• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Our FSA has $120 left in it, so we need to burn some of it on first aid supplies (this is the government's contribution to my SHTF stockpile, I suppose). Can someone recommend something good (great, amazing, etc.) that can be purchased online? Multiple kits are OK, if it comes to it.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    Our FSA has $120 left in it, so we need to burn some of it on first aid supplies (this is the government's contribution to my SHTF stockpile, I suppose). Can someone recommend something good (great, amazing, etc.) that can be purchased online? Multiple kits are OK, if it comes to it.

A great question! A few things I'd recommend (I used to work as nurse in West Philly ER) in addition to the basic gauze/medications you probably already have:
    -tourniquet- preferably ratcheting kind
    -quickclot
    -lots of medical tape
    -SAM splint
    -EpiPen- you never know when you'll find something you're allergic to
    -Benadryl
    -Medical Shears
    -Paracord
    -Duct Tape
    -Lighter
    -Candle
    -headlamp
    -Lifesavers/high sugar candy for diabetics
    -Bottle of saline solution for contacts (clean out wounds, eyes, etc)
    -Bottle rubbing alcohol (longer shelf life than hydrogen peroxide)
    -Good tweezers (let us not forget Androcles and the lion)
    -Knife
    -Stitches
    -Triple antibiotic ointment
    -Vasoline
    -Space Blanket
    -Baby wipes
    -Latex gloves
    -super glue (used for closing wounds)

If you have basic medical knowledge or family with conditions that would require it:
    -thermometer
    -blood pressure cuff- automatic if you don't know how to use it
    -pulse oximeter- they are $20 and also tell you pulse
    -stethoscope

If you can use the money for a (wilderness) first aid class, that would be my #1 though! And remember, the above equipment is useless unless you know how to use it and can interpret the data it gives you.

I've never been able to find a pre-made first aid kit I've been happy with. A bunch of useless stuff and missing critical stuff. And rarely waterproof. Keep it in a clean ammo can or dry box with a list of supplies on the lid. And keep in mind, this isn't an exhaustive list. It will grow/shrink depending on your needs.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Superb advice, thank you. I try to keep the supplies I have in ammo cans, so that's already taken care of.

I have definitely considered stocking up on some OTC medications, especially since it turns out that they generally work perfectly fine for a couple decades after the expiration date.

R1125

Apr 11, 2013
    Frederick
    Superb advice, thank you. I try to keep the supplies I have in ammo cans, so that's already taken care of.

I have definitely considered stocking up on some OTC medications, especially since it turns out that they generally work perfectly fine for a couple decades after the expiration date.

Go to Walmart and get the OTC. Cheaper then other places I have seen.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    For a waterproof first aid kit check with your local marine / boating / chanlery store.
    I bought the one for my sailboat from Viking Supply in Annapolis just over the Eastport Bridge.
    I don't know if they are still around.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    You want 3M Steri-strips in multiple sizes. They can be used in place of stitches and work great. Also, stock up on burn gel. I seem to go through a lot of burn gel.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    Be careful with some OTC prescriptions when they expire. Most are fine, but some will destroy your liver/kidneys.

Personally, I avoid most OTC pain killers 2 years after expiration, they can be pretty rough on your body.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    For a waterproof first aid kit check with your local marine / boating / chanlery store.
    I bought the one for my sailboat from Viking Supply in Annapolis just over the Eastport Bridge.
    I don't know if they are still around.

The Viking Boat supply store is long gone...as is the Fawcett's on City Dock, which has moved down on Forest Drive past the West Marine. There's also the old Boat/US store on Jennifer Road across from the mall, which now operates as another West Marine.

JoeR

SSDD

Dec 18, 2012
    Hanover, MD
    I'm not an expert, but I went with this kit for my Combat Lifesaver type knowledge.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AB3E7CS/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

51GU6V9MJ%2BL._SX425_.jpg

Edit: I did add some blood clotting gauze.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032UY9EI/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

51gsh7zYQxL._SY450_.jpg

Last edited:

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    The Viking Boat supply store is long gone...as is the Fawcett's on City Dock, which has moved down on Forest Drive past the West Marine. There's also the old Boat/US store on Jennifer Road across from the mall, which now operates as another West Marine.

JoeR

I knew Fawcetts moved, sad about Viking and other boating business's in and around Annapolis. Maybe Bacon would have something.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    I knew Fawcetts moved, sad about Viking and other boating business's in and around Annapolis. Maybe Bacon would have something.

Yes, it really is sad about what's happened to the marine businesses around Annapolis harbor. With the closing of the ones we listed above, plus Stevens Hardware, there's no place to get any boat related parts close to the harbor. All of them now require a drive. That's not so bad for those of us who live in the area, but if you're a cruising sailor visiting 'Naptown, you're stuck needing a cab.

Unfortunately, it's not very different in other places. I know Newport RI pretty well and they've seen the very same thing happen to the harbor area. There in one sense it's even worse, with many of the large buildings on the waterfront have been converted to condos...blocking most of the access to the waterfront for visitors.

JoeR

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    A great question! A few things I'd recommend (I used to work as nurse in West Philly ER) in addition to the basic gauze/medications you probably already have:

-tourniquet- preferably ratcheting kind

-quickclot

-lots of medical tape

-SAM splint

-EpiPen- you never know when you'll find something you're allergic to

-Benadryl

-Medical Shears

-Paracord

-Duct Tape

-Lighter

-Candle

-headlamp

-Lifesavers/high sugar candy for diabetics

-Bottle of saline solution for contacts (clean out wounds, eyes, etc)

-Bottle rubbing alcohol (longer shelf life than hydrogen peroxide)

-Good tweezers (let us not forget Androcles and the lion)

-Knife

-Stitches

-Triple antibiotic ointment

-Vasoline

-Space Blanket

-Baby wipes

-Latex gloves

-super glue (used for closing wounds)

If you have basic medical knowledge or family with conditions that would require it:

-thermometer

-blood pressure cuff- automatic if you don't know how to use it

-pulse oximeter- they are $20 and also tell you pulse

-stethoscope

If you can use the money for a (wilderness) first aid class, that would be my #1 though! And remember, the above equipment is useless unless you know how to use it and can interpret the data it gives you.

I've never been able to find a pre-made first aid kit I've been happy with. A bunch of useless stuff and missing critical stuff. And rarely waterproof. Keep it in a clean ammo can or dry box with a list of supplies on the lid. And keep in mind, this isn't an exhaustive list. It will grow/shrink depending on your needs.

Terrific post. Reminds me to assemble a few more items in my kit, and as you mention, move the items into a dry bag.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Here's what I'm thinking.

This 'kit' it primarily for trauma (i.e. getting shot, stabbed, cut).

These items are in order of priority, so if you can only carry one item, carry the first; if you have more room, carry the second, etc.

_MG_6027_Hemorrhage_ArmLEAD.jpg

Proper tourniquet (SOF or other DoD approved) - extremity wounds
    Hemostatic Dressing (Quick Clot combat gauze or Celox) - best for axillary or groin injury
    Israeli bandage - can also be used as a tourniquet
    Halo chest seal - sucking chest wound
    nasopharygeal airway - breathing
    duct tape - bandages, sucking chest wound, multipurpose
    sterile gloves - protection, wound irrigation
    Z-pak dressing - packing and/or protecting wounds
    shears 4-5" - removing clothing/gear, cutting dressings/tape, etc.
    decompression needle - relieving tension pneumothorax
    Triangular Bandage - pressure dressing, splints, multipurpose
    SAM / Universal Splint - stabilizing limbs, cervical collar,
    Aspirin - don't use for trauma it thins blood; but excellent for a heart attack and pain relief. *You are more likely to be injured in a fall or have a heart attack at a range that have someone get shot.
    Misc bandaids, include butterfly bandaids - keep small wounds clean
    Kelly locking forceps - grasping, holding, removing foreign objects, clamp
    Tiny bar of soap - to clean/disinfect wounds (if immediate medical care is not available)

Like this? Read this: http://www.jems.com/article/patient-care/civilian-ems-should-consider-tourniquets

Watch this:

Not perfect, not all inclusive, but pretty good for folks with little/no training.

Also pretty good:

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    IMO,making your own kit is always best. Build it to your level of knowledge. Even in a SHTF scenario, the most common injuries won't be GSWs or major traumas. As a shooter, of course you should have a blow out kit and some resupply. As far as a home medical kit, OTC meds, good medical tape, 4x4s, 2x2s, Kling/gauze wrap, ace bandages, cold packs, triple anti biotic ointment, and of course good quality band aids. Like you said, expiration dates on OTCs are not set in stone, they are a creation of the FDA, and are "guidelines".

Some other niceties are prefilled saline syringes or bullets which you can use for irrigating wounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom