• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Have several thousand through my M9 over the last 10 or so years, never a problem. Beretta claims 3rd gen last 20K+, so just shoot it, then $30 for a replacement kit if it cracks and you are good. Hot +p or 40 in a 96 probably wear it out faster, weak recoil springs too.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    When I was doing the small arm training for my squadron, I want to say we replaced them every 5k rounds. I could be wrong but that's sounds familiar to me.

On our last qual before we went overseas we had a half dozen, at least, cracked locking blocks so I replaced them all to be safe.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    I bought my 92FS in 1990. I got 5,000 rounds and mine cracked. I track round count. Beretta replaced it for free. The new block has radius' cut in the corners. I probably have an additional 3,000 rounds since. I talked with a sales rep last week, and sounds like they are not replacing them for free anymore, unless it's new gun. Not sure how long that period is.

Last edited:

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    My friend has a 92F with a documented 65000 + rds thru it still has the same locking block. When I worked at beretta We had some guns with over 125000 rds on the original locking block. The 1s the failed were made in Italy ( the locking Block not necessarily the entire gun, Beretta USA couldn't keep up with locking blocks at the time) back in the late 80s early 90s . They used a type of metal that had hardener mixed in. When it was poured into bars the hardener didn't mix evenly causing hard spots in different sections on the material. The hardener was used to cut cost ( not by Beretta but the metal company that provided the material) in the heat treat process. By the time Beretta had found this problem , several years of production had already happened. I could be wrong, But I don't believe its a issue with the gun anymore.

kmittleman

Nov 22, 2010
    Howard County
    I bought my 92FS in 1990. I got 5,000 rounds and mine cracked. I track round count. Beretta replaced it for free. The new block has radius' cut in the corners. I probably have an additional 3,000 rounds since. I talked with a sales rep last week, and sounds like they are not replacing them for free anymore, unless it's new gun. Not sure how long that period is.

When it cracked, how did you know? Did the gun stop functioning?

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    When it cracked, how did you know? Did the gun stop functioning?

Ours locked up tight. We smacked them with a hammer to get the block to change position and then was able to disassemble them. Every one that failed failed in the exact same area. The pieces were almost identical from gun to gun.

I wouldn't let it sour you on them though. It seems as though the problem was identified and corrected. If you have an older gun and are unsure of the year of production, just change it out.

Orthogonal

Jul 23, 2013
    Bel Air
    I would worry about recoil springs long before locking block on a modern production 92FS. I do mine at around 5k mark.

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    Had BNIB M9s issued (doesn't mean they were manufactured 20 years prior) in 2006. We burned 5500 rounds in less than a week... all 9 guns broke the block. But we were torture testing for the most part (High Threat Protective Operations course)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom