• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I purchased this set up while it was on sale last week from Primary Arms and it came in the mail yesterday.

https://www.primaryarms.com/WMD_NIB...rier_Group_No_Ham_p/nibxbcg-0001-chbundle.htm

Unfortunately, there was no firing pin, no cam pin, and no firing pin retaining pin in the box. I have only bought two BCGs in the past and they both came with all of the aforementioned. The picture in the advertisement clearly shows the cam pin and the verbiage only says that this BCG does not included the hammer.

Thoughts on this? I did email Primary Arms this morning. It is unfortunate because I purchased this for an out of town friend who is coming to my house for the weekend in anticipation of finishing his build.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I believe it is a mistake on their part. Primary Arms is a decent company and I bet will make it right. I am not particularly close to you, but I have a extras of those parts you could have and then give me back the replacements when you sort out the problem.

Merlin593

Mar 29, 2013
    Towson, MD
    I believe it is a mistake on their part. Primary Arms is a decent company and I bet will make it right. I am not particularly close to you, but I have a extras of those parts you could have and then give me back the replacements when you sort out the problem.

X2 - I would call them as well first thing this am when they open and explain the situation. They'll probably drop something in the mail today for delivery tomorrow or Saturday at the latest to help you finish the build.

Nice offer from Atblis!

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County

I appreciate the offer. I am guessing that I can probably pull those parts out of one of my rifles and even though they are not Nickle Boron, at least he will be able to shoot it this weekend.

Any issues with using a phosphate Cam Pin with a Nickel Boron BCG?

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    PA did the right thing and overnighted a new "complete" BCG so that it would be here for the weekend. It took a couple of emails as I think the normal protocal is to have the manufacturer send out misssing parts. Once I explained the situation they took action. Good company to deal with.

Now on the the next issue. We fired 120 rounds thru the gun with the new nickle boron BCG. When tearing it down to clean we were unable to completely get all of the black off of the bolt itself. We were under the impression that it should just wipe off but no amount of solvent or brass brushing would make it clean.

It is not a huge deal because it is hidden inside the carrier, but shouldn't it clean up and look like new again?

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    That's NiB! One of the more overrated gotta have AR bling bling features recently IMO.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Could be worse, at least the NiB didn't chip and flake off... (which can and does happen with plating treatments)

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    That's NiB! One of the more overrated gotta have AR bling bling features recently IMO.

Maybe, but it is a hell of a lot easier to clean, make sure you cleaned it than the standard BCGs. If people are buying them because they believe the myths then yeah it is over rated. I like the overall feel and look of NiB and Chrome BCGs.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    The guy wanted a NiB BCG. He didn't buy it so that he didn't have to oil it, or because he could drag it down the beach and shoot it when it is full of sand or any of the other far fetched "myths." He bought it because he wanted it and he could afford the extra $50. Now he is just a little disappointed that the bolt itself doesn't just "wipe off" like carrier did (and like I told him it would). Not the end of the world as you can't see it anyway when in the rifle.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    The guy wanted a NiB BCG. He didn't buy it so that he didn't have to oil it, or because he could drag it down the beach and shoot it when it is full of sand or any of the other far fetched "myths." He bought it because he wanted it and he could afford the extra $50. Now he is just a little disappointed that the bolt itself doesn't just "wipe off" like carrier did (and like I told him it would). Not the end of the world as you can't see it anyway when in the rifle.

Bolt is still easier to clean than the standard finish ones. Who would have thunk the the bolt especially the face that gets all the blow back and would be a little tougher to clean. :D

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Bolt is still easier to clean than the standard finish ones. Who would have thunk the the bolt especially the face that gets all the blow back and would be a little tougher to clean. :D

My guess is that you just don't see the black residue on the non standard or phosphate bolts.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    My guess is that you just don't see the black residue on the non standard or phosphate bolts.

That is it mostly, once you use whatever to clean the gun, hard to tell the carbon from the finish, it takes me twice as long to clean my phosphate bolts as it does my NiB/Chrome ones. :D it is mostly because I can't tell the phosphate ones are clean enough by sight.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    shouldn't it clean up and look like new again?

lol.

no.

It appears you didn't research much, just read some sales pitches. Which is okay...everyone makes mistakes. :)

NiB carriers that aren't chrome-lined inside tend to have issues with the gas rings binding up and seizing completely eventually. Along with that is the instant splotchy staining that occurs.

Honestly, for the drawbacks, and the fact it's really not all that it's cracked up to be, I'd just go with a standard phosphated carrier. If I *REALLY* needed something colorful because I felt the need to be a special snowflake and ride the boutique trend wave to its fullest, I'd go with a hard chromed BCG.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Hard chrome does add visual appeal, but I know Daniel Defense's HC BCG isn't a true M16 carrier, has the AR-15 SA tail on the carrier.

I picked up a black nitride one, time will tell if it's worth what I paid for it. It spec'd out great though.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    lol.

no.

It appears you didn't research much, just read some sales pitches. Which is okay...everyone makes mistakes. :)

NiB carriers that aren't chrome-lined inside tend to have issues with the gas rings binding up and seizing completely eventually. Along with that is the instant splotchy staining that occurs.

Honestly, for the drawbacks, and the fact it's really not all that it's cracked up to be, I'd just go with a standard phosphated carrier. If I *REALLY* needed something colorful because I felt the need to be a special snowflake and ride the boutique trend wave to its fullest, I'd go with a hard chromed BCG.

Do you think that you could have typed that without being so condescending? Do you speak to people like this in person or just on the internet?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Do you think that you could have typed that without being so condescending? Do you speak to people like this in person or just on the internet?

What you see is what you get with him, it's just in person it makes you laugh some. :D

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    Do you speak to people like this in person or just on the internet?

My parents raised me to be honest and not pussyfoot around worrying about people's feelings; the medium of my interaction with them is irrelevant. (means i'm very straightforward in providing a factual response, and am undeterred by the thought someone may take offense to the truth, as that seems to be the entitlement more and more in this country)

If I offended any precious snowflakes by letting the OP know it's okay to make mistakes, and then providing some of the information that causes many to stay away from nickel boron coated parts, I sincerely apologize.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    My parents raised me to be honest and not pussyfoot around worrying about people's feelings; the medium of my interaction with them is irrelevant. (means i'm very straightforward in providing a factual response, and am undeterred by the thought someone may take offense to the truth, as that seems to be the entitlement more and more in this country)

If I offended any precious snowflakes, I sincerely apologize.

That's cool, and no offense taken. I was just wondering if when in person, do you speak to complete strangers as if they were somehow less intelligent than you? Now I have the answer.

My parents raised me that is isn't what you say, but rather how you say it. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Charles of the Manor

Latest threads

Top Bottom