• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    2moa dot is fine for comparison. The strikefire dot gets really small on lower settings. Even still i think it would be ok to give that advantage to the ak. I guess that could make up for the ar's "higher accuracy" or even longer barrel. I agree this is mainly an excuse to have fun.

jdramsey

Troll hunter.
    Aug 5, 2009
    St. Mary's Co. MD
    This is like asking witch is better, a Corvet or an F-150? It all depends on what you want to do. The corvet will out perform the F-150 in every way, until you need to go off road, or pick up some drywall from Lowes, or take a load of crap to the land fill. You guys might as well compare apples and oranges.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    This is like asking witch is better, a Corvet or an F-150? It all depends on what you want to do. The corvet will out perform the F-150 in every way, until you need to go off road, or pick up some drywall from Lowes, or take a load of crap to the land fill. You guys might as well compare apples and oranges.

i would go so far to say that this is not entirely true. keep in mind that these two rifles were born 20 years apart. in its day the AK-47 was the most advanced combat rifle in the world. just as the original M16 was in its inception. although these rifles share many differences, they are ultimately designed to fill the same role. they are combat rifles, through and through.

with as "advanced" as people feel their AR's are...they really are very simple machines...the AK could have been designed with closer tolerances, however Kalashnikov knew that this would bring problems in different environmental conditions...so he designed a rifle that would do what it needs to do anywhere in the world, and give the power of a machine gun to every soldier...

the AR platform (keep in mind the AR came first, then the m16) was designed with one main focus...weight, or lack there of i should say. keep it light weight was the driving force behind every material and part on that rifle...from the caliber to operating system. in an interview with both Kalashnikov and Stoner, stoner mentioned how hard pressed the military was on keeping the weight down, and how he had to make sacrifices on features of the rifle due to these restrictions...after it was all said and done the end result was a light rifle, firing a light round allowing soldiers to carry more gear and ammo.

the history behind both rifles, the mind set and development process of their designers, and the trials and tribulation each platform went through before it became what it is know as today has always amazed me, and really is the driving force behind my admiration for all firearms.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    my aimpoint is a 2moa dot. we've been planning this weekend for 2 months now, the grove is only 5 minutes from my house and we have a lot of plans what with shooting and grilling and such...and ultimately, even though we will be testing the accuracy of out two guns, this weekend is about fun, not competition.

this thought crossed my mind last night...there are two stereotypes that both AR fans and AK fans are always trying to combat...for the AR, it is that they are not jamaholics, and are actually very reliable and durable platforms...for the AK it is that they are not just inaccurate minute-of-barn rifles, and are actually capable of putting down decent groups. at the end of the day, regardless of what anyone does it will never change these stereotypes...there are alot of people who have proven accuracy with the AK platform, and there are alot of people who have proven the dependability of the AR...but after all of it...the AR still locks up at the sight of sand and dirt, and the AK can hit anything, as long as it is within 100 yards and the size of a school bus.

:thumbsup:

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Have a link to the stoner/kalashnikov interview? Id love to see that.

I think we need to verify for others what the true nature of the test is, i think most ppl seeing this thread think its the old accuracy, relieability, tests. From my understanding the test is supposed to be geared more towards a match enviroment, which allows optics, etc.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Have a link to the stoner/kalashnikov interview? Id love to see that.

I think we need to verify for others what the true nature of the test is, i think most ppl seeing this thread think its the old accuracy, relieability, tests. From my understanding the test is supposed to be geared more towards a match enviroment, which allows optics, etc.

sadly i have yet to find the full interview, however i did see this, along with a few other small parts of it, within another video...i will try to dig it up and post it...im looking for it right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqGxwpOBNrc
    2:31
    9:23

i would really love to find this interview...

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    Rather than an AK47, perhaps an AK74 would be a better choice? It uses similar ammunition, and is supposedly more accurate than the 7.62x39 caliber AK.

Phoenix_55

Apr 19, 2011
    Virginia
    I think it's just a fun way to spend a day at the range. Nothing wrong with that,

Exactly. I don't want anyone getting their panties in a bunch over this. This is more of an excuse to have fun with some fellow MD shooter at the range than it is a scientific study. :gun1: Just as Nemesis said, no matter what we do here, the old stereotypical argument remains.

Ak74 against ar15 would be interesting.....

That it would. Too bad we don't have one....yet :innocent0

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    From the little research i did last night it looks like the 5.45x39 is a superior round to the 5.56. One video showed it was pretty accurate at 300yards, and the rifle wasmt pointing straight up in the air either. Maybe the ar has met its match.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    From the little research i did last night it looks like the 5.45x39 is a superior round to the 5.56. One video showed it was pretty accurate at 300yards, and the rifle wasmt pointing straight up in the air either. Maybe the ar has met its match.

Superior how? The design on some military bullets have proven to be somewhat effective at circumventing the Hague Convention's ban on hollow points, but the round itself is inferior in every way.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Superior how? The design on some military bullets have proven to be somewhat effective at circumventing the Hague Convention's ban on hollow points, but the round itself is inferior in every way.

What i saw showed it causing more damage inside ballistic gel. They said it fragments better. I hope the 5.56 is better since im an ar guy, this is the first bit of research ive done on the 5.45.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom