• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Who is checking foreign parts compliance?
    I was not sure what you were referring to. The foreign parts thing is usually a reference to complete guns. Who cares what parts you put into a gun? No one.

As for the legality of SBRing the gun in question, it will still need to be over 29" OAL, even if the gun was owned prior to 10/2013. When you SBR a gun, it becomes a new gun, subject to current regs, as long as it remains in the SBR configuration.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I'm not understanding... is this something that is even checked?

You bought the gun here, not like you are importing it now, why would all of a sudden it need all new 922R compliance just from shortening the barrel?
    What I have read this far,, (on the internet),
    rifles and shotguns can be imported in the sporting configuration,, if you alter that long gun with certain features (threaded barrel, etc, etc) then it may/will become a prohibited imported firearm.
    The way around it is, ATF has a list of 20 parts of a typ long gun,, if only 10 or less parts are "Non USA made" then it is not considered an import and you are free to alter as you please.

This is a rabbit hole of government stupidity if I have ever seen it.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    SBRing a gun makes it a new gun(Making an SBR), for all intents and purposes, and for the most part, subject to current regs.
    My understanding is that shortening and/or threading the barrel kicks out of the imported sporting arms configuration,, and no longer legal as an import,, thus the need for more USA parts and less foreign parts.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    My understanding is that shortening and/or threading the barrel kicks out of the imported sporting arms configuration,, and no longer legal as an import,, thus the need for more USA parts and less foreign parts.
    I don't get it. Show me where.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    I don't get it. Show me where.
    Trust me, I am still trying to figure it all out.
    But the general "buzz" I am getting is that semi auto rifles and shotguns can only be imported in a sporting configuration. And you can not convert them to a nonsporting configuration,,,
    Unless they contain 10 or less "foreign" parts from the list put out by the ATF.

here is one of many articles I am going through.

"Under this revision, it is illegal to assemble a nonsporting semiautomatic shotgun or rifle, or one that is identical to a nonsporting semiautomatic shotgun or rifle that is specifically forbidden under the Gun Control Act of 1968 – using a certain number of imported parts. ""

So is modifying the same as assembling?

EDIT:
    this is a better article:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Besides, the AFT will either ok it or turn it down. You are applying for a stamp. It's up to them. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    What are you doing other than cutting the barrel?
    the plan is cutting (sbr) and threading the barrel.
    I "think" people are saying the threaded barrel will knock it out of the "Sporting Rifle" classification. And then I am replacing parts to make it 922r compliant.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    Besides, the AFT will either ok it or turn it down. You are applying for a stamp. It's up to them. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    10 years ago I would have thought that,,, today I would not be shocked if they OK'd the SBR, then knocked on the door 6 months later.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    Yeah, that's not gonna happen
    I'm gonna dig a little deeper, I'll post what I find.
    Thing is, Cutting the barrel (Form1 SBR) may not violate the sporting configuration,, and the ATF approves it. But then threading it does violate the sporting configuration.
    The ATF is not OKing threading it on the form 1 ?
    I honestly have no idea,, all these rules and paper work is childish in my mind,, just lock the friggin criminals up and leave us alone is my thought.

anyhow,, I have nothing better to do then hours to spend trying to be a lawyer,,, :sarcasm:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    :)

beretta-cx4-2.jpg

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    Yup,
    But as I am just getting my simple mind wrapped around the federal SBR and 922r rules,,
    I am reminded about Maryland's 29" OAL length for SBRs.
    The CX4 with its stock 16.6" barrel has an OAl of 29.7",,
    So I am assuming the AFT would deny a form 1 to cut 5" off the CX4s barrel in MD.

So my only option is to cut the barrel, thread it and permanently attach a suppressor ?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yup,
    But as I am just getting my simple mind wrapped around the federal SBR and 922r rules,,
    I am reminded about Maryland's 29" OAL length for SBRs.
    The CX4 with its stock 16.6" barrel has an OAl of 29.7",,
    So I am assuming the AFT would deny a form 1 to cut 5" off the CX4s barrel in MD.

So my only option is to cut the barrel, thread it and permanently attach a suppressor ?
    I would search for a barrel shroud to permanently attach to the barrel. They're out there. That way, your can will be easier to clean and service.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You need something like this(avoiding the SBR thing all together):

Do a general search for suppressor shrouds.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    I would search for a barrel shroud to permanently attach to the barrel. They're out there. That way, your can will be easier to clean and service.
    Thanks for the insight,, i'll see what shrouds work with what suppressors,, or if the suppressor manufactures make something that works together.
    There are a a few states that ban SBRs but allow suppressors,, so I can not be the 1st looking for a solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom