• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Alright,
    So it's been a while since I bought any (last I bought were a couple "Super duty" from Dennys guns). What's a good "go-to" BCG now? Toolcraft, SOLGW, Sionics? Not looking at fancy high-dollar BCGs.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Alright,
    So it's been a while since I bought any (last I bought were a couple "Super duty" from Dennys guns). What's a good "go-to" BCG now? Toolcraft, SOLGW, Sionics? Not looking at fancy high-dollar BCGs.
    All are good. Some people prefer phosphate over nitride over NP3, etc. Personally, I like phosphate with chrome lining with a 158 carpenter steel bolt.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I thought maybe you were going back to boot camp

2638077662_f6a67c2dab_z.jpg

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    BCM and Daniel Defense are my go to carriers. I’ve generally found BCM carriers for $10-$20 less than the DD carriers.

You can do fine for less, but I trust their QC. I would equally trust a SOLGW carrier.

Avoid the fancy coating nonsense.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Toolcraft or Aero Precision for me. Aero always sends me emails with their BCGs discounted.

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    I thought maybe you were going back to boot camp
    :lol2:That is exactly where my mind went for that acronym. I couldn't come up with anything other than "birth control glasses" until reading through the thread and seeing Outrider's search link that I had my "oh yeah" moment.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    If purchasing a complete BCG, I lean towards BCM. If breaking down further and just talking about bolts, my preference there is JP. I've run others (Radian, Toolcraft, Rubber City, Armalite, Stag and probably one or two other manufacturers) and only encountered short headspace or other concerns on two of those brands. I'm confident there's other great options outside of my preference. Working with SOTAR in the past, no matter what I run, I'll run through a portion of the checks which you can see in his BCG dissection videos.

For an AR10 (308/6.5creed) - I only run JP bolts there.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    At this time anything made by Colt or Microbest is what normally passes my testing with flying colors. That can always change.

Microbest is an OEM for several manufacturers such as SOLGW, Sonics.

I avoid NiB and Nitride due to issues I have repeatedly seen.

Last edited:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I often wonder what the real difference is on some of these components. I don't have any high end or name brand BCGs. In the 4 that I've "built" (I've only built two from the ground up) I have:

DelTon - phosphate
    PSA (x2) - NiB
    Toolcraft - NiB

Everything goes bang. I've never had a malfunction or anything that would indicate that there's anything "wrong" with any of them. Granted, I don't push any of these rifles very hard, so take it for what's it's worth - not a lot - but if everything is made from carpenter steel, and everything is spec'd to within decent tolerances, how much does it really matter? Even high end stuff can break.

I know a person can sleep better at night knowing they have a BCM or Aero BCG, but for now I'll be fine using Toolcraft or PSA, although I might bump up to an Aero for my next one.

Chad, had I known then what I know now based on what you've posted, I might have avoided the NiB when I ordered the last ones. I liked the idea of them being easy to clean, but I don't like the idea of breaking and poor tolerances, although I have had zero issues with the 3 that I have. My next ones will be either black nitride or phosphate.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    If your C158 bolt isn't individual HPT and MPI it has about a 2-3% chance of early failure. This is a known failure rate for proper bolt steel. It's why HPT is done, to find the bad ones before they make it into the real world.

Just because a bolt is marked that it has been high pressure tested and magnetical particle inspected does not mean that it was individually done.

Most people don't shoot their guns enough to see failures so manufacturers push junk knowing few will fail based on most peoples shooting habits.

Price and brand is not an guaranteed indicator of quality or durability.

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I still see them on GB under $200.
    Colt BCG are no better than most other mil spec BGC

You can get an AO Chrome/Phosphate carrier with 158 CS bolt for $90

A Toolcraft same finish for as low as $90(blem) or $130 first quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom