• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bushwood

Farm Raised
    Jan 27, 2013
    The Dena
    Bersa owners, I need your help. I just picked up a Bersa Thunder .380 and have not shot it yet ( I only picked it up last night, the range is in a day or two). But, last night I decided to see if my home defense ammo I bought, would load and eject properly by racking the slide.

Here is where the issue occured... the ammo being used was 90 grain JHP Hydra-Shok. As I pulled the slide back and released, My slide doesnt go forward and I see the bullet is getting caught on the barrel feeding up the ramp.

Now, I already consulted Clandestine on the matter, and unfortunately they don't work on Bersa's because they have been known to have this problem feeding Hollow points. I AM NOT DOUBTING CLANDESTINE AT ALL But my question is, what ammo do you use for your defense? Has anyone had success with any other brand of hollowpoint?And what is best to remove the tiny bit of brass that is now on the gap between my barrel and feed ramp?

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Gotta say, I had a Bersa and when it worked properly it was the most enjoyable gun to shoot that I've ever owned.

However, I had numerous problems including a similar one as you mention and that was with FMJ ammo. In fact, it came down to the conclusion that the only bullet profile that it liked was the Winchester ammo.

I had numerous case where it would try to strip the round off of the magazine and then get the entire mechanism hung up.

I regretted selling it in some ways because I really enjoyed the gun when it ran, but I can't own something that I can't rely on.

Sell that thing and get yourself something that runs.

regulator

First I must say I don't own one and real gunsmithsmiths feel freel to correct me if I am wrong.

If it was my pistol, I would disassemble it, and work on the feed ramp. Polishing, not grinding. You can find the process with a quick search. Start with 320 grit sandpaper and work through the process to a quality paste until the ramp looks like a mirror with no scratches or flaws.

I have used this on all of my semi autos from the duty/edc's to the safe queens right out of the box.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    YOU DOUBT THE WORD OF CLANDESTINE? HOW DARE YOU!

;):D

One thing I forgot to mention is a ,380 does not do very well with HP Ammo anyway. It often does not penetrate enough. Ball Ammo, while only making a small cavity does a better job at reaching critical organs.

If you cant get resolution Ill reconsider and see what we can do to make your gun run a little more predicable.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    federal efmj if you can find it or hornady critical defense.

Bushwood

Farm Raised
    Jan 27, 2013
    The Dena
    Thank you everyone for responding. I'm going to go to the range either tomorrow or thursday, and see how it runs on ball ammo. I will be on the lookout for the federal efmj or guard dog as they are being remarketed as, or the hornady critical defense. And if I have any more problems like this... then I'll be giving Clandestine a call, which I am ever so grateful for extending that offer to me. I can promise you as soon as one of my guns needs work, I will be bringing it to scotts!

Watdahec

Flipside
    Oct 31, 2012
    Glen burnie
    Bersa has a lifetime warranty, call the manufacturer and and they will give you the info on where to get it fixed. I personally own a thunder .380 and had a major malfunction a few months ago, was running fmj down the range and the trigger went limp and the slide got very stiff to slide back. Sent it in and got it back within a week, i roughly ran about 1200 rounds through several fmj and jhp never really had major issues ammowise except on jhp, i do get an occasional stovepipe. Nevertheless, really happy about my james bond gun clone.

Bushwood

Farm Raised
    Jan 27, 2013
    The Dena
    BTW does anyone want some .380 hydra shok? I bought 2 boxes for 24.95 each, let em go for 20 each, might as well get rid of it if I can't shoot it.

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    Wife has this gun. No issues to date. Note sure I have tried that same ammo.

Not sure where you will shoot but if you wanted to meet some time to see if our gun has similar issues.....

Bushwood

Farm Raised
    Jan 27, 2013
    The Dena
    Wife has this gun. No issues to date. Note sure I have tried that same ammo.

Not sure where you will shoot but if you wanted to meet some time to see if our gun has similar issues.....

I'm in Pasadena, so I have gone to On Target, But I do plan on checking out Freestate, I've heard nothing but good things about the place. I wouldn't mind meeting up compare pistols and see how they both run on different ammo.

Apr 5, 2013
    I have a bersa thunder 380 Conceal carry and it wouldnt feed Hornady hollows untill I shot the recommended break in of 500 rounds of cheap target ammo. Feeds no problem now. I did see where some people had to send theres back for ramp polishing

demmo

Apr 26, 2009
    I own a Bersa as well and it would not feed any hollow point bullets when I first bought it. Under the advice of several people on here and a few others I ran several hundered rounds of fmj ammo (flawlessly) through the gun and did a light polishing on the ramp and now the gun will feed hollow point ammo with out fail.

However I prefer Hard cast rounds from Buffalo Bore for self defense in my 380s.

Bushwood

Farm Raised
    Jan 27, 2013
    The Dena
    I have a bersa thunder 380 Conceal carry and it wouldnt feed Hornady hollows untill I shot the recommended break in of 500 rounds of cheap target ammo. Feeds no problem now. I did see where some people had to send theres back for ramp polishing

I was wondering if it would ease up after a few hundred rounds.... Maybe I will hold onto this ammo until I put a few down range. I'm hoping it just needs to be broken in, if not I'll try different ammo, and see what the pro gunsmith can do.

geez I can't wait to break it in. Maybe I can get to the range tomorrow:fingerscrossed:

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    I was wondering if it would ease up after a few hundred rounds.... Maybe I will hold onto this ammo until I put a few down range. I'm hoping it just needs to be broken in, if not I'll try different ammo, and see what the pro gunsmith can do.

geez I can't wait to break it in. Maybe I can get to the range tomorrow:fingerscrossed:

We have some rounds of through ours. Free state would work sometime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom