• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I am definitely interested in an evening class at the AGC in July.

Now, say what you might about my two-shot derringers (http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=2511001&postcount=7) , but they have little-to-no blowback , deploy quickly, and carry very discretely in my back pocket. No bulk on the belt, and no one has ever asked why I have two "wallets". I'm normally not aware it's there, because I've only gone out once in the last 5 years without it (felt naked without it that one time).

When I'm out-of-state or carrying at home, I can switch over to my Ruger LCP in a different DeSantis holster, carried the exact same way, and except for weight, don't really notice the difference. I have had moments of alarm out in public when I've thought, "Am I carrying the Pepperblaster or the Ruger?"

I've reached for it several times when confronted by threatening dogs, and once when discouraging an apparent strong-arm robber. I actually used it once, on a small moving target, when I was attacked by a rabid groundhog (bizarre story). It pointed well, and accuracy was dead nuts on a small, charging target at a range of about six feet. The groundhog was literally bowled over.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
      scan0001.jpg
      63.3 KB · Views: 213

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    Sabre Red. It's widely available and burns like hell. Have her take a training class as well.

This! And they make it in a foam for use in confined areas that will take the intended down and not even bother everyone else in the area. Don't ask me how I know. :innocent0

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    Get red sabre. Don't get any foam mace because the person you spray on can easily wipe it off and throw it back at you

1) If they wipe it, they're actually pushing the irritant deeper into their skin. They'll pay for that.

2) If you are standing there long enough to get the gel thrown back at you, you have screwed up.

pskryja

Apr 5, 2009
    Baltimore, MD
    Took a basic class years ago, it is practically a requirement, being the techniques to successfully use OC and to cope with exposure aren't really self explanatory. One of the main points I was taught is that if you are going to use it, there is a huge chance you will be exposed, through blowback or physical transfer, and you need to know how to at least function and not pannick after getting sprayed. That being said, Sabre is best, if not for their formula, for their training, product line, standard can sizes and accessories to go along with it. I conceal a 2oz can on my belt instead of a firearm where I cannot legally CC. Strong side in a doublesatack mag pouch that fits well, is secure, and way better made than the majority of consumer OC holsters, you can also get duty holsters. I don't care for turn tops, I like the LE style flip tops, quicker to operate, and just as safe IMO. I get Sabre red MK3 2oz cans, it's the LEO version, a bit harder to find, but still available, Mine is model# 52CFT10, stream nozzle, level III hottest formula, flip top, good range, minimal blowback. I have played around with their Gel, and have it in the car, less atomization for confined spaces, better range, but instead of the liquid basically running everywhere and the fumes choking an assailant with a hit, the gel just kinda stays where it hit, and seems it would be harder to land an effective ear to ear soak.

SABRE-52CFT10-rw-61341-70747.jpg

This class is not just for the ladies. I feel if you are going to carry pepper spray you need to know how to use it properly, just like anything else. As was said "above" the class prepares you and makes you aware of what could happen when you spray - no matter what product you choose to use. What I like about the Sabre products as there are different types which fit different situations. As mentioned; there is a foam product that is great for closed in spaces such as a car. Sabre also has a special class designed just for college students. We plan on putting on some of these clinics this summer.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I thought you meant the SABRE Bear spray (it is about 10 times hotter than the SABRE RED).

There is the base scoville units(500k, 2m etc), then the formula(2%, 5%, 10%)then the CRC percentage(percentage of Casaicin oil). Sabre defense is 10% of 500k base (50k scoville)for .33% CRC, Sabre 5.0 is 5% or 2m(100k scoville) base for .67 CRC, Sabre red(LE can I showed above) is 10% of 2m(200K scoville) or 1.3%. The Bear spray is 2%CRC, or probably around 15% and 300K, so really F'in hot, and none of that comes close to the cheap OC we had at the class, that stuff had to be 50%, if it was mere bear spray I wouldn't have been praying for a merciful death or at least a bucket of Bleu cheese to dunk my head in.

Aug 19, 2011
    Fredneck, MD
    When I was OC'd they were testing out a new gel-like formula. I have no experience other than receiving it, but would be interested to hear if anyone knows what I'm talking about.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I like the idea of the pepper blaster gun but I'm a bit concerned with just having two shots. What if you miss, misjudge it's accuracy, or have multiple attackers?

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    I have had more experience with pepper spray than I want to. Md prisons use sabre red which has a scoville heat unit of about 2.2 million SHU. It is effective without being too overbearing. Fox defense labs uses a 5.3 million SHU formula. I used to wonder why we didn't use the more powerful stuff until I tried out a Fox Mk9. If you are not wearing a mask, and you shoot off an MK9 size can of this in in an enclosed space, you will also be incapacitated. [The Mk9 is the 1 pound can which is the size of a small fire extinguisher] I would rather be shot in the leg with a .22 than completely sprayed down with a big can of FOX. It is the most vile pepper spray I have encountered. The Mk4 is the more compact, purse sized can, that many people carry. I feel that a small can of Fox would be your best bet if it is shot with a stream tip as is often found on these canisters. A fog tip [ or mist tip as it is sometimes called] has too much tendency to effect the user [though it is effective on multiple subjects]. The sabre red is good stuff that will do the job, but my opinion is that a small can of FOX with a stream tip would be the most bang for your buck.

cyclelabs

Dec 18, 2012
    Gambrills, MD
    My ex-gf has been asking for advice on carrying a gun for SD (she lives in VA) but ia IMHO nowhere near ready for that... so it hasn't been at the forefront of my consciousness to keep her safe (as she's my ex) but she got mugged last week. Now I feel like she really needs something easy to use and legal to carry on public transit and at work, ASAP.

Is there a brand/delivery method that works best? I have heard FOX and SABRE mentioned as reputable brands. However there are many form factors such as keychains up to cans for bears and riot control. My concerns are the ease of use, potency and range/capacity of the different types. I understand that it's not a perfect or one-size-fits-all approach but it's better than nothing IMO (I could be wrong...).

So what can you guys say about the subject? I'd like to give her sound advice so she can swing by a gun shop or police supply store this weekend and have something to help keep her safe.

As always, thanks for the input! :)

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB
    Kimber Pepper Blaster II

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    I like the idea of the pepper blaster gun but I'm a bit concerned with just having two shots. What if you miss, misjudge it's accuracy, or have multiple attackers?

Pepper blasters are accurate and have good user controls, but their two blast capacity is a joke. They hit hard, but don't miss the face. Remember that pepper spray is not an immediate stopper. I have seen grown men solid orange and still stabbing each other. It takes either a direct hit [ in the face, right up the nose or down the throat] to immediately stop a dedicated attacker, a simple hit in the face will blind the attacker, and within moments the burn and respiratory distress will start to take its toll, but if someone is charging you, they are still gonna hit you until you have given them a good hosing or if they are a punk and stop after first being hit.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

Yup.

Life is a crap shoot.

Sometimes I carry two, as when I take my wife to doctors in Baltimore.

images

Mostly I don't go to stupid places and do stupid things with stupid people.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    They need to make full auto ones with 30 round capacity. I suggest a Saiga 12 format.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    So what's the consensus on this pepper blaster gun? It looks cool but something is telling me maybe I should go with old fashioned SABRE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom