• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    I am getting ready to purchase some steel shot for yet another season of waterfowl. Last year I used Bind side(sucks) and Xpert velocity (got a few kills) from Winchester. I don't want to pay for Hevi shot but would be willing to try Black Cloud or Remington Hypersonic. Are any of you guys familiar with these rounds? Any suggestions on another load like Kent or something? These are being used for ducks and geese in a Remington 870 with full choke. Thanks!!:thumbsup:

HarCo.45

Nov 4, 2010
    I used black cloud all last year for ducks and geese and it rocked... I even picked up the version they have for pheasants (same thing in a different box I think).

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    I used black cloud all last year for ducks and geese and it rocked... I even picked up the version they have for pheasants (same thing in a different box I think).
    I felt ripped off at 25 bucks a box for bindside last year. My local gun shop has the hypersonics at 20 bucks a box. I will keep the black cloud in mind though. If I see as much action as I did last year, I may try both.:thumbsup:

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Having learned the hard way.......the school of hard knocks..... Buy quality steel shot for geese. Cheap stuff sucks and requires half a box for finishers of wounded birds. I have had good luck with Remington Nitro Steel Magnums BB's.

Good luck

Jerry

Last edited:

Mossyoak

Never enough
    Jan 5, 2009
    Ceciltucky
    Black cloud does seem to get penetration at further distance however like mentioned Kent steel has done the trick just fine for me for years.

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    Can one of you guys post a pic of the Kent steel boxes you are buying?. I need 3" and prefer bb and no larger than 2 shot. Thanks.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Slugs, 10ga slugs. That's all a real man needs.

Do you remember the old Marlin Model 55 Goose Gun? 12ga bolt action with a 36 inch barrel.

They made a 10 gauge version called the Marlin Super Goose. Saw one at a gun show a year or so ago. 38 or 40 inch barrel.....the thing was enormous.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    Do you remember the old Marlin Model 55 Goose Gun? 12ga bolt action with a 36 inch barrel.

They made a 10 gauge version called the Marlin Super Goose. Saw one at a gun show a year or so ago. 38 or 40 inch barrel.....the thing was enormous.

Have you ever shot a 10ga before? Eff that. And super eff 10ga slugs. I did it one time. I'm not gonna do it again. I thought 50 rounds of 300 win mag was punishing. I'd rather shoot 200 win mags than one 10ga slug.

They were some brave, hungry bastards that wielded 10ga slug guns.

Edit: 40" barrel may tame it a bit. The one I shot was a 28" NEF single shot.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Have you ever shot a 10ga before? Eff that. And super eff 10ga slugs. I did it one time. I'm not gonna do it again. I thought 50 rounds of 300 win mag was punishing. I'd rather shoot 200 win mags than one 10ga slug.

They were some brave, hungry bastards that wielded 10ga slug guns.

Edit: 40" barrel may tame it a bit. The one I shot was a 28" NEF single shot.

I have never had the pleasure. The closest I have gotten was a 3.5 inch Magnum shell....

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Can one of you guys post a pic of the Kent steel boxes you are buying?. I need 3" and prefer bb and no larger than 2 shot. Thanks.

Just a heads up, you got that backwards- BB is larger than 2's.

I've mostly used Xpert as well, it's cheap and gets the job done if you do your part, but the Winchester super x and super x drylock are a step up in quality.

I'm not a good enough shot to justify the cost of black cloud :( I need more practice.

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    Just a heads up, you got that backwards- BB is larger than 2's.

I've mostly used Xpert as well, it's cheap and gets the job done if you do your part, but the Winchester super x and super x drylock are a step up in quality.

I'm not a good enough shot to justify the cost of black cloud :( I need more practice.
    Yeah sorry about that. I knew the obious(shot size) just been a long day. My buddy is trying to locate this t shot shit and we can not find it anywhere. He got a hold of some last yeah but does not remember where he bought it. We are thinking Bass pro or Gander. I am leaning towards the remington Hypersonic's myself. If they suck I will move to Black Cloud.:thumbsup:

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    I shot a 20 ga with #2's and kill them fine. learn to lead the target keep the gun moving and shot them in the head and neck they die fine that way. And my cheep shells are blue box federal or kent fast steel.

you guys and your dam cannons

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010

I have one it is not bad as far as recoil due to the weight. It comes to the shoulder nicely but swings like a kayak.

As far as geese the best advice I ever got was focus on the beak and you will bring them down every time.

Deerminator

Jul 5, 2010
    Hagerstown
    Regardless of what you choose, you might want to check out Rogerssportinggoods.com for your ammo if you're buying by the case. A lot better prices than a place like Cabelas or Bass Pro and free shipping on most cases to boot!

I use HeviMetal #2s mostly for ducks and geese, but if I'm targeting geese specifically will switch to HM BBs. There is a $25 rebate on them for the month of August.

They have cases of Federal Ultra Shok Steel for $120 w/ free shipping too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom