayed a little [one quick thumb depression] in a 3 gallon water jug. My wife was talking on the phone and I wafted a little of the fumes her way, she dropped the phone and lay coughing on the floor. She was not too happy with me for that one.

LMAO! I'm glad to have sparked this discussion. TONS of valuable input. Thanks guys. :thumbsup:

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    What scares me are the countless numbers of women out there who buy the cute, pink container of cheap spray they saw in Bass pro. Stays in their purses for years.

That's what my wife and daughters carry. They're the black containers though not the pink ones. As far as I could tell they were the same formula, the pink was just the breast cancer marketing thing. It is Saber OC spray though. So is the run if the mill saber spray junk?

The bigger problem I have is getting my girls to have situational awareness. They could be carrying a G26 and still allow themselves to be knocked on the head. They would however manage to Instagram the entire attack.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    That's what my wife and daughters carry. They're the black containers though not the pink ones. As far as I could tell they were the same formula, the pink was just the breast cancer marketing thing. It is Saber OC spray though. So is the run if the mill saber spray junk?

The bigger problem I have is getting my girls to have situational awareness. They could be carrying a G26 and still allow themselves to be knocked on the head. They would however manage to Instagram the entire attack.

I think the concern noted in the post you quoted was that people are carrying around expired canisters which may prove to be less effective than ones manufactured at a later date.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va

You may want to enroll them in a NRA Refuse To Be A Victim class

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom