Beretta USA Announces Decision to Move Its Entire Maryland Manufacturing Capabilities

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Odiferous Maximus

Feb 16, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    "Beretta U.S.A.’s production of the U.S. Armed Forces M9 9mm pistol will continue at the Accokeek, Maryland facility until all current orders from the U.S. Armed Forces have been filled."

So the Army wants to go to a new handgun...how much do you want to bet that, no matter what Beretta submits, they will never get the new contract?

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    The democrats who run this state don't care about Beretta's tax revenue. They see things like that as a drop in the bucket compared to what the state takes in from all the fed and contractor spending. What did help us before in the General Assembly was that there were some powerful members of the Assembly from PG County who didn't want to lose a lot of votes. But in the end, I'm sure the wealthy elitists from MoCo who run the GA could really care less if 300 Beretta employees and maybe another 1000 people in the nearby supporting economy lose their jobs. They can just go back to their exclusive gated communities and talk about the "necessary sacrifices" of others at their quiche parties.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    Personally, I'm looking forward to being able to hang this around Ol' Bottlebrush's neck, and take Mike Miller and Dumbass along for the ride.

For that matter, it can be used against any incumbent who allowed this to happen, because Beretta isn't the only one.

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    I think it is interesting that the press release came out the same time as the hearing on the FSA gun ban. Two gun related stories in one news cycle, each supporting the other with the ill effects of the FSA.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Still a little surprised to see this happen. It has got to be extraordinarily expensive.

The expenses are tax write-offs. Plus TN is probably kicking in a ton of incentives (lower taxes in every way for years to come). Wouldn't surprise me if Beretta's overall expenses, spread out over the next few years, are close to a wash compared to staying here.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    We need to drive the point home that those aren't 300 jobs being lost. Those are 300 PAYER jobs being lost. Three hundred people who pay more taxes than they get in benefits from the state.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    We need to drive the point home that those aren't 300 jobs being lost. Those are 300 PAYER jobs being lost. Three hundred people who pay more taxes than they get in benefits from the state.

We need to get into the habit of applying multipliers. Use mind games to our fullest advantage. 300 taxpayers losing a good job at one facility means 2-3x more people will lose jobs in the surrounding area due to lost business, meaning our story's headline should read "1,000 jobs to be lost due to O'Malley and general assembly".

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    glad to hear beretta's news. sounds like senior mgmt. will stay put though - they should move EVERYTHING to a state that supports their business.

just as consumers can vote with their pocketbooks, so can (and should) businesses.

while Maryland will have less tax revenue in its coffers, Marylanders can sleep safely now knowing that crime has been all but wiped away due to their govt's draconian acts.

gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    Glad they decided to man up with what they said last year . Just wished they waited to October and put it on Owe'Malley and Brown could of swung the election

I think their timing is pretty good, and probably by design. The elections are only a couple months away. That gives time for some of the economic realities to set in and be felt. Workers will start looking for jobs, or putting their house on the market, support business will be making plans to cutback. We just need to keep this in the news through October.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    glad to hear beretta's news. sounds like senior mgmt. will stay put though - they should move EVERYTHING to a state that supports their business.

just as consumers can vote with their pocketbooks, so can (and should) businesses.

while Maryland will have less tax revenue in its coffers, Marylanders can sleep safely now knowing that crime has been all but wiped away due to their govt's draconian acts.

Beretta may want offices close to DC - to smooze with those agencies that may buy their products.

Indeed, crime wrought to Maryland by Beretta will move away with them. /sarcasm

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    Great news. I look forward to buying an over/under made by them. I hope to find one made in TN. Hopefully this will make Miller vulnerable.

dwhaley

Oct 20, 2008
    Didn't they say FSA would have zero economic impact?

Why bother with dollars and sense, when you have a never-ending faucet of federal funny money pouring into the state from the country at large? All the contractors, government employees, etc. etc. etc.

dwhaley

Oct 20, 2008
    Beretta may want offices close to DC - to smooze with those agencies that may buy their products.

Sorry for the double-post, but I just wanted to add that mil/LEO sales constitute a small minority of Beretta's US sales. Single digits, IIRC. This was relayed to me via a Beretta employee.

runswscissors

Jul 11, 2008
    Harford County

That's the problem. They will continue to keep staff here in MD even after moving the assembly to TN.

If they continue to have employees here in MD, they will still pay MD income taxes, MD sales taxes, and other miscellaneous MD taxes (payroll taxes? Personal Property taxes, etc). The income taxes would be a smaller allocation, but they'll still be paying them.

If they moved completely out of MD, they wouldn't have to worry about any MD taxes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom