• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    I shoot Bismuth or Tungsten Matrix I dont like cripples and steel sucks. Nice Shot ITX andy of the tungsten shots work too.
    Of course with gees half the time they are like 30 feet away and it shouuldnt matter

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    Steel is costly. In my group of hunters, they tend to shoot a goose three times to my one shot with Hevi-Shot.... I'll stick with HS. That said, when you factor in all of the costs associated with hunting geese, the cost of shells is very minor, so why not use what works best? I buy HS when it's on sale or when rebates are offered. With rebates, it's best to buy a case. It should last most goose hunters about two seasons, at least it should where you have two bird limits.

I know that no matter what you tell people, they still tend to buy steel. I'm not sure if it's all the gimmicky names or other marketing ploys, but steel is steel. It sheds energy quickly and offers lousy performance compared to denser shot.

travismxi

Nov 14, 2010
    i think it speaks for itself.
    we have noticed guys in the blind shooting black cloud take ducks flying away over anything else. IMO its the most powerful load.

Attachments

• facebook_-599957736.jpg
      facebook_-599957736.jpg
      78.9 KB · Views: 110

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    How is it "the most powerful load" when it's not the fastest and certainly not dense?

Whatever shots you saw on ducks would have been made with whatever shells were in the gun. Just because you witnessed some good shots doesn't mean it was the shells and hardly ever is. It is usually just the right shot sixe, the right choke and a well placed shot.

That head shot on a goose using BBs in a 10ga must have been pretty close to be so dense of a pattern. Have done the same thing with a 28ga and #4 HS.

travismxi

Nov 14, 2010
    just my opinion based on recoil vs other shells and me missing long shots with out BC and guys making them with BC and vise versa when i had BC and they didn't. I will admit it the shot was about 15 yards away from the blind with a carlson extended full choke. I tend to shoot what is cheapest but prefer BC

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    How is it "the most powerful load" when it's not the fastest and certainly not dense?

Whatever shots you saw on ducks would have been made with whatever shells were in the gun. Just because you witnessed some good shots doesn't mean it was the shells and hardly ever is. It is usually just the right shot sixe, the right choke and a well placed shot.

That head shot on a goose using BBs in a 10ga must have been pretty close to be so dense of a pattern. Have done the same thing with a 28ga and #4 HS.

Blackthorn, my 28ga and bismuth #4 or #6 is my favorite early season wood duck combo

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    just my opinion based on recoil vs other shells and me missing long shots with out BC and guys making them with BC and vise versa when i had BC and they didn't. I will admit it the shot was about 15 yards away from the blind with a carlson extended full choke. I tend to shoot what is cheapest but prefer BC

Why do you shoot big steel pellets through a full choke? You do realize that's a no-no. You could bulge the choke or even tear it out of the bbl. If I were you, I would stop that practice right now. I don't want to see your bbl destroyed or to see you get hurt. The tightest I would ever go with steel shot would be a modified choke, but I never even go that tight. I use IC in the early part of the season and then switch to LM in December. That 15 yard shot of yours would be perfect for Skeet chokes (0.05).

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    Why do you shoot big steel pellets through a full choke? You do realize that's a no-no. You could bulge the choke or even tear it out of the bbl. If I were you, I would stop that practice right now. I don't want to see your bbl destroyed or to see you get hurt. The tightest I would ever go with steel shot would be a modified choke, but I never even go that tight. I use IC in the early part of the season and then switch to LM in December. That 15 yard shot of yours would be perfect for Skeet chokes (0.05).

From what I have read on choke boxes, such as Carson's, is that steel shot is safe up until you hit a super full or a turkey choke. Full and wider patterned chokes are perfectly safe to shoot steel out of.:thumbsup:

travismxi

Nov 14, 2010
    my stock chokes that came witht he gun say not to shoot bb through them, but my carlsons say it is ok to shoot up to bb through a full. I know the full wasn't ideal for a 15 yard shot. i like to have the ability for longer shots if need be so i use a full. that bird was shot after the main shoot of them locked up into the decoys then that bird circled back around right in front of the blind. i think i have it on video its pretty neat.

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    my stock chokes that came witht he gun say not to shoot bb through them, but my carlsons say it is ok to shoot up to bb through a full. I know the full wasn't ideal for a 15 yard shot. i like to have the ability for longer shots if need be so i use a full. that bird was shot after the main shoot of them locked up into the decoys then that bird circled back around right in front of the blind. i think i have it on video its pretty neat.
    Fulls are all myself and my hunting partners use on ducks and geese. We do good but the reason for this thread is that it seems the steel shot I am using in my 3" 870 take about 5-6 rounds after a bird is grounded to finish the job. I am just looking for an ammo that is a sure kill with 2-3 rounds tops. My buddy keeps telling me t shot is the shit. I will pay 20 bucks-30 bucks for stuff that works. But that is the kicker. Stuff that actually kills!!

travismxi

Nov 14, 2010
    It doesnt kill them instantly but i dont shoot them twice only if they are barely hit and diving/swimming away. Gather them up and ring their neck

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    I have made my choice on what to buy for day 1 of goose this fall!! Federal Black Cloud in 3" BB 1 1/4 oz out of a Carlson's full choke. Thanks for all the input guys. MPDC, I tried like Hell to locate Kent fasteel locally and came up empty. I did not want to order from Cabella's at this time but maybe give it a shot in the future. Thanks again!!

Attachments

• SI28-08-9L.jpg
      SI28-08-9L.jpg
      54.6 KB · Views: 76

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads