• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    attachment-8[1].jpg
    8.jpg
    no reason to stay away from composits. they're lighter, cheaper, and just as tough...if not moreso. They don't pistol whip quite the same though....Also, get a striker fired gun. They have conistent trigger pul from first to second pull(compared to a da/sa) and generally don't have external safeties to worry about if you need the gun in a hurry. Other benefits of striker fireds are that you can get a higher grip(reduced muzzle flip) because of how the frame is allowed to be undercut below the slide in the rear from there not being hammer/spring junk that needs to fit there, faster lock time because of less accelerated mass after the sear releases, and because everything's internal and covered..less chance of gunk gumming up the works.

the p99 posted above has some features putting it in the running
    1) most ergonomic grip i've felt on a handgun, with ability to change backstraps for different hand sizes
    2) amidextrous magazine release mounted on trigger guard. you don't have to break your firing grip to pop out the mag, just reach trigger finger down and eject it
    3) Very well made magazines. Hold 15 rnds and have witness holes for every bullet you load
    4) rugged adjustable sights. Front blade comes out when set-screw is removed and you can put 2 taller or 1 shorter one, that comes with the gun, in for various distances. The rear is windage adjustable with a square screw head against a detent to hold it in place
    5) striated top. Knocks down glare off the top of the slide for better sight acquisition
    6) flared and dehorned ejection port/ slide. Aids positive extraction and there are no harsh angles to print or cut your hands during manipulation
    7) cold hammer-forged barrel. Very durable and extremely well-fit to the slide
    8) tennifer hardening. Glock's tennifer treatment has been applied to this gun, making the slide basically impervious to corrosion or wear
    9) it's german...... you know the germans make good stuff.
    10) giant extractor. Will rip the base off the case before if fails to extract(trust me, i know.....380 case got in with the 9mm reloads and it stuck in chamber after incredible overpressure boom...xtractor ripped case lip off, gun showed no signs of damage)
    11) Striker indicator. Tells if you're in sa or da
    12) decocker...so accurate you can shoot balls at 50 yds....oh, also you can hit a button on top of the slide to put it in da mode...a rarity for striker fired guns and a nice feature for some
    13) loaded chamber indicator. bright red mark near rear of extractor that shows you if there's a catridge in the chamber
    14) "safe action". when you chamber a round, the first trigger pull is the full length of a DA trigger pull, but only around 4 lbs. It audibly *clicks* when it passes it's return position while pulling the trigger to let you know before accidentally shooting under stress. After the first pull, the trigger returns only 1/3" or so instead of the full length for faster shots
    15) they guarantee accuracy and ship the gun with a factory test target..mine is about 1.5" at 25 meters.
    16) James bond uses it, the hero i most identify with on a personal level. He's great at everything he does with the fatal flaw of women.

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    What is the best 9mm you can buy for under $1,200? I'm looking for accuracy and dependability. Also trying to stay away from something that is plastic or composite.

Lots of ideas so far.....

But I think you should mention what you plan to do with the piece.

I think your application makes a difference.

Just sayin

R

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Noob here - over the past couple of weeks, I've seen reference to NH made Sigs vs Germany made Sigs but not the reasons why some prefer one over the other. Sorry to hijack the thread, but can someone either provide the background or post a link to a thread where this has already been covered?

Thanks in advance.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Noob here - over the past couple of weeks, I've seen reference to NH made Sigs vs Germany made Sigs but not the reasons why some prefer one over the other. Sorry to hijack the thread, but can someone either provide the background or post a link to a thread where this has already been covered?

Thanks in advance.

Quality. The German guns seem to be far better.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    If you want an exceptional 9mm S/A look for a Smith&Wesson 952 used. They can be found for around 1000-1200. Wilson Combat has a new 9mm that is not on the approved list yet. It is a great gun for the money, it's modeled after the old KZ-9. You could check
    with 2A Sales for that. Last but not least there are some tricked out CZ 75's being produced that are very nice but hard to get for us Marylanders, there are a few IP's that will get one and do the fired shell casing. At that price buy something that will hold it's value and be a standout. The only sig I would suggest would be a p210, and they ain't cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom